Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Multiple domains in .Mac?

Multiple domains in .Mac?
CrazedVW
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2008, 07:16 PM

I've been looking for an answer to this and haven't been able to find anything.

Is it possible to use multiple domains with the family .Mac account? I don't mean linking multiple domains to the same website but rather using different domains for different websites? i.e. Since it's five total .Mac accounts (One main and four smaller ones) can I use a domainone.com to point to the main account, domaintwo.net to point one of the "sub" accounts, and so on and so forth?

My fiance and I each have our names registered for professional websites and I also have a domain registered for a work related website. All of our websites are built using iWeb because it's simple to use but it's a royal pain to use it with other hosting. I'd like to get .Mac because of the integration with iWeb and ease of updating but can't find an answer to this question anywhere.

Thanks!
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2008, 07:27 PM

That has nothing to do with .Mac.

Wherever you registered your domain with, you should be able to do a dumb forwarding of certain URLs or subdomains. There is probably some control panel that lets you set up your domains.

-t

CrazedVW  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2008, 07:39 PM

I could yes but if I understand correctly how that works it would show the real (.Mac) address once you go anywhere on the site. I want the domain name to stay in the address bar regardless of where you go on the site. Like:

www.domaintwo.net/home
www.domaintwo.net/aboutme
www.domaintwo.net/resume

I hope that makes sense.
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2008, 08:05 PM

No, that won't show the .Mac address when you follow relative links within the site, if the server did the redirect. But maybe not all domain name registrants support this feature. My web host does, and I use it, so I know it works, but I don't know the exact technical term of this feature. It has nothing to do with .Mac though. It's a feature of wherever you registered your domain(s).

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2008, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by CrazedVW View Post
I could yes but if I understand correctly how that works it would show the real (.Mac) address once you go anywhere on the site. I want the domain name to stay in the address bar regardless of where you go on the site. Like:

www.domaintwo.net/home
www.domaintwo.net/aboutme
www.domaintwo.net/resume

I hope that makes sense.
To get the domain name to appear in the URL window you'll need to have the domain name provider use domain name masking. However, that can cause some of the .Mac functions to not work as I recall reading. You should visit the iWeb forum at Apple and search for "domain name masking". You can't use the Apple CNAME domain feature if you want masking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules