Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power Supply Exchange Program

Power Supply Exchange Program (Page 4)
bgordon
May 15, 2003, 12:32 AM

Since I had been using my MDD dual 1 GHz in a room with a HEPA filter blowing constantly, the fan noise was sufficiently masked so as not to be annoying....but now we've moved, the HEPA is in another room, and the original fan was driving me *batty*.

So I installed the Apple replacement kit which I had received a few weeks ago.

I managed to install it without any hitches, turned it on, and was amazed. . . . for 10 minutes. Then the fan kicked in as the CPU's heated up, and while not as bad as the previous fan, it still winds up and winds down very audibly. . . along with a diesel "chugging" noise someone else reported in this forum...and I can definitely hear the machine from my other room.

On a scale of 1-10, if my original fans were a 10, and the Quicksilver I use at work is a 1.5, then this solution is a 6.

I'm underwhelmed.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2003, 10:01 PM

Like you, I noticed a slight improvement in my MDD 867 G4 system. I think the main thing was that it's a little lower pitched whine / humming noise.

I debate whether it was worth the time it took for me to install it. I think it was, but was expecting something short of a small miracle...
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

[osX]RTouris
May 16, 2003, 06:56 PM

Just got my kit in the UK for my MDD Dual 867, but ever-since I ordered it, I switched to a FW800 Dual 1.25. Am i supposed to use at least the Papst fan in the new system, cause I've installed it and I can say one thing: Whoa, that's a lot quieter. Only prob being that I can't see it reving up any, so I'm a bit worried as to wether I am supposed to use this with FW800 machines

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2003, 02:59 PM

No more sticky for this thread
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 05:21 PM

I just got sent another Kit!... Apple don't want it back so I have ebayed it here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...730624846&rd=1

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 09:30 AM

Hey, folks. Sorry I have been neglecting the thread. I just got in... oh, 8 or 10 last friday. I'll be doing replacements all day.
I'll report the results (one of the guys is metering noise levels now for a comparison).

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2003, 11:06 PM

Well, I just finished ordering my replacement kit. Yeah, I know, I've been procrastinating. I've been so busy moving and getting my life in order. Anyway, I am going to get the kit and then drop it off at my local (not that local) Apple Store. I don't feel like fooling around with a screw driver.

I hope there is a significant sound difference because I really find this thing too loud, and I'm hardly the picky type.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

mugwump
May 25, 2003, 11:31 PM

Agree with the underwhelmed posters. It was perfect for the initial 10 minutes, until the biggie fan began to kick in and the famillar wind returned.

It seems clear that these machines are quiet enough when the ambient temp is cool. But when the room is a bit warm, watch out. I suppose that is what happens when you engineer these machines in ideal cool conditions. The real world may yield less desirable results.

Again, I don't see why these G4 chips require so much more cooling than their Pentium counterparts, which are very quiet these days.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2003, 09:33 AM

Right. To this point, I have done 22 replacements. Got a couple more today. One lemon in the lot. PS DOA. And what a pain in the ass it is to initiate an exchange, I'll tell you.

So the procedures are simple, learn a few lessons: read the damned directions. If you follow the ORDER, the procuedure goes more quickly. I got it down to a little under 6 minutes per. Remembering to remove the lower drive bay is pretty key for speed.

As for quality of improvement. I have NO idea what you folks are complaining about. 22 replacements, 22 VERY happy customers, 22 VERY quiet machines. No noise spikes, no whine, nothing unusual.

These machines are in environments from normal to the warm side. One of them gunned up a bit, but the firmware "reset all" took care of that- it was a holdover from the firmware thingy and was a unit I had failed to reset.

As for comparison cooling, the P and G chips are similar. Fan quality is different. Don't let ANYONE tell you P chips are cooler. They run about the same.

Also- the higher the MHz on a given chip, the more pwer consumption, the hotter it runs- Until the design of the chip changes and all of a sudden power reqs fall off because the chips are then DESIGNED to run at higher MHz. When the next phase of G chip runs up, It will probably be cooler.

Nice screen name. Burroughs much?

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

flame12
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2003, 04:38 PM

I recently just found out about this offer. I purchased my MDD last September and the fan noise is horrible. Is there anyone that has a replacement kit for the power supply that would sell it to me?
Because the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules