Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Widget Manager in new 10.4.2 update

Widget Manager in new 10.4.2 update
Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2005, 09:41 AM

Rumor has it that a widget manager will accompany the newly to-be released 10.4.2

However, this widget manager is lacking an "auto-update" feature which is much needed. I have over 100 widgets in my widget folder. While this new manager will help me enable or delete widgets, i would rather see a feature that checks Apple's website for NEWER versions of the widgets i already have.
( Last edited by Reggie Fowler; Jun 25, 2005 at 09:52 AM. )

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2005, 09:47 AM

Right... cause it's gona create a google index of the whole interweb and keep track of which of your widgets change, so that it knows if a new one is released... uhh that would be the Widget's job not OS X's...

Reggie Fowler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2005, 09:55 AM

I agree. It would be tough to check the entire internet.

But i would settle for a widget manager that AT LEAST checks Apple's Website and the widgets they offer.

It would be very helpful!
( Last edited by Reggie Fowler; Jun 26, 2005 at 12:16 AM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2005, 11:38 AM

this is what i've read about the new dashboard features in .4.2

“The forthcoming Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update will let users delete widgets from the Dashboard dock by hovering over the widget’s name and selecting a small deletion icon. Upon selecting the icon - a red circular image with a dash through it - a confirmation dialog will appear, asking the user to confirm that they want to move that widget to the trash.”

AppleInsider also notes a new method for installing widgets. Rather than being automatically placed in your ~/Library/Widgets folder, the user will double-click the downloaded widget to launch a new Widget Installer. “Users will reportedly be able to “Test Drive” the widget in a self-contained area of the installer before agreeing to install it on their system.” ThinkSecret corroborated this report, citing an “improved widget download experience.”

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 11:50 AM

Wow. Apple is actually adding a feature that could be useful in a minor update instead of making us wait another year and a half to get it. I'm betting this will be the only feature we'll get for 10.4.x.
Genius. You know who.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2005, 11:54 AM

This would be nice.

Now, if we could arrange widgets in the dashboard anyway we'd like and not just alphabetical.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Now, if we could arrange widgets in the dashboard anyway we'd like and not just alphabetical.
That will change as well per Think Secret's report...

"At the upper-right of the widget manager is the Dashboard icon, at the upper-left is a close box, and at the upper-middle is a selector allowing users to sort the widget list by name, date, and whether it is enabled or not."

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 10:08 PM

That's just in the widget manager, not the widget dock from which you add new widgets.

Reggie Fowler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2005, 02:21 PM

Nobody has commented on the need for an auto-updater for the widgets.

I assume nobody would like to see that feature?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Reggie Fowler

That would be nice. I think an updater that is built to look into the Apple widget database (from Apple's site) would be possible. I also think more widgets should check for their own updates though...

Reggie Fowler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2005, 11:44 PM

Agreed. I wish they would check!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 12:51 AM

Agreed. I wish they would check!
Apple will only provide updaters for Apple software.
There are too many issues with updating third paty software on computers.

Maybe MacUptate or version tracker desktop software will help you.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2005, 01:12 AM

moonmonkey's totally right. third party widget updates would be a logistical nightmare for Apple to pull off.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Reggie Fowler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2005, 07:31 AM

It would be a nightmare, but if they only focus on widgets which are on Apple's site....i think it could work.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2005, 07:33 AM

And when new widgets are created?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 09:35 AM

How do sites like VersionTracker and Macupdate do this? Could it be similar?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
moonmonkey's totally right. third party widget updates would be a logistical nightmare for Apple to pull off.
Maybe, maybe not. The 3rd party widgets would probably need to register their status with Apple's site. It would be pretty simple for Apple to implement a web API for this purpose... whether they do, and whether they make it available to 3rd parties, who knows.

But where do you typically go to find Konfab widgets, for example? Oh that's right, Konfabulator.com. I wouldn't do a Google search to try and find Konfab, OR Dashboard widgets, I'd go to their respective sites and see what widgets are listed. And the only way they get listed is by notifying the appropriate site.

andreadeca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2005, 10:42 AM

Would it not be nice if people waited to SEE the new update before commenting on it's functionalities?
Something feels wrong about writing post after post on stuff that has yet to happen and that nobody has yet seen (i.e. all the "intel" posts...)

...just my 2 cents.

Andrea

Reggie Fowler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2005, 09:29 PM

ok, to be continued!

I hope someone at Apple is reading these posts!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2005, 11:13 PM

ok, to be continued!

I hope someone at Apple is reading these posts!
I sent feedback on the dashboard dock ordering. Have you sent in feedback on your pet wish?

torifile
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 02:26 AM

I need a program to help me efficiently organize my widgets on my screen! I've got a bunch (and very useful ones at that) but getting them efficiently placed isn't working. I'd also love to have something like "workplaces" for my widgets so I can add/remove widgets without disturbing my set up too much. I've found that I've gotten used to where they are on my screen so I can look quickly at my dashboard and see what I want - my schedule, the weather, the NY Times headlines, etc. I'm scared to move 'em!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2005, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by torifile
I need a program to help me efficiently organize my widgets on my screen! I've got a bunch (and very useful ones at that) but getting them efficiently placed isn't working. I'd also love to have something like "workplaces" for my widgets so I can add/remove widgets without disturbing my set up too much. I've found that I've gotten used to where they are on my screen so I can look quickly at my dashboard and see what I want - my schedule, the weather, the NY Times headlines, etc. I'm scared to move 'em!

Uhh, I don't think there will ever be an app that organizes your widgets on screen. For that, you'll have to bite the bullet and do it yourself.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by torifile
The latest build of Amnesty allows creations of multiple "layouts", where each layout is basically a virtual dashboard where you can arrange any set of widgets as you like. You can then bring a layout to the screen via the Amnesty menu.

(and the 1.0 build of Amnesty, which will be released next week, you'll be able to program hot keys to bring up any widget layout you want at any time).

So, as long as you're willing to think oustide of Dashboard, you get sort of get the "workplaces" you're looking for.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2005, 02:08 AM

Amnesty is still too rough to use, imo.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Amnesty is still too rough to use, imo.
Can you elaborate? Are there some widgets you've found that work in Dashboard and not Amnesty? Or are there other issues?
( Last edited by saddino; Jun 29, 2005 at 01:59 PM. )

disco_stu
Jul 2, 2005, 05:42 AM

Hey,
I'm actually working on something like this - I've opened up a sourceforge acct. and everything. However, I'm on vacation and have very limited net access, so I won't be able to do any serious work on it until I get back in a couple of weeks. Sorry to be so vague, and I know I have a low post count, so I probably won't be taken seriously (hehe), but, well, I saw a need for this type of feature, too, so I figure'd I'd try to implement an easy solution...

thx!
disco_stu

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by disco_stu
Hey,
I'm actually working on something like this - I've opened up a sourceforge acct. and everything. However, I'm on vacation and have very limited net access, so I won't be able to do any serious work on it until I get back in a couple of weeks. Sorry to be so vague, and I know I have a low post count, so I probably won't be taken seriously (hehe), but, well, I saw a need for this type of feature, too, so I figure'd I'd try to implement an easy solution...

thx!
disco_stu
Very cool, I'm looking forward to something like this. Please contact me to beta test if you would like when it gets closer to completion.

disco_stu
Jul 19, 2005, 09:13 AM

To Reggie Fowler and ManOfSteal (and anyone else interested), my idea for a 'WidgetUpdate' type of app:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?p=2614470

Forum Links
Forum Rules