Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > expose shortcuts with mx500?

expose shortcuts with mx500?
toans
Nov 3, 2003, 05:08 AM

Does anyone know how to use the forward and back buttons on the Logitech mx500 as expose shortcuts?

When I select mousebutton '' from the expose menu, it doesn't work....

calumr
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 06:21 AM

Do you have the back & forward buttons remapped to something else in the Logitech Control Center?

toans  (op)
Nov 3, 2003, 06:37 AM

Well no...I try remap then to F10 etc which it won't let me..so i just leave them blank...i tried having it just set to right shift, then set expose as right shift..but still won't work..

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 06:49 AM

Hi,

My MX700 works fine with �xpos� but I do not have the Logitech software installed.

You can use USB Overdrive, which is excellent, by mapping the buttons to F9 etc, but to do this you have to go to �xpos� and first change the short cut keys to something else, now you can map the F9 etc to the mouses buttons. Finally got back to the �xpos� control panel and change the functions back to F9 etc.

Hope that helps.

lenox
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 11:36 AM

The easiest way is to just remove the logitech control center thingie.

I have a four button logitech mouse, and it's very easy to map those extra buttons to functions in expos�.

Good luck!

Longshanks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 01:44 PM

After fiddling around a bit in USB Overdrive, I found that I could map the F keys by holding down the option key while entering the F key in the "keystroke" field. I use the button in front of the wheel for F9 and the one on top of the mouse for F11.

I don't know whether this works with the Logitech driver or not.

Hydra
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 02:57 PM

My personal favorite it to map F9 to the scroll wheel click. I never really used it for anything and it turns a useless button (to me at least) into an indispensable one.

-Jerry C.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 03:06 PM

I have my MX 300 button (4th button) set to hide all windows/show desktop and I do not have the Logitech driver installed. When I did, the smooth scrolling did not work. Smooth scrolling is so much better then the old notch style scroll line by line.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
I have my MX 300 button (4th button) set to hide all windows/show desktop and I do not have the Logitech driver installed. When I did, the smooth scrolling did not work. Smooth scrolling is so much better then the old notch style scroll line by line.
Same here. I got rid of the Logitech software and am quite happy without it.

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by toans:
Does anyone know how to use the forward and back buttons on the Logitech mx500 as expose shortcuts?

When I select mousebutton '' from the expose menu, it doesn't work....
Uninstall Logitech drivers and you're good. Or install USBOverdrive and do some tweaking back and forth between expos� control panel and USBO/D.

toans  (op)
Nov 3, 2003, 06:55 PM

Problem solved...just uninstalled drivers like some of you mentioned. Thanks everyone

P.S lol sound like a whinger...but now with my drivers uninstalled the scroll wheel increments are tiny

lenox
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by toans:
P.S lol sound like a whinger...but now with my drivers uninstalled the scroll wheel increments are tiny
You can adjust the scroll sensitivity speed in System Preferences.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Hydra:
My personal favorite it to map F9 to the scroll wheel click. I never really used it for anything and it turns a useless button (to me at least) into an indispensable one.

-Jerry C.
i use my center wheel as cmd-[ in safari. this is "back" youll be amazed how much faster this makes you. in the finder the center wheel is cmd-w (i open a lot of windows what can i say)

just something. since were talking usboverdrive and all.

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2003, 06:08 PM

I just uninstalled LCC and now have my MX700 controlling Expos� just fine. But now, is there any way to use the forward and back buttons on the mouse (for Safari) without using USB Overdrive?

rhull89040
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 06:22 PM

I use my MX500 with Expose and still have the LCC installed. You can change the button in LCC to click an dthen assign it a mouse button number. You can then pick the same mouse button number for the function you want in the Expose pref. I think this is how I did it, but I'm on my PC at work and can't check for sure. I have mine set up to use the mouse button to show all windows. I use the lower left hotcorner for show desktop. This setup works great for me.

Sage
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 06:33 PM

I have an MX 500, and have the LCC and Expos� running just fine. Try mapping it to Shift+Command+9/10/11 (hold down the shift button when you see the pop-up menu in the Expos� prefpane), then in the LCC map your button to that. Works for me.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 10:00 PM

I have an MX-700 and I do have the Logitech drivers installed.

I've assigned the button I want to use on the mouse for expos� (the "application switch" button) to give a normal click with button #8. Then in the Expos� pref pane, I've the "Mouse" section to All Windows: Button 8.

Works just brilliantly.

fiddler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by rhull89040:
I use my MX500 with Expose and still have the LCC installed. You can change the button in LCC to click an dthen assign it a mouse button number. You can then pick the same mouse button number for the function you want in the Expose pref. I think this is how I did it, but I'm on my PC at work and can't check for sure. I have mine set up to use the mouse button to show all windows. I use the lower left hotcorner for show desktop. This setup works great for me.
Or, if you want to use the default F-keys, you have to temporarily change the Expose settings in the Expose pref pane... say set them to F2-F4, for instance. Go to LCC, configure your mouse buttons to be F9-F11, then go back to the Expose pref pane to restore the F-keys to the default setting.

Why? Because everytime you try to tell LCC to use F9 for "All Windows", it activates Expose and steals the keystroke away from LCC! It would be very nice to able to choose your key in LCC from a drop down menu instead of actually typing the key...

fiddler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I have an MX-700 and I do have the Logitech drivers installed.

I've assigned the button I want to use on the mouse for expos� (the "application switch" button) to give a normal click with button #8. Then in the Expos� pref pane, I've the "Mouse" section to All Windows: Button 8.

Works just brilliantly.
Heh, never thought of this one. This way seems more elegant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules