Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do You Have a Dog? If So, Why Is Your Dog Great?

Do You Have a Dog? If So, Why Is Your Dog Great?
iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 12:32 PM

I know, I know, everyone here seems to have cats, but this is about dogs for once.

(Over in the Powerbook section there are more stories about cats having ruined Powerbooks than you can imagine -- amazing.)

Do you have a great dog or did you have a great dog? Why is/was it great?

We have a really great dog that we were given. He's a Shetland sheepdog (sheltie) and he was given to us by a Shetland sheepdog rescue organization a couple of years ago. An older woman who lived in an apartment bought him and then because he barked she locked him in her bathroom. For about six months. When we got him he was eight months old, had no fur on one side (from laying on the same side), had been crapping in the bathroom for months and months because she never took him out. When she moved out she left him in the bathroom. The apartment complex manager called Animal Rescue and they called the Shetland Sheepdog Rescue Organization to come and get him.

We got the phone call about him because we were on a list for an adoption. When I saw him he was terribly underweight, fur on only one side, and shy and scared. I walked him to my car and he was freaked out by being outside: Bushes, birds, even squirrels scared him.

Now he's almost three years old and he's just the best dog in the world. VERY smart. To top it off, he's also now a registered companion dog: One of the dogs that goes around to nursing homes and pediatric wards in hospitals to cheer the patients up. He's obedience trained and he's quiet. He loves people.

So, that's our dog and he's wonderful.

Last question: Do you think dogs have souls?

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 12:41 PM

Aww, we used to have a Sheltie when I was little.
My parents have a yellow lab named Louie Biscotti. They love that dog more than anything!! There were so NOT dog people, before they got Lou, now everytime they leave him they get all sad. I'm surprised they don't carry pics of him in their wallets!
He is great because he saved my parents. My brother died 2 and half years ago and we picked Lou out about a week after the funeral. Perhaps the BEST thing in the world. He has helped my parents so much in getting thru my brother's death--just giving them something to focus on and love. He is such a sweet dog, too. And smart. And spoiled! They were talking about getting another one, but I think they need to get a bigger bed first.

And yes I do think dogs have souls.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
I know, I know, everyone here seems to have cats, but this is about dogs for once.

(Over in the Powerbook section there are more stories about cats having ruined Powerbooks than you can imagine -- amazing.)

Do you have a great dog or did you have a great dog? Why is/was it great?

We have a really great dog that we were given. He's a Shetland sheepdog (sheltie) and he was given to us by a Shetland sheepdog rescue organization a couple of years ago. An older woman who lived in an apartment bought him and then because he barked she locked him in her bathroom. For about six months. When we got him he was eight months old, had no fur on one side (from laying on the same side), had been crapping in the bathroom for months and months because she never took him out. When she moved out she left him in the bathroom. The apartment complex manager called Animal Rescue and they called the Shetland Sheepdog Rescue Organization to come and get him.

We got the phone call about him because we were on a list for an adoption. When I saw him he was terribly underweight, fur on only one side, and shy and scared. I walked him to my car and he was freaked out by being outside: Bushes, birds, even squirrels scared him.

Now he's almost three years old and he's just the best dog in the world. VERY smart. To top it off, he's also now a registered companion dog: One of the dogs that goes around to nursing homes and pediatric wards in hospitals to cheer the patients up. He's obedience trained and he's quiet. He loves people.

So, that's our dog and he's wonderful.

Great Story. It makes me angry when people treat there animals like that. People like that should be treated like they treat there animals.

Anyway, It's nice to hear your dog has a nice home now. I don't know for me I'm torn between cats and dogs. Love them both unfortunately I am allergic to both. I can do a dog with real hair, maybe when I get a house.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
I can do a dog with real hair, maybe when I get a house.
As opposed to a dog that wears a wig?
I'm sorry, that just struck me as funny! I know what you mean, tho.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 12:57 PM

I like DesignerTerp's story. "Louie Biscotti" is a great name!

(That's sad about your brother, by the way.)

Anyway, yes, our dog wasn't in great shape -- not what we were expecting.

There's a great twist though: When we took him to the veterinarian we found out he had a microchip. Through the microchip we were able to find out that which kennel he'd come from.

We found out that this psycho-bitch that bought him had had him sent to her because she lied and said she was a well-known Sheltie person who showed her dogs. The lady whose kennel he came from sent him with an $800 deposit and the woman who was receiving him, the buyer, was to send another $800 when she received him and then she would be forwarded the AKC papers for registration.

Only, the psycho-bitch never completed payment and the woman who raised him never heard from her again. When I got the number I was able to contact HomeAgain (the microchip regitration company) and they were able to tell us where he'd come from.

When the kennel was contacted the woman that had sent him was SO happy to hear from us. I offered to pay her the remainder of the money for him ($800) or send him back to her. She was very gracious. She didn't want him back but she sent us his AKC registration papers!

It turns out that his father has been at Westminster dog show and has won all kinds of awards and is ROM champion.

That's why he's so sweet after all he's been through: Great genes.

Anyway, he's super. He plays with our toddler all day long, sleeps with him at night, and he truly is amazing. They play tag all day. The toddler (3 years old) runs through the house and the dog chases him and will tug at the back of his shirt when he "catches" him. Our son starts giggling hysterically, the dog lets go, our son runs away, and the dog chases him all over again. When our son takes a nap or goes to sleep the dog jumps up on his bed and naps with him. I think our son thinks he's his brother or something!

He's really awesome. Plus, our parrot, Gobi, loves him too and rides around on his back.

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 01:01 PM

I like DesignerTerp's story. "Louie Biscotti" is a great name!

(That's sad about your brother, by the way.)

Anyway, yes, our dog wasn't in great shape -- not what we were expecting.

There's a great twist though: When we took him to the veterinarian we found out he had a microchip. Through the microchip we were able to find out that which kennel he'd come from.

We found out that this psycho-bitch that bought him had had him sent to her because she lied and said she was a well-known Sheltie person who showed her dogs. The lady whose kennel he came from sent him with an $800 deposit and the woman who was receiving him, the buyer, was to send another $800 when she received him and then she would be forwarded the AKC papers for registration.

Only, the psycho-bitch never completed payment and the woman who raised him never heard from her again. When I got the number I was able to contact HomeAgain (the microchip regitration company) and they were able to tell us where he'd come from.

When the kennel was contacted the woman that had sent him was SO happy to hear from us. I offered to pay her the remainder of the money for him ($800) or send him back to her. She was very gracious. She didn't want him back but she sent us his AKC registration papers!

It turns out that his father has been at Westminster dog show and has won all kinds of awards and is ROM champion.

That's why he's so sweet after all he's been through: Great genes.

Anyway, he's super. He plays with our toddler all day long, sleeps with him at night, and he truly is amazing. They play tag all day. The toddler (3 years old) runs through the house and the dog chases him and will tug at the back of his shirt when he "catches" him. Our son starts giggling hysterically, the dog lets go, our son runs away, and the dog chases him all over again. When our son takes a nap or goes to sleep the dog jumps up on his bed and naps with him. I think our son thinks he's his brother or something!

He's really awesome. Plus, our parrot, Gobi, loves him too and rides around on his back.
Thanks--if they get another puppy his name will be Rocky Cannoli.

Yours is a good story, too--I'd like to see your parrot riding him!! That's cute.

I love dogs. Eventually I'd like to get one of my own, but not for a few years.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 01:03 PM

I have a friend who is allergic to dogs.

She got a Portuguese Water Dog. They don't shed, period. They also don't have dander like regular dogs and very little oil in their skin.

They're recommended by dermatologists for that reason.

They have a great coat (needs to be trimmed or professionally clipped every two or three months), but because they're considered a working dog they have super personalities. Like a golden retriever or a labrador retriever.

They're between 40 to 70 pounds, although most I've seen are right around 50 pounds or so.

Plus, hers LOVES the water. That dog will dive down to the bottom of a pool to get anything -- they're known for swimming underwater, actually. They were bred to live on boats and dive down to unsnag anchors and ropes in the water. They have webbed feet and hold their breath for a long time.

I love our Sheltie but I think our next dog will be a Portie (Portuguese Water Dog) because I love her dog so much.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 01:08 PM

Chinook Beloved Winchester Simon

She's named "Chinook" after the Charlie Russell painting "Waiting for a Chinook" which depicts a lone calf waiting for a warm wind during an extremely cold looking scene. Russell was a great Montana artist who I've liked for years. Chinook is a term used in Montana (don't know about anywhere else) to describe a warm wind during the winter. Sort of like Santa Ana winds. It's also a type of salmon. And Chinook swims like a fish and lets off plenty of warm wind.

"Beloved" because that's what both my wife and my name mean. So all of our pets have that as a middle name. And she is beloved!

"Winchester" is her purebred AKC name, from her mother.

Why is she great? Who else is happy to see you when you just lost a baseball game by 20 runs? Who else holds no grudges if you neglect petting them? Who else puts every ounce of energy into being the family "glue" that keeps us all together? Who else knows when you are sad, then does something to make you feel better?
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 01:13 PM

Great picture!

That dog DEFINITELY has a soul!

ambush
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 01:14 PM

My dog is great because he's stupid, and I guess that makes him a good friend.

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:

::snipped::
She is SO cute!!!

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 01:37 PM

Yes, yes I do. Three, in fact.
Lucky on the left. His name is Lucky because he, well, IS. My sister was driving behind a black Volvo on the Merit pkwy. A black trash bag was thrown from said a$$hole's car. Lucky was inside- 12 weeks old. Sister chased said a$$bag, got his tag, reported him. Guy actually got time.
Wolfgang is in the middle. He's m'boy. He's ten and is the epitome of "Great Dog". Gromit far right. DOomed to a life of cute. MOst excellent personality. What makes them great? They're DOGS, is what makes them great.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 01:51 PM

"Mommy, will there be dogs in heaven?"

"Yes, dear - if there were no dogs, it wouldn't be heaven."

All I have is a pet ant, but he fetches and rolls over, just like a dog. Pet him behind the thorax and you've got a friend for life.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 02:41 PM

I see max has discovered that once you go black, you never go back... (Says the owner of one black dog and two black cats.)

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 03:01 PM

Dave, how right you are. Black dogs now. Black dogs always.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Dave, how right you are. Black dogs now. Black dogs always.
Just make sure you never wear white pants.

(That's really a rule for me whether you have black pets or not.)

disco_stu
Aug 6, 2003, 04:42 PM

My fianc�e and I just got a puppy last week. She's really cute. And that's about all she has going for her; she hasn't really gotten used to us and her new environment, but she's coming along (we hope!). We especially like it when she barks all night. That's really funny.

All in all, it's been a TON more work than we'd ever expected, and I've had dogs all my life (first real puppy though - she's only 9 weeks old!).

Her name is Boston, she's a Golden Retriever.

Here's a pic:

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by disco_stu:
My fianc�e and I just got a puppy last week. She's really cute. And that's about all she has going for her; she hasn't really gotten used to us and her new environment, but she's coming along (we hope!). We especially like it when she barks all night. That's really funny.

All in all, it's been a TON more work than we'd ever expected, and I've had dogs all my life (first real puppy though - she's only 9 weeks old!).

Awwww! She's cute!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 05:55 PM

I have 3 dogs. They are a great companion.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I have 3 dogs. They are a great companion.
Must be those Siamese triplet dogs then, eh? Truly a rare breed.

disco_stu
Aug 6, 2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Awwww! She's cute!
Thanks - she's a handful!

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 07:06 PM

She's way adorable, stu...

As far as the barking and such, it's hard to be away from home and mom for the first time!

She'll get used to you and you'll have a perfect dog. I promise!

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Must be those Siamese triplet dogs then, eh? Truly a rare breed.
Maybe he has the three headed dog from the first Harry Potter...

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 07:18 PM

All animals have souls. Except spiders, lawyers and J-Lo.

disco_stu
Aug 6, 2003, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
As far as the barking and such, it's hard to be away from home and mom for the first time!

She'll get used to you and you'll have a perfect dog. I promise!
Thanks! We actually discovered a few nights ago that she's a lot quieter if we leave a radio on near her crate. She really likes 80's music, strangely enough.

I'll be ecstatic when my fianc�e and I can get back to a normal sleep routine!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 08:59 PM

I hope they warned you about the hair.

Benny the Wonder Dog.

He looks nervous in this photo because he's a bit wary of the antlers.

Benny's hobbies include eating, sleeping, farting, erm... that's about it.

He's done advanced training courses and is very well behaved. He's trained to walk alongside you without a leash, although around here a leash is compulsory. "Must be under control on a leash" they say. So we put one end of the leash on his collar and he holds the other end in his mouth. Hey, he's on a leash and he's under control.

He drops the leash when he wants to sniff something and then picks it up again before carrying on. Really cute. He gets lots of attention.

BTW: Black dogs in Australia cook in the sun.

disco_stu
Aug 6, 2003, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
...SNIP...
Beautiful Golden! That picture is absolutely priceless!

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 11:10 PM

Here's my goofball pondering the best way to get the bubbles:

Being subjected to sailing:

And trying to look regal during a break at the park:

Harley is great because:
-She's the only one of her kind. Every time we go to the dog park, folks ask us what kind of dog she is. We've even had people in the lane of traffic next to us roll down their window and ask.
-She has a 5 foot vertical leap.
-She can get about 7 feet up a tree if there's a squirrel to get.
-She smiles.
-Her ears have an infinite number of positions, all downright adorable.
-She makes up tricks herself. One day, we didn't put her food bowl down fast enough, so she thought the might hurry us by spinning in a few circles, rolling over, and then sitting there expectantly. Now we make her dance for her food for a laugh.
-And all the standard reasons- happy to see us come home, happy to be alive, unconditional love, ect.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2003, 11:10 PM

my dog is the greatest, he tastes better than any other meat.
that's why i eat only bits of him daily.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
Oh my dog loves bubbles too. Doesn't seem to mind the taste either.

That's a nice looking dog. Is he part blue heeler?

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 11:55 PM

Yes, yes I do. Three, in fact.
Lucky on the left. His name is Lucky because he, well, IS. My sister was driving behind a black Volvo on the Merit pkwy. A black trash bag was thrown from said a$$hole's car. Lucky was inside- 12 weeks old. Sister chased said a$$bag, got his tag, reported him
Your Lucky reminds me of the dog I grew up with when I was just a youngun'. My older sister bought him home from some dude at a flea market back in the late 60's / early 70's that told her it was an "authentic Australian Dingo". So she named him "Dingo". Many years later we learned that was a load of crap of course, but it's one of those funny stories we talk about sometimes.

I basically grew-up with that dog. He was like my best friend. I guess I was about 14 or 15 when Dingo got a lump on his neck. Big lump too. When you'd pet him you could feel it sticking out. My parents took him to the vet and they said it was cancer and there was really nothing they could do for him.

Dingo was already 15 human years old as-is (which is basically a full life-span for most dogs or cats).

It was tough because my parents had him put to sleep eventually. It sucked In the end though, I suppose it was the right thing to do. That poor being was suffering towards the ending.

I'd give my left nut for one more day with him.

I haven't owned a dog since then. My wife (when I was married) wanted a cat though. I was pretty set against the idea because we'd had hamsters and they died from heat over-exposure. Finally I gave-in and we had a cat. A Little black and white female named Tia (Tay-uh). At first, I sort of hated having her around and having to take care of her but she started to grow on me. Eventually, I think she loved me more than her "master" (my ex-wife).

We gave her to a friends sister when we split-up. the last I heard she's doing fine.

MikeM
( Last edited by MikeM33; Aug 7, 2003 at 12:10 AM. )

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 12:07 AM

Oh my dog loves bubbles too. Doesn't seem to mind the taste either.

That's a nice looking dog. Is he part blue heeler?
Thanks- we think so too. Yep, half blue heeler.... Wanna take a guess at the other half?

I forgot the other reason she's so cool- she was sent to the Humane Society as early as she could go as a pup, was adoped and returned 4 times, expired her alloted time at the shelter and was adopted by a gal who does ACD rescue.

We ended up meeting her through an odd turn of events, but found the dog with the perfect personality match for my wife and me.

She does have some bad qualities- her burning desire to chase, catch and destroy motorcycles, and she's a hyperactive, panting, bouncing, barking travel companion in the car.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
Thanks- we think so too. Yep, half blue heeler.... Wanna take a guess at the other half?

She does have some bad qualities- her burning desire to chase, catch and destroy motorcycles, and she's a hyperactive, panting, bouncing, barking travel companion in the car.
Dalmation?

We've got a station wagon. Benny just sits in the back watching the other cars.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2003, 02:26 AM

My dog, Mugsie, is half Staffordshire and half pug. I cannot even begin to comprehend how his parents got together. Although he looks kinda intimidating, he's the biggest wuss west of the Mississippi. His biggest thrills in life are: eating, sleeping, eating, barking at strangers, hoisting the most bodacious petards, eating, lookig soulful, wagging his tail, licking his b..ls and wishing he could talk.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 05:31 AM

I got a new puppy last month... His name is Barney (The Barnster...!) and he is an English Cocker Spaniel. He's 14 weeks now, so he can go out walking, and everything, only he goes absolutely everywhere with me!... Only problem is, everyone stops me and has to stroke him... the little guy really plays up to it too! A small 10 minute walk took over half an hour yesterday!

http://homepage.mac.com/mjr22/PhotoAlbum19.html

He is so cool!

He sleeps at the bottom of my bed, has a serious chewing problem (!), follows me everywhere, is not happy unless he is in the midst of my family, will only eat home made dog food not tinned, has a great temperament with kids and stuff, he can also be a real handful...and I already can't think of what life was like without the little guy!

Peace,

Marc

(I absolutely love Golden Retrievers as well (gorgeous pup disco_stu!), as we has one when I was young... I would have sworn he was human. A really gentle dog, and we all still miss him badly... )

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 08:04 AM

Dalmation?

We've got a station wagon. Benny just sits in the back watching the other cars.
We have a winner, folks. We're told she the result of a Dalmation and a Cattle Dog getting together.

We just bought a station wagon, since we've got a kid on the way, and want to have Harley be able to travel with us. Oh the money I'd pay to have her sit down, shut up and watch other cars back there..... On one trip in the sedan we folded the back seats forward so the trunk wasn't separated from the main car area anymore and positioned the dog gate where the seatbacks were. We stuck her in the trunk so she couldn't bounce around or see things to bark at. It took her activitiy level down a notch, but she was far from calm.

I'm sure it's going to be an adventure the first time we put child and dog in car together to travel.....

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 08:24 AM

Get a cargo barrier. Nothing worse than a 20kg dog bouncing around in the car if you crash.

Also, the pooch can go bonkers in the back without bothering you.

BTW: I had a blue heeler/kelpie cross called Ugly. Thick as a brick, but lovable.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 08:39 AM

Well, here are my boys.

This little black one is Tjarne (It should mean "black" in Polish but is probably not spelled right) Sweet dog.

This one is called Yaskasin and is as dumb as brick. He used to get police-dog training but was soon released from the training school for being to...well....dumb. He just refused to bite when he needed to. Another sweet dog though.

And now I'd like to take the opportunity to post some pics of my best friend again. He died not too long ago but whenever I get the change to post pics of him I do. Kind of makes my day looking at him again.

digimage
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 09:18 AM

I think dogs wonder if we do.

My dog, Maggie was adopted from a co-worker that couldn't care for her anymore.

She's a beagle/lab mix and is wonderful.
Smart, energetic, always there when we need a friend.

We spoil her rotten with many "car-car" rides.
She been all over the east coast.

Maggie was rescued from a fellow AOLer.
She's currently encoding a first listen

She steals socks, has a 45-50 word vocabulary, so we have to be very careful what we say around her. Any word she knows like ice cream or car-car, and that head snaps to one side.

( Last edited by digimage; Aug 7, 2003 at 11:49 AM. )

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by digimage:
I think dogs wonder if we do.

My dog, Maggie was adopted from a co-worker that couldn't care for her anymore.

She's a beagle/lab mix and is wonderful.
Smart, energetic, always there when we need a friend.

We spoil her rotten with many "car-car" rides.
She been all over the east coast.

I see it's a smart dog too. I bet when you are asleep it uses your Mac without you knowing. Ever have icons ot things moved and didn't know why?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 09:56 AM

Is your dog called spacefreak by any chance?

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 10:10 AM

That dog is obviously too smart, sweet kind and to be called spacefreak.

Mr. Frost- Tjarne is a schipperke?
Oh- Denny. What a puppy. Lookit those EYES! I'll tell you, he's the best dog I never met. He was a great one and it's easy to see by just the pics.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by digimage:

Surfin' for doggy pr0n...obviously.

Got busted. Hence the cute "I wasn't dooooing anything" look.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 10:33 AM

Puppy pr0n? DAMMIT! THAT's what Gromit is up to when... how the frig does he apple+w so fast? Without thumbs, I mean...

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 11:11 AM

This is my dog, Kade, who is half lab half golden retriever. He gets the paper in the morning which is very handy when one doesn't own a robe, or it's cold and snowy out.

Our other dog, Daisy, is a Lab - both are rescue dogs and so sweet. I highly recommend this avenue of ownership, by the way. There are so many great dogs out there who need good homes. We got both of ours when they were about six months old and they were already house broken!

Yes, dogs have souls�they are much nicer than most people.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 11:18 AM

Kade is a cutie. But then again, how could any lab or lab mix not be (I'm a lab lover.)

The fact that you rescued them is great. Thanks. And thanks to max for his saving (well, his sister's saving) of Lucky.

We are, in fact, the lucky ones. The ones who get to share our lives with these great animals.

And their farts.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 11:43 AM

All of my puppies are pound puppies and I will always go to a shelter or rescue to adopt.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 11:45 AM

Get a cargo barrier. Nothing worse than a 20kg dog bouncing around in the car if you crash.

Also, the pooch can go bonkers in the back without bothering you.

BTW: I had a blue heeler/kelpie cross called Ugly. Thick as a brick, but lovable.
She goes in a travel crate that we secure down in the back of the wagon- I have no intention to have canine projectiles in my vehicle.

You'd have to be deaf for her to not bother you. Her endurance to pant, whine, bark, yelp and otherwise carry on is quite amazing.

daves- switching to lamb and rice kibble took my dog from a flatulent stinkbomb to 99% fart free.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 11:57 AM

Ditto me. I use Nutro food (my vet suggested it when Wolfgang was a year old- he said Sci Di and Puke-a- nooba were overpriced and sh!tty tasting and, nutritionally speaking, a completely unjustifiable expense. Lady was right). Skin issues went away, foul fetid fumes only arrive when they have gotten into something they shouldn't have. Note on that: Turnip is not bad for dogs at all. Really. But between wife, child and three dogs, the fumes drove me right our of the house.

On the other side: Two of the worst foods for dogs: Beer and Onions. Together or seperate.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 12:04 PM

Mr. Frost- Tjarne is a schipperke?
Oh- Denny. What a puppy. Lookit those EYES! I'll tell you, he's the best dog I never met. He was a great one and it's easy to see by just the pics.
Yea, Tjarne is indeed a schipperke. Funny thing though is that while it is a real Belgian dog, ...we bought it in Poland.

Aaaaah Denny, we miss him so much. I still think about him every day. Thanks again for everyone here that helped me through those days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules