Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Graffiti or Keyboard?

Graffiti or Keyboard?
cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2001, 10:31 PM

As mentioned in mugwump's thread Handspring Treo, I wanted to bring this discussion to a new topic.

Originally posted by <mugwump1>:
<STRONG>Which is better, graffiti or a keyboard? I have little experience with pda's...)</STRONG>
I have always used graffiti since my first US Robotics Palm Pilot many years ago. I've always found it easier and faster.

Now, most other people I know (business associates, RL friends) seem to use the tiny keyboard all the time (tippity tapping ALL the time!). This seems so counter-productive to me.

Which of the two do the rest of you Palm OS people use most often?

amrosario
Oct 19, 2001, 10:45 PM

I'd like a mixture of both. I recently ordered a small snap-on keyboard so that I can do the "thumb typing" thing, just to alternate once in a while.
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat."

mugwump
Oct 20, 2001, 02:47 PM

I guess Handspring's goal in emphasizing the keyboard is to get to any address book entry in the fastest way possible. Also, they seem to believe it's easier to type out longer email/web/instant messages with a keyboard rather than a stylus. Finally, the stylus is always a two-handed operation, while the keyboard can be used with one hand on the wheel

But I think most would agree that for most navigating and clicking that graffiti is paramount. Especially w/ a game or two...

cpatubo  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2001, 03:38 PM

I suppose with the Treo, the keyboard does come in handy for, as you say, one handed operation. That's all right.

But the keyboard on the rest of the Visors seems really counter-productive to me. The user is still using both hands, with the stylus, to poke little tiny keys on the screen? Seems quite odd to me.

For data entry where a lot of typing would be involved, I would just use my desktop software. For on the fly single entries, I don't mind using Graffiti to do that.

Eh... to each their own.

mugwump
Oct 20, 2001, 08:44 PM

Yeah, I wonder if those keyboards actually work well. Has anyone tried any device with one? Isn't there a pager with a keyboard?

Woggle
Oct 21, 2001, 12:42 AM

Hmmm, what I've always wondered was why no one has offered a FITALY keyboard you could plug into your Pilot. As for the Treo, it seems to me that if it'll allow you to use the shareware program that makes the entire screen the Grafiti area, you could have the best of both worlds in the keyboard equipped unit.
Woggle
'I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.'-- No. 6

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2001, 09:43 AM

graffiti all the way. its easy and fast and effective. ive heard of people getting 50+ wpm with one of those fitaly stamp things though...

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Dec 16, 2001, 11:10 AM

Grafitti here, but admit I've never tried a keyboard. I wouldn't mind trying a keyboard, but have a hard time justifying spending as much on a keyboard as I did for my visor.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2001, 02:58 PM

For short entries I prefer Graffiti, but for longer things, I like the folding Palm Keyboard (well worth twice the price.) It is just plain awesome. Fast, convient, reliable, and sure as hell makes people look at you. Very good way to impress your boss.

scadboy
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2001, 07:45 PM

I owned two newtons before getting my palm m100, and then my Handspring edge, so I've always been a fan of writing on the screen. Granted, the newton did a much better, more natural job of it than graffita. Well, ok, my first newton, an mp100, sucked, but the mp130 was pretty good at it. I wasn't too sure about grafiti when I bought my first palm, some two years after I had ditched the mp130 in favor of a Powerbooks (wallstreet), but I got used to it, and now I actually can do it without thinking about it.

The first month I had my m100, I actually started unconsciously scribbling grafiti when I wrote on paper.

I plan on buying the grafiti Treo (180g) instead of the keyboard model. I've never used the onscreen keyboard, and I think the grafiti model just plain looks cooler ;-) All those little buttons bother me, and I've never been a fan of thumb typing. Very bad for the arthritis, I'd think.

anywho, grafiti rocks!

ciao,

michael

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2001, 09:48 AM

Right the 2.1 OS Newtons (like my 2100mp) have awesome handwriting recoginition. I never use my keyboard... I really like graffiti just as much though, so I have the graffiti plug-in which replaces the "digital-keyboard" thingy on my newton. super fun stuff.

I can't imagine why anyone would use the on screen keyboard over any of the handwriting software - unless they have had trouble learning the new language (be that mental or whatever)...

Richard Clark
Senior User
Dec 17, 2001, 12:57 PM

First I don't have my Handspring yet. It's on the way. I have been researching a lot though -

But (and if this is stupid please forgive me in advance) if you want to do serious input with a keyboard why not do it at your computer and hotsync it with the PDA?

Although I bet there are some that might say that they need that ability immediately when they're away from a computer.

Having a keyboard to a PDA seems to defeat the purpose of the PDA to me. Personally I don't want to be lugging around extra hardware than I absoultely have to.

I dunno, maybe it's just me. And like I said I don't have my Handspring yet. SO PLEASE DON'T TORTURE A NEWBIE!!!!

"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Forum Links
Forum Rules