Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Permissions in Unix

Permissions in Unix
drink5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2002, 04:07 PM

I'm trying to delete a .jpg file under my Pictures folder, and it won't allow me in Mac OS X. I go into Unix with Root enabled, and try and delete, and it still won't allow me. I look at the file owner and permissions, and it says the owner is "unknown", and not even Root can remove it. What is that about, I thought Root could delete anything? I even tried modifying the permissions to the file, but didn't work. What can I do to remove this file if the owner is "unknown" Thanks for you help...

drink5

tinrib
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2002, 04:22 PM

is it locked? i.e. in the usual mac way - get info and click the 'locked' check box...
[/LIST]

drink5  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2002, 04:25 PM

You know what? That's funny, it was locked. I was thinking to technical I guess. But it still doesn't make sense as to why the owner is "unknown" . Anyway, thanks for your help, feel retarded now...haha. Thanks again...

drink5

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 21, 2002, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by drink5:
<STRONG>You know what? That's funny, it was locked. I was thinking to technical I guess. But it still doesn't make sense as to why the owner is "unknown" . Anyway, thanks for your help, feel retarded now...haha. Thanks again...

drink5</STRONG>
Did you download the file or created it? Sometimes downloaded stuff for some reason lists "unknown" as the owner.

beamso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
<STRONG>

Did you download the file or created it? Sometimes downloaded stuff for some reason lists "unknown" as the owner.</STRONG>
That's because the OS was able to identify a UID that the file was created by. Maybe the original poster should attempt to change the owner, or change the permissions on the file.

Forum Links
Forum Rules