Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Program to convert mpeg to avi or mov?

Program to convert mpeg to avi or mov?
toans
Feb 3, 2004, 04:48 AM

Hey everyone,

I have a few home videos and such that I imported to my PC using a tv in connection, recorded as mpeg files.

My problem is, iDvd can't handle mpeg files, Quicktime Pro can't (so therefore I can't export it as an avi or mov) and neither can iMovie.

Does anyone know of a program to convert mpeg to avi or mov? for either PC or Mac.

I've done some googling but can't seem to find programs that convert from mpeg, only to mpeg.

Thanks

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 09:27 AM

um...Quicktime can most definitely handle MPEG files. if you are trying to play an MPEG and it wont play in QT you are probably missing a codec for the playback. the most common are DIVX and 3IVX and those can be downloaded for free.
MPEG2 you have to buy a decoder from Apple.
there are other tools out there as well, but Quicktime can probably do what you are wanting.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 10:05 AM

Quicktime can read MPEG files, so if QT doesn't open them they're probably not MPEG (they might be MPEG-2). In any case Quicktime doesn't export the audio from any MPEG-1 or 2 file, so you'll need to use something like bbDemux to extract the audio and then use another app. to decode the audio to AIFF (if it actually is MPEG).
I don't know if iDvd accepts MP4 files, but you might want to look at OpenShiiva and/or Diva.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2004, 04:59 PM

if it is MPEG-2 and you don't have the QT MPEG-2 decoder, there are plenty of free apps to convert to mov. Here's a few off the top of my head, in rough order of quality/speed/modernity (likelihood of working):
DiVA
ffmpeg
MacMPEG2Decoder
MacMPEG2Converter
MPEG2DecX
MediaPipe

the audio in MPEG files is all the same, mp2 (also called m1a). You demux with bbDemux to get it, then convert it with iTunes or if that doesn't work, madplaywrap to aiff.

if you are trying to play an MPEG and it wont play in QT you are probably missing a codec
this is true of avi (and mov) files, but MPEG files don't really have codecs; it's either MPEG1 or MPEG2

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2004, 10:24 PM

I think he may be talking about exporting files.

QuickTime Pro can certainly handle multiplexed MPEGs (which these probably are), but for some reason it has always had problems exporting the audio from them. I don't claim to know why this is.

What you need to do is demultiplex the file into its video and audio streams. Once you do that, QuickTime can handle both of them easily. Unfortunately, the only program I know of which can do this is called bbDEMUX, and it may not work right on Panther. It may be worth a try, though.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 10:54 PM

ive seen plenty of mpegs made on pcs that have strange codecs. they arnt all the same.
there is another program called "missing mpeg tools" or something like that. its pretty good as well at doing alot of things with mpegs.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 11:44 PM

Listen to Uncle Skeleton and Millenium. Give bbDEMUX a shot.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2004, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by dwishbone:
ive seen plenty of mpegs made on pcs that have strange codecs. they arnt all the same.
there is another program called "missing mpeg tools" or something like that. its pretty good as well at doing alot of things with mpegs.
then they weren't mpeg files. they were probably asf or avi and the person who made them just called them "mpg" because they thought mpg was just another word for movie.

Originally posted by Millenium:

What you need to do is demultiplex the file into its video and audio streams. Once you do that, QuickTime can handle both of them easily.
no, QuickTime doesn't handle demultiplexed mpeg audio any better than multiplexed mpeg audio. You still need to decode with another app first. Also, bbDemux doesn't seem to have any problems on 10.3 for me. Have you heard anything to indicate that it does?

toans  (op)
Feb 4, 2004, 01:52 AM

Ok so it must be an mpeg 2 file then. When QT tries to open it i get the message 'Unsopported format'.

I am able to view the file fine using mplayer for os x.

I have managed the get the audio out of the movie file, using ffmepg. So I'll try to programs everyone has listed to convert the video.

Thanks for your help

toans  (op)
Feb 4, 2004, 03:32 AM

Ok so I have the separate movie and sound files.

How do I now merge them into the one file? So I can then drag that one movie file to iDvd...

I have tried it using Quicktime Pro, but the audio is out of sync with the video...and it's not the actual audio track out of sync, because it starts in sync with the video..then suddenly about 9 minutes in it's completely out of sync.

Where as in the original mpg, the audio and video are synced properly..
( Last edited by toans; Feb 4, 2004 at 06:55 AM. )

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2004, 10:02 AM

:
then they weren't mpeg files. they were probably asf or avi and the person who made them just called them "mpg" because they thought mpg was just another word for movie.
yeah, thats possible. in my experience many pc users just either dont know any better or just simply dont care. i really hate it when they use proprietary codecs (especially the MS audio) to make their movies. that burns me up. if they would just use a normal standard (which most are better) then not just loser PC boys and girls could use them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules