Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > How do you open up a Stylewriter 1500?

How do you open up a Stylewriter 1500?
JohnP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2000, 12:00 AM

Is there a site around that gives information on this? I picked up a cheap one; when I try to print there's a lot of jumping of the horizontl drive belt with the cartridge at the left side and I get a message that the cartridge is jammed. Perhaps opening it will enlighten me. I do have the correct drivers and have a BW cartridge in place; it seems to be setting correctly.

Any advice/help will be most appreciated!

Moe
Sep 30, 2000, 11:50 PM

You don't have to take it apart. You have a carriage stall condition. This is usually caused by a dry carriage rail. Lube it with silicon spray. It also sounds like the roller engage arm popped up out of position. If you look over to the left you'll see a black plastic arm. The carriage hits it and engages the gear mechanism to drive the first sheet up. The front end of the arm pops out of place occasionally. Simply lift it gently and slide it to the right.

JohnP  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2000, 09:57 PM

Moe, thanks for your reply and suggestion. As a result, I looked more closely into the front of the 1500 and discovered the means of opening it.

Unfortunately, it turned out that it was not a carriage stall situation; the situation is more fundamental and concerns some serious mischief with the circuit board components.

Perhaps I should have pointed out that this beast cost only $6.00 in a thrift store - perhaps they knew that the thing was a bummer useful only for some parts. I'll keep the corpse around for awhile; perhaps one with a busted case will show up.

I'd like to pose this question to all:

Would a Stylewriter 1200 print in color if I inserted the appropriate color cartridge and used Stylewriter 1500 drivers (which I am presently using successfully with the 1200)? Other than case outline, there appears to be no external differences in the mechanical layout of the two printers. Perhaps there is as far as the on-board chips are concerned.

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2000, 01:15 AM

I have been wondering the same too, the cartridge contacts seem identical. I don't know that I'm willing to spend the $20 on a color cartridge to try it though...

Forum Links
Forum Rules