Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best new car for under 20k?

Best new car for under 20k?
sworthy
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 02:08 PM

My SO is looking to buy a new car. Our price range is definitely limited (and something closer to 15k might be better). Just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions. Or do you think we should get a used car, say a 2000?

Please help me out

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
My SO is looking to buy a new car. Our price range is definitely limited (and something closer to 15k might be better). Just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions. Or do you think we should get a used car, say a 2000?

Please help me out

Do you have an preferences? auto/manual? coupe/sedan? import/domestic? What do you currently own now?

imaxxedout69
Banned
May 5, 2003, 02:13 PM

engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2003, 02:16 PM

Go for a used 98 or 99 Audi A4 with manual. Should be able to get one with low miles (like 50 to 90) for a reasonable price.
I learned the hard way that you can't use vB smilies in your sig. see --> :cry:

sworthy  (op)
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 02:16 PM

definitely automatic, I have a SUV so she's just looking for a smallish car (4 doors though). Don't really care where it's made, but no rice rockets

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2003, 02:22 PM

definitely automatic, I have a SUV so she's just looking for a smallish car (4 doors though). Don't really care where it's made, but no rice rockets
Ha ha ha..ok!
Well there is a $3000 rebate on Chevy's, the Cavalier would definitely be in that price range. Honda's are good, reliable and last freaking forever! Kia's are another relatively inexpensive car, the Spectra and the Optima are pretty sharp. Grand Am's too--nice size car, last a while.
Hmm if I had to buy a car, I would probably get a Civic or a VW. But I'm more of a Jeep Girl

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2003, 02:26 PM

My wife got a Jetta. She is in love with it. The base model comes with a lot of features.
There is no spoon

CaseCom
Professional Poster
May 5, 2003, 02:33 PM

If she just wants a solid basic sedan:

New: VW Jetta GL, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Mazda Protege.

Used: Jetta GLS, or maybe a 4-cyl. Honda Accord or a Civic EX.

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2003, 02:35 PM

Mini Cooper.

CVT model w/a few extras - $18,750

Yeah, I know, but if ca$h is going to push his vehicle of choice, I'm bound to push mine...
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 02:42 PM

The Hyundai Elantra GT is one sweet car. It looks like a Saab and is completely loaded, leather and all. The best part is that it's just around $15,000 brand new with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. Can't beat that.

The Hyundai Sonata looks Jaguar-like and is also loaded for about $17-18K. Same warranty as above.

Watch out for Hyundai.

Unfortunately, I don't own either on of those. I got a cheaper used car ('01 Olds Alero). But I test drove an Elantra and really liked it.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Kitschy:
It looks like a Saab and is completely loaded, leather and all.

The Hyundai Sonata looks Jaguar-like...
Exactly. Hyundai, like Kia before it, buys another automaker's car and tries to copy it. It's like buying a Rolex for $10 on Central West. When will Hyundai find their own style?

Cars under $20K:
- 99-00 Audi A4 (HOT car)
- Mini Cooper
- VW Jetta/Golf (if you prefer)
- Used VW Passat GLS
- Honda Civic/used Accord

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2003, 03:27 PM

The Hyundai Elantra GT is one sweet car. It looks like a Saab and is completely loaded, leather and all. The best part is that it's just around $15,000 brand new with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. Can't beat that.
Yeah, I've seen a few of those - a very sharp-looking car considering the price (I thought they had discontinued that model, but apparently not). Never been in one but the warranty is also hard to beat.

Among small cars, I'm still partial to the Golf. I think it's the best-looking of them all, including the Jetta, but it's often overlooked.

The Mick
Senior User
May 5, 2003, 03:38 PM

I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla. It is an exceptional small car IMHO. Good room for 4 adults, 40mpg on the highway (with a stick) and lots of power for such a small engine. It runs about $15K with an automatic.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

RGB
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 04:01 PM

Watch out for Hyundai.
I own a 2002 Elantra GT fully loaded. With rebates and all it cost me under 14k. That's with leather, ABS, sunroof, cruise control, etc. Handles great! The Cavalier is the fastest car in this range, but the current interior is bland and old GM style. The Elantra GT makes you feel like you're sitting in a car twice what it costs. That's why I chose the Elantra over the Cavalier. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

imaxxedout69
Banned
May 5, 2003, 04:02 PM

I like both of those hyundais.

Anyway, AVOID VWs and AUDIS. They are unreliable cars, and cost quite a bit to get fixed.

- Ca$h

imaxxedout69
Banned
May 5, 2003, 04:04 PM

Fun car suggestions, that are still reliable and have 4 doors, power windows, locks, etc.

#1 The Ford Contour SVT. Kickass car. Drives like a BMW, has Recaro leather seats, dependable, 200hp, incredible suspension, looks, tons of luxury options (power seats, sunroof, power mirrors, power locks, windows, keyless entry, and more.

Here are some reviews: (as you can see, nothing but praise)

http://cartalk.cars.com/Info/Testdri...-svt-1998.html

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...5/article.html

http://www.theautochannel.com/conten...o09019703.html

Here's a link to help you find one:
http://www.candsnet.com/Ford_Car/Ford_Contour_SVT.htm

I STRONGLY urge you to test drive one of these before purchasing that stratus... the contour is the same size, equally reliable, and a lot more fun. There's even a Contour SVT club you can join at www.contour.org.

Anyway, this is the car I'd get if I had 8 grand and wanted a 4 door. ITS AWESOME. The shifter is SOOO NICE!!!! ACK! I'm getting excited.
Comments

1998 FORD Contour SVT * 2 Photos! * * This four door vehicle features Power Steering, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Power Driver's Seat, AM/FM Stereo Radio, Trip Odometer, Tachometer, Air Conditioning, Tilt Steering Wheel, and Cruise Control.

_Options Installed

Power Steering; Power Brakes; Power Door Locks; Power Windows; Alloy Wheels; Clock; Trip Odometer; Tachometer; Tilt Steering Wheel; Interval Wipers; Rear Defroster; Remote Trunk Lid; Driver Side Airbag; Console; Vanity Mirror; Day-Night Lever; Dual Sport Mirrors; Front Bucket Seats; Reclining Seats; Accent Stripes; Body Side Moldings; Power Drivers Seat; Sport Steering Wheel; Courtesy Lights; Leather Upholstery; Keyless Entry; CD Player; Anti-Lock Breaking System; Passenger Side Airbag; AM-FM Stereo Radio; Privacy Glass;

- Ca$h

jagga
Senior User
May 5, 2003, 04:14 PM

how about a mitsubishi galant? I am getting a 2002 for about $12k with about 15k miles on it. I think that is a pretty sweet deal. I think the new ones can be had for $15k with factory rebates and stuff. Give it a look see

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 05:04 PM

A Chevy Blazer, stripped down, are pretty cheap, or a nicely equipped one used. Decent room, strong motor, or get a truck, like an S10 or a Ranger or something, ah hell, everyone has a different opinion, put your SO in a few rigs and let them decide.

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 5, 2003, 06:52 PM

My brother just got a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo with every option available except Sunroof and Leather seats for $14K.

And I mean every option. This thing is decked-out. Very nice car.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2003, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by jagga:
how about a mitsubishi galant? I am getting a 2002 for about $12k with about 15k miles on it. I think that is a pretty sweet deal. I think the new ones can be had for $15k with factory rebates and stuff. Give it a look see
The Galant is sweet... I drove the 2003 model once..Oh wait.. the 2004 completely re-design Galant is coming.

imaxxedout69
Banned
May 5, 2003, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
My brother just got a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo with every option available except Sunroof and Leather seats for $14K.

And I mean every option. This thing is decked-out. Very nice car.
Very UGLY car.

I could go into why I think it's one of the ugliest cars made if you'd like.

- Ca$h

PS: IT's more than ugly, it pisses me off when I see one.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2003, 08:30 PM

says the man with the SVX

personally i think you should look at used cars more then somthing new. mainly for the depreciation value of the car, what is somthing like 2 grand for just driving it off the lot. Also you will then notice every little scractch ding and dent on the car, but if it already has a few then meah less to worry about.

just my thoughts

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

imaxxedout69
Banned
May 5, 2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
Damn straight. Ital design baby.

- Ca$h

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2003, 08:42 PM

Edmunds.com picked the Hyundai Elantra as "best sedan under $15K" 2 years in a row now.

Honorable mentions on their list goes to Ford Focus ZX3, Mazda Protege and Nissan Sentra.

Personally, I would never buy a Chrylser. They have, by far, the most cars on Consumer Reports "do not buy" list year after year.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by imaxxedout69:
Very UGLY car.

- Ca$h

OMG I actually have to agree, that thing is HIDEOUS!!

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Edmunds.com picked the Hyundai Elantra as "best sedan under $15K" 2 years in a row now.

Honorable mentions on their list goes to Ford Focus ZX3, Mazda Protege and Nissan Sentra.

Personally, I would never buy a Chrylser. They have, by far, the most cars on Consumer Reports "do not buy" list year after year.
The Focus has been recalled more than 10 times. !!! Not even for one part... suspension, airbags, seats, everything... And yes, that's pretty much a world record.

mindwaves
May 5, 2003, 08:48 PM

Chrylser PT Cruiser

imaxxedout69
Banned
May 5, 2003, 08:48 PM

I don't see anything wrong with recalls. What's worse is when they DONT do recalls, like VW did with the window regulators and the something on the 1.8T engine (fuel pump?).

Recalls= good because the marque is fixing stuff for free.

No recalls= bad.

- Ca$h

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 09:43 PM

I don't see anything wrong with recalls. What's worse is when they DONT do recalls, like VW did with the window regulators and the something on the 1.8T engine (fuel pump?).

No recalls= bad.

- Ca$h
I guess but who wants to wait at the dealer 10 times?

I think that most of the recalls weren't voluntary either, NHTSA took the whole randomly deploying airbag thing pretty seriously.

The window regulator thing does suck, but VWoA is doing a voluntary recall on the 1.8T's coilpacks and is giving everyone a free rental that comes in, regardless of warranty status.

imaxxedout69
Banned
May 5, 2003, 09:47 PM

Fun car suggestions, that are still reliable and have 4 doors, power windows, locks, etc.

#1 The Ford Contour SVT. Kickass car. Drives like a BMW, has Recaro leather seats, dependable, 200hp, incredible suspension, looks, tons of luxury options (power seats, sunroof, power mirrors, power locks, windows, keyless entry, and more.

Here are some reviews: (as you can see, nothing but praise)

http://cartalk.cars.com/Info/Testdri...-svt-1998.html

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...5/article.html

http://www.theautochannel.com/conten...o09019703.html

Here's a link to help you find one:
http://www.candsnet.com/Ford_Car/Ford_Contour_SVT.htm

I STRONGLY urge you to test drive one of these before purchasing that stratus... the contour is the same size, equally reliable, and a lot more fun. There's even a Contour SVT club you can join at www.contour.org.

Anyway, this is the car I'd get if I had 8 grand and wanted a 4 door. ITS AWESOME. The shifter is SOOO NICE!!!! ACK! I'm getting excited.
Comments

1998 FORD Contour SVT * 2 Photos! * * This four door vehicle features Power Steering, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Power Driver's Seat, AM/FM Stereo Radio, Trip Odometer, Tachometer, Air Conditioning, Tilt Steering Wheel, and Cruise Control.

_Options Installed

Power Steering; Power Brakes; Power Door Locks; Power Windows; Alloy Wheels; Clock; Trip Odometer; Tachometer; Tilt Steering Wheel; Interval Wipers; Rear Defroster; Remote Trunk Lid; Driver Side Airbag; Console; Vanity Mirror; Day-Night Lever; Dual Sport Mirrors; Front Bucket Seats; Reclining Seats; Accent Stripes; Body Side Moldings; Power Drivers Seat; Sport Steering Wheel; Courtesy Lights; Leather Upholstery; Keyless Entry; CD Player; Anti-Lock Breaking System; Passenger Side Airbag; AM-FM Stereo Radio; Privacy Glass;

- Ca$h

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
. . . VWoA is doing a voluntary recall on the 1.8T's coilpacks and is giving everyone a free rental that comes in, regardless of warranty status.
Yeah, but they dragged their feet on it until the pressure got to be too much to bear, including the threat of a forced recall.

It wouldn't have mattered much, since they couldn't get a fast-enough supply of coils, but they didn't do most of the owners any favors until the pressure mounted. I'm not trying to bash VW - I own one - but neither do I think they deserve any special credit in this case.

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 10:03 PM

No recalls= bad.

- Ca$h
Well VW did not do a recall on the window regulators but they still fixed the thing for free (out of warranty).
The Golf is just a pleasure to drive, but I have to admit that the reliability is a little short of what I expected (electronics mostly, the 2.0L engine will run forever).

villa.

Truepop
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 10:11 PM

I also vote Jetta.

My friend was looking for one and it looks great.

I personally would buy used.

danielb0101
May 5, 2003, 11:59 PM

I like both of those hyundais.

Anyway, AVOID VWs and AUDIS. They are unreliable cars, and cost quite a bit to get fixed.

- Ca$h
I own a '99 VW Jetta with 50k miles. The only time it's been in the shop is for oil/brakes/tires. A one light bulb went out.

My friends 97 Jetta has 100k miles, never been in the shop, either.

Audi A4's are beautiful, awesome cars.

VW and Audi don't have the problems that plagued them in the 80's.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2003, 12:06 AM

Recalls =

Typical American cars... esp. FORD.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 6, 2003, 12:07 AM

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Originally posted by G4ME:

Kilbey
Baninated
May 6, 2003, 12:14 AM

I was looking at the Saturn Vues, and I think they are a great under $20k new SUV/car. Nice milage with Saturn's reliability.

However, there are quite a few nice used cars to be had for under $20k. I'd look for something with a Buick 3800 engine. Pontiac Bonneville, Buick Regal, Monte Carlo, Buick LeSabre, Buick Park Avenue, even a few Camaros... VERY reliable engine. I used to work at Buick engineering for a few years and we had quite a few test engines with over 2,000,000 miles on them. If an engine failed with less than 200,000 miles we discected it and determined what happened. But that was rare. Lots of power and EXTREMELY relaible.

Please help me out

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2003, 12:37 AM

a jetta or an A4.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 12:58 AM

dodge SRT-4
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by capuchin:
Mini Cooper.

CVT model w/a few extras - $18,750

Yeah, I know, but if ca$h is going to push his vehicle of choice, I'm bound to push mine...

nice looking car-but underpowered without the turbo and too expensive with it. Also, ridiculous that you have to buy navigation system to get the speedometer behind the steering wheel where it belongs.
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

RGB
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by nvaughan3:
nice looking car-but underpowered without the turbo and too expensive with it. Also, ridiculous that you have to buy navigation system to get the speedometer behind the steering wheel where it belongs.
The supercharged MINI Cooper S for just under $20k without any additional options is still a great deal. You get a LOT of comfort and performance for your cash. Also, I happen to like having the speedo in the center. The MINI Cooper S is made for hard sport driving, so this puts the tach right up front, showing its importance

If I had more money to spend on a car, I'd surely be driving a MINI Cooper S right now instead of my Elantra GT. Don't get me wrong, my Elantra is a great, reliable, practical, comfortable car, but the Cooper S is just so much faster!

The Elantra does handle twisty roads exceptionally well though. And I had absolutely no comfort problems in it on my 8 hour each way road trip a month ago.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 01:21 AM

Cmon, you gotta spend $1250 just to get cruise control. With the SRT-4 out 160hp out of a 4 banger is antiquated. Good god would I love to have the car but even with the turbo performance is not where it should be for 20K.

Either way I'm either going for the cooper S or the Dodge SRT-4 after my 92 civic finally craps (anytime now....) but the relatively high price of the cooper puts me off.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 6, 2003, 01:24 AM

I would like the SRT-4 a lot more if it had a coupe option.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 01:31 AM

or a sunroof option.

RGB
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by nvaughan3:
Cmon, you gotta spend $1250 just to get cruise control. With the SRT-4 out 160hp out of a 4 banger is antiquated. Good god would I love to have the car but even with the turbo performance is not where it should be for 20K.

Either way I'm either going for the cooper S or the Dodge SRT-4 after my 92 civic finally craps (anytime now....) but the relatively high price of the cooper puts me off.
As far as price / performance goes, the SRT-4 is the first car to really beat the Cooper S. Look at the other factory tuned options at around 20k:

Ford Focus SVT
Civic Si
Cavalier LS Sport
MazdaSpeed Protege
Nissan Sentra Spec V-R
etc

Not a single one of them will beat the Cooper S from 0 - 60. The only car in that range that will is one of the Golf GTI models. The cheaper golfs are slow as hell though, using the 115hp engine. I'd be driving a base golf if it weren't such a slow driver. I realize that 0-60 times isn't everything, but it's also hard to argue with the go-kart like handling of the Cooper S that takes on Ferraris. Only the MazdaSpeed will handle better in that range.

The SRT-4 changes things a bit. The performance is heads over heals better than the rest of the pack. But the cabin is still derived from a Neon, and isn't that plush to sit in. My favorite aspect of the Cooper S is its interior. Comfortable seats, cool console, nice materials, etc.

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 08:46 AM

I purchased my car last year at Carmax. Good price for an "almost new" car. Certified, warranty, etc., etc.
I personally hate to pay for the depreciation of the first year.
With the money you have you'll get a better car with few miles. Already tested.
I always lease new and buy used.
There is no spoon

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 6, 2003, 10:56 AM

Very UGLY car.

- Ca$h

Hmph. Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I think they're cool, personally.

To each his own, I s'pose.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 11:37 AM

OK,

My preference would be a VW Beattle (low-end convertible price is in the $20,000!!!) or a new Mini.

For the cheapest option I would go for the ford Focus. I love it in navy blue and 5 doors. It is a good package.

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 11:56 AM

Very UGLY car.

- Ca$h

Yes, it is ugly, but the UGLIEST EVER is the Toyota ECHO. It's a visual offense.
There is no spoon

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by designbc:
Yes, it is ugly, but the UGLIEST EVER is the Toyota ECHO. It's a visual offense.
You forgot about the Asstec, I mean Aztec.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Forum Links
Forum Rules