Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Another, TRUE OS X: lets move to it

Another, TRUE OS X: lets move to it
Hash
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2001, 01:34 PM

I have got OS X, which is incredibly fast, ultra-responsive, has a great choice of software and hardware, is greatly customizable, flexible and powerful. It has multi-tasking, protected memory, does not crush computer, has all you can dream about-speed, reliability and responsiveness. You think I am joking? No! It is called Classic on OS X: indeed, it got all the features described above, a TRUE blend of Mac and UNIX, one which got UNIX fundamentals with lightning speed of OS 9. I think that THIS IS TRUE OS X, and not the slow and half-baked aqua layer, someone mistakenly called OS X, the most progressive software on Earth..

Toss out aqua, leave Classic, improve it, and you ve got really killing OS..aqua may remain as one of appearance themes.. It will be great OS X..One which has all needed software, can run everything, has all drivers-(almost but a lot compared to current OSX), speed, great Finder..Dock may be made to run for Classic..rewrite Classic if needed to include best of current OS X..man, this would be greatest TRUE OS X.

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2001, 02:17 PM

You just don't get it do you?

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2001, 02:29 PM

"MacOS X is crap!" - Oh darn, peaople bashing me for that, okay so I�ll go

"MacOS X is great!!!" - dammit why are they bashing me again?? I�ll take it to

"Classic is just g r e a t!!!!!" - ...

what�s next Hash? "Classic is utter crap!"?

There is no absolute thruth to any of those generalized statements you make, why do you go all or nothing all the time? The world�s not just black and white you know.

cu

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2001, 02:30 PM

No, YOU just dont get it. OS X sucks in this way-and you are truly stupid if you dont get it

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2001, 02:33 PM

Hash,
I don't know who gonna agree with you.
BTW, this topic seems dealt already (I don't remember where...).
Why do you start it again?

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2001, 02:41 PM

sungwoo,

because OS X in its current form as i see can not be cured by any updates, and i am afraid, puma gonna be major disappointment..adobe withdrawal is a very bad, bad sign,,OS without applications is like hamburger without meat-carcass is there, no content..

Improved and modernized classic on the other hand would not require software makers to rewrite fully their stuff , contributing to wealth of software...

Its only my guess, but recently all my predictions about OS X turned to be true, to my astonishment..i now believe my intuition

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2001, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Hash:
<STRONG>sungwoo,

because OS X in its current form as i see can not be cured by any updates, and i am afraid, puma gonna be major disappointment..adobe withdrawal is a very bad, bad sign,,OS without applications is like hamburger without meat-carcass is there, no content..

Improved and modernized classic on the other hand would not require software makers to rewrite fully their stuff , contributing to wealth of software...

Its only my guess, but recently all my predictions about OS X turned to be true, to my astonishment..i now believe my intuition</STRONG>
Classic environment is not a real OS. It is the only temporary alternative to transfer to OS X.
OS X is only three months old baby. So why don't you give some time to grow up?
At the moment, OS X is most fastest evolving OS in the world though it is too young to be a great satisfaction. We may again disappointed about puma or may not, but it grows fast.
It won't takes a long time as Linux or BSD.
We may or may not lose adobe, but we already got the stable and shiny road to thousands of free and commercial *nix applications whic has fabulous functions.
I can see alot of bright side with few dark side.
I am sure that you will love OS X 10.7 or 11, so give it time.
You won't regret, I bet.

plaidpjs
Senior User
Jun 23, 2001, 03:05 PM

<STRONG>sungwoo,

Its only my guess, but recently all my predictions about OS X turned to be true, to my astonishment..i now believe my intuition</STRONG>
Hash,

First, there are apps for OS X... a LOT of them. Adobe deciding to avoid MWNY says nothing for the health of the OS or Apple as a company.

Second, what makes you think that if Apple endeavored to rewrite Classic, which has been thoroughly established as a DEAD END OS, that it still wouldn't require 3rd party developers rewriting their applications?

Third, what predictions about OS X and Apple have you made that have come true? What predictions have you made at all? The only things I ever see you write are whines.

Seriously, and I say this not to be mean or uncaring, but at this point, I would really advise you to go buy a PC and get a few cross-platform upgrades for your software... I think you'll be much happier. And, if not much happier, at least you'll have an amazingly large audience to complain to that has never heard you rant/whine before.

Ciao!
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2001, 03:06 PM

I really hate to add to this topic, but...

<STRONG>because OS X in its current form as i see can not be cured by any updates, and i am afraid, puma gonna be major disappointment..
</STRONG>
As was mentioned about a thousand times in your last thread all the updates up to now have been bug fixes- Puma will be a revision and not a disappointment.

<STRONG>
OS without applications is like hamburger without meat-carcass is there, no content..
</STRONG>
Ok aside from this sentence not making any sense it's just plain wrong. The amount of software that's gonna be premired at MWNY is gonna blow your sox off.

<STRONG>

Ok so your idea is to take all the features of OSX and put them in 9? Right- ever heard of Copland? You can't put preemptive multitasking and protected memory in OS9. You just can't.

And you haven't been correct about anything. You managed to guess that 10.0.4 wouldn't have any new features, which is in fact wrong. Plus every single person in your last thread pointed out it was a bug release.

You lose. Again.

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2001, 03:14 PM

Hey Foobar, I like your sig graphic.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

foobars
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2001, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Vader's Robotic Stump:
<STRONG>Hey Foobar, I like your sig graphic.</STRONG>
Thanks!

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2001, 03:44 PM

Foobars, again you are totally wrong..its no wonder because all you can do is to talk banal things, all wrong, repeated thousand times and as fresh as week old ham in your broken freezer. You are really specific one, since in all your 600 posting you managed to conceal any sign of brain activity..rare achievement, only showing how hopeless you are.

Quote: "The amount of software that's gonna be premired at MWNY is gonna blow your sox off."

Huh, maybe a 50+ docklings for dock? Is that you mean? How about DTP apps, Office, word processing? I can not hear, foobars? What you mumbling? September? Next year?

Quote: "Ok so your idea is to take all the features of OSX and put them in 9? Right- ever heard of Copland? You can't put preemptive multitasking and protected memory in OS9. You just can't. "

Well, unlike you, i talk about real things. Classic is just emulated on OSX but it does it great. In fact, it is so good that it makes me think about how it could be if Classic was the MAIN part of OS X. It would be different from Copland, because it got the UNIX basis, basically OS X without aqua, just Classic, but improved and modernized. Technically it s fully possible.

Quote:" I really hate to add to this topic, but.." Man, you are just plain boring and you sound like a real a**, talk real crap and think like you got no brain. Your additions never contain any fresh idea. I am afraid your "forced" lectures here are not interesting to anyone. If you have nothing to say, just shut up, humanity will thank you for not spoiling air.

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2001, 04:08 PM

Classic doesn't have any of the advantages of OS X's architecture. None. Zilch. If you're going to use Classic only, you might as well boot into OS 9, and you're right back where we began four years ago. That's why you don't get it.

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2001, 04:20 PM

Hash,
I suggest to use MachTen.
You can get a full advantage of 9.1 + unix power with MachTen.
You don't have to bother about OS X.
It seems OS X is not for you.

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: sungwoo ]

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2001, 04:28 PM

Hash, chill it! People are starting to get tired of this, and insulting people is *definitely* not going to make more people take an interest to your point of view. You KNOW that the one thing that Apple is NOT going to do is make Classic the main part of X. No way. No matter how much you or others who have the same view point want it, it is NOT going to happen. there is nothing stopping you from using Classic as much as you like, but insulting others because they don't agree is not much help.
weird wabbit

foobars
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2001, 04:35 PM

<STRONG>Foobars, again you are totally wrong..its no wonder because all you can do is to talk banal things, all wrong, repeated thousand times and as fresh as week old ham in your broken freezer. You are really specific one, since in all your 600 posting you managed to conceal any sign of brain activity..rare achievement, only showing how hopeless you are.</STRONG>
Ever heard of proofreading?

<STRONG>
Quote: "The amount of software that's gonna be premired at MWNY is gonna blow your sox off."

Huh, maybe a 50+ docklings for dock? Is that you mean? How about DTP apps, Office, word processing? I can not hear, foobars? What you mumbling? September? Next year? </STRONG>
Literally hundreds of apps are going to debut at MWNY. Some DTP, demo of Office.

<STRONG>
Quote: "Ok so your idea is to take all the features of OSX and put them in 9? Right- ever heard of Copland? You can't put preemptive multitasking and protected memory in OS9. You just can't. "

Well, unlike you, i talk about real things. Classic is just emulated on OSX but it does it great. In fact, it is so good that it makes me think about how it could be if Classic was the MAIN part of OS X. It would be different from Copland, because it got the UNIX basis, basically OS X without aqua, just Classic, but improved and modernized. Technically it s fully possible. </STRONG>
Like I said before this doesn't make any sense. You want to take classic and replace and make it the main part of OSX? What does that even mean? Classic is unstable and doesn't have protected memory between apps inside Classic. And you can't make OS9 apps run on a UNIX base- it's technically impoissible.

And FYI Classic isn't emulated. It runs in parallel with X.

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2001, 04:41 PM

theolein, sungwoo,

sorry if i caused inconvience by my words..i just wanted to hear positive, critical discussion of what if..when some silly troll foobars f**cked in and began to stink .

Thank you for ideas. Really, although Classic is sort of underevaluated, its amazing. Imagine only if it could have full hardware support, OpenGL, etc, wow..OS9 with full UNIX underpinnings and all networking niceties, wow. Man, i would forget about OS 9 then and move to it,,Imagine working on 15 applications in OS 9 and no crushes, plus dock, grab, etc..It could have aqua appearance also..And the speed, speed speed

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2001, 04:45 PM

Foobars,

quote:" Literally hundreds of apps are going to debut at MWNY. Some DTP, demo of Office.":

You will have to eat your words in July

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2001, 04:47 PM

Classic does not have UNIX underpinnings.

Really. Honest. It does not use Darwin.

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2001, 04:56 PM

Hash, sorry to ruin your party.. but Classic is a bit like Win16 and DOS on Windows 9X. It just.. well.. suck

Yes,, it's quick, but it's a pain in the a** to load, and it's non-evolutive. I've heard someone say "Windows 2000 is Win95 feature set finally here", well Classic as main part would be about the same thing, and it would stop.. exactly.. heu... HERE.

I mean, yes, you have all you apps running, it's snappy, but it stops there. No more new feature, no protected memory, no preemptive multi-tasking, no... you get the idea.

To have a product like you're asking to work, you will need to have binders to go around the API calls to redirect them to.. let say.. Carbon. Let me explain.

If you don't want to boot 2 OS, you need to have something smaller.

Bye bye Classic boot time, hello binders.

What do they do? They redirect the API calls to the more specific API closer to the OS. Somewhat like an other layer on the OS.

It is possible, the Open Source use it to make an App run in command-line, on *BSD, Linux, Darwin, and with X-Windows.

The thing is.. it's also called Copland, which didn't work, didn't get where it was supposed to, and has been long forgotten until recently.

Yes, the idea is nice, but it's not the way to go.

BTW, Classic is a binder with the old OS booting in it for compatibility reasons.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2001, 05:15 PM

Hash is at it again, there is no pleasing this guy....
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

<jimmac>
Jun 23, 2001, 06:18 PM

Hash,
Your previous statements have proven how little you know about what your talking about. So, I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with everyone and say.........YAWN!

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2001, 06:33 PM

Hash, why did you tease us before when you said you were switching to Windows and leaving the Mac platform and this forum because you thought OS X sucked so bad? There is still time to make good on your threat!
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

plaidpjs
Senior User
Jun 23, 2001, 07:10 PM

<STRONG>theolein, sungwoo,

sorry if i caused inconvience by my words..i just wanted to hear positive, critical discussion of what if..when some silly troll foobars f**cked in and began to stink .

Thank you for ideas. Really, although Classic is sort of underevaluated, its amazing. Imagine only if it could have full hardware support, OpenGL, etc, wow..OS9 with full UNIX underpinnings and all networking niceties, wow. Man, i would forget about OS 9 then and move to it,,Imagine working on 15 applications in OS 9 and no crushes, plus dock, grab, etc..It could have aqua appearance also..And the speed, speed speed</STRONG>
hehe... hey HASH, in point of fact, I chimed in before foobars. So, if anyone those insults should be directed to me =). To wit, I can only say this: "It is the immature mind that resorts to the use of profanity and directed vulgarity to try and win an argument... especially while a mature mind would have simply taken your candy ass out behind the barn and KICKED it!"

Please, hash, just go use a PC and give everyone a break!

Ciao![/LIST]
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

[email protected]
Senior User
Jun 23, 2001, 07:12 PM

keep smokin', hash.

The Dude
Banned
Jun 23, 2001, 08:11 PM

I know I don't hang around this forum too much, but it seems that Hash is just someone that wants to stand out among the rest, and is ready to pick a fight over something stupid.

And Hash, please, learn the language.

Justin Belisle
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2001, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by The Dude:
I know I don't hang around this forum too much, but it seems that Hash is just someone that wants to stand out among the rest, and is ready to pick a fight over something stupid.

And Hash, please, learn the language.
you're right. plus OS X doesn't seem to be for you Hash.
Justin Belisle
[email protected]

<jimmac>
Jun 23, 2001, 09:56 PM

Maybe. His name should be ReHash?

Gee-Man
Senior User
Jun 23, 2001, 11:18 PM

<STRONG>Thank you for ideas. Really, although Classic is sort of underevaluated, its amazing. Imagine only if it could have full hardware support, OpenGL, etc, wow..OS9 with full UNIX underpinnings and all networking niceties, wow. Man, i would forget about OS 9 then and move to it,,Imagine working on 15 applications in OS 9 and no crushes, plus dock, grab, etc..It could have aqua appearance also..And the speed, speed speed</STRONG>
Two words: not possible. How do you think programming works? Do you think that Apple programmers were building the Classic environment, just coding away, and didn't realize what they were actually creating? "WOW, we could put the 'Unix underpinnings' in HERE! We are so stupid, we spent all this time working on OS X when Classic was sitting right under our noses!"

It's pretty clear that you don't understand why it doesn't work this way, since others have tried really hard to explain exactly what Unix, Classic, and OS X actually are, but you seem to ignore their comments as simply "OS X apologists", even when it's quite clear they know what they're talking about. So file this one under yet another message to ignore. Sorry about that.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2001, 11:54 PM

<STRONG>Foobars,

quote:" Literally hundreds of apps are going to debut at MWNY. Some DTP, demo of Office.":

You will have to eat your words in July</STRONG>
Hash, is there something personal going on here? Why are you concerned about how many apps are or are not going to be debuted soon? What do you care? I have been reading your posts lately and it seems that you are taking this OS X thing way too personally.... Lighten up, Francis...

dbenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2001, 01:13 AM

You know this is getting down right silly. OS X does not "suck" nor is it the worlds greatest operating system. OS 9 is not God's gift to operating systems either. For all of you who are complaining about &lt;insert application here&gt; not being available to OS X. Complain to the manufacturer and then go back to OS 9 and let the developers have some time to work on tings. Yes, OS X is a work in progress...as is evident by all the updates. Let those of us who can live with this do so and then come back when the OS is truely ready for prime time.

Above all can we just stop complaining for the sake of complaining? I mean I think Apple knows what is wrong by now...if you find something new then complain about it. Don't complain about seeing the spinning beach ball too much. I know...I see it too...not as much as in 10.0 but still too much.

If you think Apple is not doing anything to address our concerns...then go hang out on the Darwin mailing lists for a while and look at some of the bug reports and comments. It doesn't offer full disclosure of what is going on...but there are clues...all hope is not lost, especially when the alternative is to run Windows or keep extending OS 9.x

&lt;/rant&gt;

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2001, 01:49 AM

Ok, guys, although none of us gave the precise technical arguments, Classic with UNIX underpinnings seems to be not possible...unfortunately..I just thought it was a very cool thing if it was possible.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jun 24, 2001, 02:07 AM

Enough is enough. Hash, I explained to you in your last thread that you simply cannot take Classic and "remove" Aqua and replace it; the operating system structure simply does not work that way. It is literally impossible. And you should know this, because we've been over this time and time again.

Please refrain from rehashing threads that you've already created. It's always the same question you have, and it's always the same answers you're given, and people are getting tired. I don't appreciate you personally insulting other members, either.

Think about the topic a little more before you post another new topic.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules