Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > VERY slow printing on HP - solved

VERY slow printing on HP - solved
Spoffo
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2006, 03:44 AM

I just sorted out an odd problem with one of my printers (HP OfficeJet 4215xi) and thought I should post the results here in hopes of helping someone else.

THE PROBLEM: After months of working just fine, this printer suddenly started printing VEEERRY SLOW - like 3-5 minutes to print a simple B&W page that used to spit out in 15-20 secs. Worse, the problem was intermittant. Sometimes after running slow, it would jump back to its old zippy self for a while. Of course, as with most intermittants, the circumstances of these speed changes suggested a bunch of possible causes that were totally bogus.

THE SOLUTION: Long story short, the problem turned out to be caused by a defective black ink cartridge (HP factory) I'd recently installed. I've probably owned or used at least 10 different HP Inkjets since the original DeskWriter, and I've never run into this before. And you wouldn't normally suspect the cartridge, since once a slow-printing page came out, the quality was perfect. Nothing on the page to indicate a cartridge problem.

A KEY DIAGNOSTIC HELPER: After hours of chasing bogus clues through the driver software, the USB connection, etc, I realized that there's a way to tell for SURE whether the problem is in the computer or inside the printer itself: The test page to align the ink cartridges is generated entirely inside the printer. You can print it out with no computer connection at all. Sure enough, when I tried it, the alignment page printed out just as slow as everything else. Aha! From that point a little quick experimenting with swapping cartridges established that the slow print problem was being caused by that one bad black cartridge.

Worth bearing in mind if your printer starts making you crazy.
( Last edited by Spoffo; Mar 12, 2006 at 09:23 PM. )
Dual 1.8 G5 tower w/ Pioneer 112, 4 gb RAM, 500 & 200gb HDs
MacBook Pro 2.16 gHz Core 2 Duo, 4 gb RAM, VM Ware Fusion & Boot Camp installed with Win XP Pro (Previously used Parallels)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 12, 2006, 12:42 PM

Wow, I would never have suspected the cartridge, either. Great sleuthing, though!

tooki

kthnya1108
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2012, 11:48 PM

Changing the ink cartridge seems have done the trick. My printer was seriously taking about 10 minutes per page. I determined it was with the printer and not the computer or the connection by trying to make a copy. I changed the black cartridge and it was back to normal (copying, anyway - I'll find out about printing in a few minutes...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules