Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther - what would cause nearly 2 GB to disappear?

Panther - what would cause nearly 2 GB to disappear?
disco_stu
Oct 28, 2003, 11:25 AM

So, last night I unplugged my monitor from my tower and hooked it up to my PC to play some Half-Life like I always do. I left open a bunch of applications (Finder, Activity Manager, Address Book, iCal, iPhoto, iTunes, Mail, Safari, Stickies, System Preferences, Keychain Access, Terminal, xCode, Photoshop 7, BBEdit 6.x, MS Entourage, Net Newswire Lite, Omni Outliner, Transmit, and Watson), but none of the apps were doing anything processor intensive.

After about an hour, I switched back to the tower, entered my password at the screen saver prompt, and was greeted with an alert from the Finder: "Warning you are running out of room on your System drive" or something to that effect. I open a Finder window, and it shows that my primary drive has only 128 MB of free space left!

I rebooted the machine immediately, and now it says that I have just over 2 GB of space available on the main partition (which is what I should have). Does anyone know why/how this would happen? Could it be a memory leak in some app I had open (or that was running in the background)?

Stupidly, I immediately restarted and didn't even think to look at the Activity Monitor.app, and I've tried to recreate it to no avail.

FYI - I have two partitions on my drive: the main system partition is 7 GB, and the data partition (with my home directory, music, photos, etc.) is 50 GB.

Sorry for the long post - just wanted to be as concise as possible!

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!
:-)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2003, 11:32 AM

Possibly a big swap file was created?

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 11:34 AM

It could be swap files. In Panther they grow in size.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

disco_stu  (op)
Oct 28, 2003, 11:54 AM

Thanks guys!

Is it possible to tell the operating system to use my larger data partition for swap space? Or should I just back everything up and re-partition, giving the system drive a few more gigs of space?

Thanks again.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 12:58 PM

Maybe your logs. I lost about 15 gigs. I used the free copy of Cocktail to delete all my logs and got all the space back.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Maybe your logs. I lost about 15 gigs. I used the free copy of Cocktail to delete all my logs and got all the space back.
15GB of logs? YIKES!

As for 2GB worth of logs being written in just an hour...I would be suprised....

Forum Links
Forum Rules