Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Iphoto Cd Read by Windows XP?

Iphoto Cd Read by Windows XP?
jdhindes
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2003, 11:03 PM

Ok, my mac says that CD's are burned in hybrid format so Win machines can read them, or at least that the message I got. I burned pics from albums in Iphoto to a CD and they are NOT viewable on my Win XP machine. What am I doing wrong? Every win program I tried (Picture It, MS Photo Editor & Paint) couldn't view the jpg files that were created on the mac by Iphoto. I need some help. . . I am a switcher but I still have to share photos with my family (they and I still have Win machines). By the way, I love my mac!!! This forum has helped me already!

Jim

12" Powerbook, 60gig drive, 640 mb ram
Mac owner for about 3 weeks!

Preciousss
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 05:21 PM

I'm bumping this back up because I ran into the same problem, but with a Win 98 machine.

I've searched Mac Help and the KB but haven't found much. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Originally posted by jdhindes:
Ok, my mac says that CD's are burned in hybrid format so Win machines can read them, or at least that the message I got. I burned pics from albums in Iphoto to a CD and they are NOT viewable on my Win XP machine. What am I doing wrong? Every win program I tried (Picture It, MS Photo Editor & Paint) couldn't view the jpg files that were created on the mac by Iphoto. I need some help. . . I am a switcher but I still have to share photos with my family (they and I still have Win machines). By the way, I love my mac!!! This forum has helped me already!

Jim

12" Powerbook, 60gig drive, 640 mb ram
Mac owner for about 3 weeks!

toans
Dec 2, 2003, 07:02 PM

Also going to bump this cause I've had the same problem when burning data dvds in OS X, then having them be unreadable on my two XP boxes..

davecom
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 09:56 PM

bump because I think it's damn important

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2003, 10:33 PM

So, I'm not nuts! I've burned CDs from iPhoto, gone to Target, and the machine won't read the CD.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 08:30 AM

The only way I was able to do this was to:

1) Export the pictures to a selected folder
2) Use the finder to burn the pictures in the folder.

When iPhoto burns a photo CD, it does so using the cryptic file structure. Works great for iPhoto but useless in any other program.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2004, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by Toyin:
The only way I was able to do this was to:

1) Export the pictures to a selected folder
2) Use the finder to burn the pictures in the folder.

When iPhoto burns a photo CD, it does so using the cryptic file structure. Works great for iPhoto but useless in any other program.
What's cryptic about year/month/day/filename ???

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
What's cryptic about year/month/day/filename ???
1st of all, I don't have any problems with iPhoto. When I need to use a file, I usually export it and play with the export. However in rare occasions I do want the original. There are several ways that the iPhoto library becomes cryptic:

1. You don't set your camera time when taking pictures. So I have several directories that are in years like 2018.

2. If I do set the camera date, how am I going to remember the exact date a specific picture was taken? If anything it should store the pictures by import date not camera date (or give us the option). It's confusing when you look in iPhoto (based on import date) and then you go looking for the photo and it's in a different time folder.

3. iPhoto library is a pain in the butt when viewed on a Windows machine. Not cryptic, but the thumbnails create duplicates of every picture.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

tomfrog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 11:45 AM

Here's what worked for me on winNT workstation 4 (details may be not quite right because I don't have it in front of me)
- burned the whole iPhoto library with 3 or 4 albums
- opened the CD on my windows machine
- saw folders with album names, and folders with date names
- navigated into the album name
- saw jpg files

Trying to open them by dragging them onto a Netscape browser window DID NOT WORK - it told me the file was damaged

- went back to the top, navigated down the folder with the date names
- saw jpg file
could open the same file in Netscape

In other words, don't try to navigate by album name, you need to know the actual file name of the photo and navigate by date.

Hope this helps...

Forum Links
Forum Rules