Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > somethingawful discovers something awful

somethingawful discovers something awful
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2005, 03:58 PM

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=1711278

"Target Practice posted: Okay. Deep breaths guys. Did we make fun of an autistic kid, tell him where he can find buckshot, then laughed about it? ......................... Oh, s%$#. Yeah, we did. EDIT: And then he killed people. And himself. I don't think I'm sleeping tonight."
This should be interesting to see how this plays out and if there will be any repercussions. I think sometimes we forget that we have no idea how unstable the person on the other end of the internet can be. Something to think about.

*Thread title and quote swiped from digg.com
Nemo me impune lacesset

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 04:07 PM

That is some crazy stuff. We should turn the internet off if this is going to keep happening.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 04:07 PM

the dp bug has gotten to me

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 04:17 PM

It would still happen, but you wouldn't hear about it as fast or indepth.
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 04:34 PM

I searched on Digg, and didn't get anything about this. SA's blocked at work.

Instead, I've registered it on my blog, submitted it to all my friends' blogs, Digged it, re-blogged it, created a new podcast, and then blogged it on another blog site to ensure I get lots of trackbacks and comments throughout the blogosphere.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2005, 04:39 PM

I wonder if PowerBookDude has ended his life yet due to these forums...

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 04:56 PM

Thas effed up.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
I wonder if PowerBookDude has ended his life yet due to these forums...
heh.

remember that ****?

what a bizzare dude. He would also try chattin' me up on AIM.
ice

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2005, 05:07 PM

Heh, I'm no ladies man but that kid ain't neva gettin' laid.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 05:30 PM

CHanks to the Lounge. Come in, Hanks. Did you psot in legendary thread? Enquiring minds want to know.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 06:11 PM

Reminds me on Wargames. Must be quite a shock to learn that your fingertips affect reality…

Atomic Rooster
Nov 3, 2005, 06:27 PM

This should be a warning to anyone teasing Kevin.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster

I haven't been around these forums long enough to know of your history with Kevin, but apparently you and Kevin were a couple, and you later broke up...

That's cool, I have no problems with gay relationships, and please excuse me if I'm putting the pieces together wrong, but maybe you two could sort of your differences and analyze the downfall of your relationship over private message?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 3, 2005, 07:31 PM

Yeah, big thread on this at AnandTech, because he used to be a member there too. I saw a few of his posts there many moons ago.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 07:39 PM

i think this is to serious to joke about, there are sad ppl out there. I really feel for him and his victums.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 07:44 PM

what also worries me is copy cats since this is making the guy famous on the net. I wouldn't be shocked if a couple more happened.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2005, 07:58 PM

Don't wanna get all serious, but it's a reminder that what's said in forums echoes into the real world.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Don't wanna get all serious, but it's a reminder that what's said in forums echoes into the real world.
or that the forums, and the internet, are part of the real world.

-r.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson
or that the forums, and the internet, are part of the real world.

-r.
Pol Lounge excluded.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 10:45 PM

Someone once randomly video chatted with me, from a random thread when the iSight came out, and I was presented with some guy wacking off.

The internet is messed up.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 11:11 PM

SA is full of morons who think that just because they're behind a keyboard their actions don't reverberate in the real world. I guess this has proved them wrong.

What I find most disturbing is the excuses and justifications some of the SA posters are coming up with.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 11:12 PM

Dp. Sorry.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
CHanks to the Lounge. Come in, Hanks. Did you psot in legendary thread? Enquiring minds want to know.
I can fill in for him once I GET MY DAMN ACCOUNT.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
I had to visit with the SS once.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster
Waah?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 12:22 AM

DiDoubly Posties.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
I had to visit with the SS once.
Eventually all dissenters will be rounded up.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 12:42 AM

He was threatening to kill AL Gore or something.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2005, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
He was threatening to kill AL Gore or something.
I'm glad he didn't. Where would we be without the Internet?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

deej5871
Senior User
Nov 4, 2005, 01:00 AM

Victim: (LA Times)

That is not a good quote.

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 4, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
SA is full of morons who think that just because they're behind a keyboard their actions don't reverberate in the real world. I guess this has proved them wrong.

What I find most disturbing is the excuses and justifications some of the SA posters are coming up with.
Yeah, I was just reading through that thread I linked. What a bunch of scumbags.

Yesterday I took the liberty of calling the OCSD to point this thread out to them, since some of them mentioned going back and deleting these posts. The CID chick I talked to said they could delete all they liked, they had already gone through his postings on SA and a couple of other websites and they'd all been documented.

These guys trying to justify it is pure ********.
Nemo me impune lacesset

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 01:35 PM

Could you repeat that?

/couldn't resist
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 01:39 PM

What exactly did they do wrong? He asked a question. They answered. There's nothing illegal or wrong about telling osmeone where to get buckshot....

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 4, 2005, 01:47 PM

There is when they are implying that they are going to use it in the commission of a crime. At least a couple of people over there had the sense to realize what they did.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2005, 09:42 PM

They couldn't have known. They are no more responsible for this senseless waste than if some random guy had walked up to them on the street, asked them for directions to a gun store, and they'd answered. No more responsible at all.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
There is when they are implying that they are going to use it in the commission of a crime. At least a couple of people over there had the sense to realize what they did.
I totally agree.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
They couldn't have known. They are no more responsible for this senseless waste than if some random guy had walked up to them on the street, asked them for directions to a gun store, and they'd answered. No more responsible at all.

They couldn't have known? The guy freaking told them he was unhinged. What else would he have to do? Tattoo it on their foreheads?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2005, 08:46 AM

They couldn't have known? The guy freaking told them he was unhinged. What else would he have to do? Tattoo it on their foreheads?
What reason did they have to believe him? Aside from most sarcasm cues not carrying well over the Internet, most unhinged people don't just come out and say they're unhinged. So few, in fact, that this was the original catch-22 scenario: you couldn't get out of the army unless you were crazy, but if you said you were crazy then you clearly weren't.

The highly-sarcastic culture of Something Awful's forums, where people say they're unhinged on a daily basis without meaning it and everyone knows it, didn't exactly help either, and may very well have been why this guy chose that site to ask his questions. He was literally lost in the background noise. But sarcasm isn't a crime, nor is its opposite; you can't indict SA for that.

It's about free will, folks. Exactly one person is responsible for this murder: the perpetrator. He chose to do what he did, and even if he decieved a few innocent people into giving him some directions, that doesn't make it their fault in the slightest. They deservee no part whatsoever of the blame.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
They deservee no part whatsoever of the blame.
I could not disagree more with you. Thankfully a few of them seem to have understood their own part in this tragedy.

You are responsible for your actions. I can't tell you how much I dislike the attitude that says: "Oh, it was on the internet, don't take it too seriously". Or, "Oh it was on SA, everybody knows they don't mean what they say". The internet is just another means of communications, nothing more, nothing less.

Your actions have consequences. The second you learn that is the second you stop being thoughtless.

('You' being used in general terms here, not to attack you, Millenium)

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Someone once randomly video chatted with me, from a random thread when the iSight came out, and I was presented with some guy wacking off.

why dosent that happen to me was he hot?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ

why dosent that happen to me was he hot?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 09:35 AM

So, XXXXXXX IMd me last night.

Seems he's a very depressed young man who doesn't have a lot in his life. Smart kid, polite, nice, very depressed. REALLY depressed. I wanted to make sure he wasn't going to do anything stupid.

He's bummed because he's banned from this Lounge. He specifically told me about his life, looking for a job, looking for his way in life, and he's staying with his parents and spends most of his time trying to figure it all out and sleeping. MacNN was an outlet. Yeah, so some of us use it inappropriately and most of the time it's okay.

So, why is XXXXX banned?

Because we've got people like Captain Obvious who repeatedly knocks people around, denegrates them, calls people names, yet XXXXXX is banned and Captain O isn't? I don't get it? I can take being picked on, me, the 30-something old mother, who comes here to chat and see what great things most of you think (and some of you are pretty darn brilliant and nice and you know who you are), but sometimes picking on someone at the Lounge is not cool.

Hey, knock knock, mods?

XXXXXX is bumming out. I hope he's okay out there today - I'm seriously worried about him, both WDLove and me. There's something seriously sad brewing in that kid and you banned him?

Sometimes this place is an outlet, a place to rest a load and chat with people, and *some* people ridicule others, tell them to "shut that gaping hole you call a mouth," among other things, and nothing happens.

Pretty sad.

I'm editing because Athens recommended it. But, if the mods CARE and want to know who it is, IM Athens or Me or WDLove.

( Last edited by Cody Dawg; Nov 5, 2005 at 10:02 AM. )

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 09:35 AM

What's a "buckshot"? And could somebody please explain what's going on. That link in the first post doesn't work. Thx.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
So, XXXXXXX IMd me last night.

Seems he's a very depressed young man who doesn't have a lot in his life. Smart kid, polite, nice, very depressed. REALLY depressed. I wanted to make sure he wasn't going to do anything stupid.

He's bummed because he's banned from this Lounge. He specifically told me about his life, looking for a job, looking for his way in life, and he's staying with his parents and spends most of his time trying to figure it all out and sleeping. MacNN was an outlet. Yeah, so some of us use it inappropriately and most of the time it's okay.

So, why is XXXXX banned?

Because we've got people like Captain Obvious who repeatedly knocks people around, denegrates them, calls people names, yet XXXXXX is banned and Captain O isn't? I don't get it? I can take being picked on, me, the 30-something old mother, who comes here to chat and see what great things most of you think (and some of you are pretty darn brilliant and nice and you know who you are), but sometimes picking on someone at the Lounge is not cool.

Hey, knock knock, mods?

XXXXXX is bumming out. I hope he's okay out there today - I'm seriously worried about him, both WDLove and me. There's something seriously sad brewing in that kid and you banned him?

Sometimes this place is an outlet, a place to rest a load and chat with people, and *some* people ridicule others, tell them to "shut that gaping hole you call a mouth," among other things, and nothing happens.

Pretty sad.

I'm editing because Athens recommended it. But, if the mods CARE and want to know who it is, IM Athens or Me or WDLove.

And this is something that SHOULD NOT BE POSTED IN PUBLIC! We all didn't need to know hes all XXXXXX, and I am sure he didnt want us to know. Now you made a young guy with some problems a subject of topic, way to go I know you mean well but serious talking about some one in the open knowing what kind of people are on these boards are a bad idea. Now hoping he hasent seen this delete it and I'll delete this reference. And hope others who commented do the same.
( Last edited by Athens; Nov 5, 2005 at 10:11 AM. )

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 10:07 AM

I'm not sure you're correct, Athens, because it was some kind of a nice cry for sympathy from him.

But, I'll edit to be on the safe side.

He's really bummed out.

Don't attack the messenger. He got in touch with me for a reason. I'm saying something about the things that were discussed last night.

And, I'm putting it out on the table. When someone posts a thread like this it's meant to illuminate the fact that SOMETIMES being mean and nasty to someone isn't the right thing to do and WE ALL need to keep that in mind when we ridicule other people, call them names, etc.

If it happens to me (repeatedly by one person in particular who SEEKS my posts out ON PURPOSE to attack me) it happens to others, people like XXXXX and then if the people that are provoked attack in return it seems that they get banned - and not the person who originated the attack in the first place.

It's just plain wrong and it can have serious repercussions as the thread suggests.

And I thank ThinkInsane for the thread because we should ALL have better manners and respect around here.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 10:12 AM

I'm not sure you're correct, Athens, because it was some kind of a nice cry for sympathy from him.

But, I'll edit to be on the safe side.

He's really bummed out.

Don't attack the messenger. He got in touch with me for a reason. I'm saying something about the things that were discussed last night.

And, I'm putting it out on the table. When someone posts a thread like this it's meant to illuminate the fact that SOMETIMES being mean and nasty to someone isn't the right thing to do and WE ALL need to keep that in mind when we ridicule other people, call them names, etc.

If it happens to me (repeatedly by one person in particular who SEEKS my posts out ON PURPOSE to attack me) it happens to others, people like XXXXX and then if the people that are provoked attack in return it seems that they get banned - and not the person who originated the attack in the first place.

It's just plain wrong and it can have serious repercussions as the thread suggests.

And I thank ThinkInsane for the thread because we should ALL have better manners and respect around here.
Well talk to the mods, dont make XXXX into a topic of chat in public here, to many jerks.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 10:16 AM

Who are YOU to tell ME what to do?

Why don't you just shut up yourself, Athens?

Because that's what you're telling me to do. Well, I'm not going to just "shut up."

Speaking of which, why didn't YOU PM me about this? Because I'm here. You tell me to PM people yet you're out here making your own comments about how I don't PM?

Seems like the pot is telling the kettle what to do?

Most people here know that they could PM me about a problem and I'd try to help. Including you. I remember you PMing me when your aunt passed away and I was very sympathetic. I'm always sympathetic and stick up for a person I think was wronged. I don't know all of the particulars with XXXXX but I do know that there are *some* people who repeatedly attack people with hatred. It's like a hate crime, actually. I'm afraid of Captain Obvious. I'm saying that publicly because it's a well known fact that he follows my threads to post right afterwards and say terrible things. Others have said, "Be careful, Cody," in response to some of his posts. I'm saying it publicly because I think I should.

Have a nice day, Athens. I truly mean that. I will, so I hope you do too - and I hope you think about what I said.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 10:16 AM

I also did that to another member once too, things he told me in private I posted clips of so I know your only trying to help. In the end that person didnt want me to say anything he just wanted to vent on me and I made things much worst by posting it. Lesson learned. And hes not unstable either, now do the same to some one unstable who knows the effects good or bad it could have.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 11:33 AM

But, if the mods CARE and want to know who it is, IM Athens or Me or WDLove.
I would like to see a moderator...any moderator...look into it please. He's been banned for an inordinate amount of time compared to his offense.

EDIT: Thanks for the PM Cody.
( Last edited by BlueSky; Nov 5, 2005 at 12:25 PM. )

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
And this is something that SHOULD NOT BE POSTED IN PUBLIC!
I hate when people do this. You tell them something in private and at the most inopportune moment they just blab it out in public.

It's happened here before, and I wonder why they don't have any rules about this, instead of banning 4 letter words and other backwards, prudish crap.

Anywho, most of the people who post here seem to be completely off their rockers...that's why I like this place.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Forum Links
Forum Rules