Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Paperport Vx with an iMac Rev. B??

Paperport Vx with an iMac Rev. B??
JohnP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2000, 03:45 PM

I have a Paperport Vx, originally used on an LCIII using Syst. 7.6; it was very convenient for faxing and I'd like to continue with its use.

I'm now using a Rev. B iMac, running Syst. 8.6, and have a Keyspan USB-Serial adapter which, I've read, supports some Paperport products. The Vx came with SCSI adapter and appropriate software; I'd like to get a serial cable and software and link to the iMac through the Keyspan adapter. Can I do this?

Jim Mulqueeny
Mar 10, 2000, 11:22 AM

I understand your setup.
I have a PaperPort vX that works great on my Centris 650 with System 8.1, but I did not have the option of getting the SCSI adapter at the time. So the cable I have is a special serial cable to account for the PaperPort's feature of powering on when you put paper in it.
Last summer I got a blue/white G3 with System 8.6 so my situation is very similar. The Keyspan adapter I bought is the USB Twin Serial adapter. It is slightly different from the single adapter in that there are two serial ports. I can get the PaperPort to work on port 2; more finicky devices, like some serial printers, must use port 1.
I will say that merely getting the right cable may not solve your problem. I recently went to scan a page; nothing happened. The scanner still works on the old machine (Centris) but I need to see if I need to reload software or turn off some extensions to get the PaperPort to work on a G3 with 8.6.
I do not recommend upgrading to OS 9. Hope this helps. -Jim

JohnP  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2000, 11:53 AM

Jim, thanks for your reply; let me amplify a bit on my original posting.

1. I do indeed have the 2-port Keyspan Serial Adapter, and was hoping to use Port 2.

2. I talked to Visioneer sometime back; they indicated that I'd have to use Paperport Deluxe software, as the original Vx serial software was no longer available.

3. I heard somewhere, however, that the Vx would not work with System 8.6.If so, this will abort any further investigation.

So, in particular, have you been able to get your Vx working with 8.6 installed and running?

It would be nice to find one of those 9-pin to 8-pin serial cables somewhere; I believe I could get one from Visioneer but it is slightly pricy - the PP Deluxe software, on the other hand, keeps showing up in various places anywhere from about $20 to free, depending on the discount coupons/specials going on at the time.

Let me know, if your Vx is working with 8.6; that will go a long way in determining what else I should do. Thanks again!

george3
Mar 10, 2000, 12:57 PM

The Paperport Vx software does not work with OS9, and Visioneer has been unable to help. My wife was upset with me because I persuaded her to upgrade to OS 9 and she used the paperport a lot. The new Stobe is supposed to work jusy fine and have color, too, but a $200 'upgrade' is a bit steep.

Jim Mulqueeny
Mar 10, 2000, 04:17 PM

I definitely _did_ have PaperPort Vx working on the G3 with System 8.6. I also had an Apple Color StyleWriter 2500 on the other adapter port (the one that must be Port 1), and an Imation SuperDisk external floppy on the other USB port. (My internet connection used the G3's internal modem slot.)
Then, as will happen, something changed. Most likely my upgrade of QuickTime from 3 to 4 (4.1 now) added some extensions I must investigate. I also had a round of conflict/upgrade/test with the G3's ADB port, on which I added a Kensington TurboMouse (not possible on the iMac). It's a good trackball but until I updated the software I was missing the "Don't Save" button when I used Office 98. I have also had to install updaters on Office 98.
All is working except the PaperPort. At first it did work when I put paper in it. Now it does not even respond when I push the button on the side. I can still open the PaperPort control panel and look at images that are already there. Maybe this weekend I can get it working. Good luck on the cable though; you may need a SCSI to USB adapter for the cable you have. Lots of adapters in the chain but it should work. 8.6 forever, Jim

JohnP  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2000, 08:05 PM

Jim, great news about the Syst. 8.6 compatibility. I'm willing to believe that the Vx is dead for Syst. 9 (George3, tnx for your input), but it is good news that I'm not DIW (Dead In Water) with 8.6. Based on your input, I will go ahead and begin assembling the required stuff (serial cable, Paperport Deluxe, etc.) The dollar outlay should not be prohibititive vs the value of the Vx. It should be fun to see what results. I'll post what my luck is.

First, however, comes taxes with MacInTax. Ugh!

If anyone else has wisdom on this topic to impart, I'll be pleased to read it. Thanks to all who have responded.

JohnP

Forum Links
Forum Rules