Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Airport and basestations

Airport and basestations
imactheknife
Jul 31, 2003, 12:49 PM

I was wondering what base stations besides the apple one are compatible with airport in an ibook? I have the card but the apple base stations are really expensive...will linksys work? thanks for the help....great board to get info on...Mark

leongwt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2003, 12:57 PM

yes, the linksys will work. in fact, any base station that supports 802.11b will work. i am using a SMC at home.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2003, 01:11 PM

I have a linksys wifi router and access point in my office and I can tell you that my Ibook has the best reception of all computers in the office. Its performance with the linksys is superb.

On the other hand the linksys pcmcia wifi card for windows laptops, is in the other side of the spectrum. Its performance leaves much to be desired.

My office is an old house made of pure concrete/bricks and such, nevertheless the Ibook receives (or the airport card) the signal with pretty much signal.

In other words, the Ibook performs better with the linksys than any pc laptop here.

Would I recommned the linksys wifi router/access point? Hell yeah. The pcmcia card is another story. I tried a pcmcia BenQ and it has much better reception than the pcmcia card from linksys.

regards

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 03:47 PM

Any base station advertising 802.11b should work fine.

However, these days you might consider getting an 802.11g compatible base to give yourself a little future-proofing (the linksys "g" router is about $99 now).
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

imactheknife  (op)
Jul 31, 2003, 05:41 PM

thanks for the help guys..went out and got a real good deal on a airport card, and then I bought a wireless linksys router for $99 CDN...it took a few minutes to configure the router with ADAL, but it works like a charm now! kinda fun being wireless! hmm where to go now! thanks again for the help...

imactheknife  (op)
Aug 1, 2003, 10:12 PM

Hi again...I bought an airport card and a linksys wireless router...they work wicked together...I am sitting in the cooler living room watching tv...up to 40 Ft away...house isn't that big! anyways...this is pretty coool..thanks again for the advice....thanks Mark

Forum Links
Forum Rules