Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 seems slower

9.1 seems slower
SDW2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 01:29 PM

I installed the download version of 9.1 and now my double clicking seems to be delayed...as well as app start up time. I could not get the intall to perform completely...."some" components were not installed. It works, but ow seems slow. in any case, I have already ordered 256MB or Ram to upgrade my pismo 500 form 128 to 384. That may help? I was going to do that anyway but maybe it will compensate. I of course wanted more RAM before march 24 when I will need it!

------------------
SDW2000 is from the
Appleinsider
community.
SDW2000 is from the
Appleinsider
community.

Randycat2001
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2001, 01:48 PM

Have you rebuilt your desktop, ran a disk scan, and defrag your HD after the installation? Also consider starting with a clean, empty Preferences folder and only move over Preferences from your old OS folder for specific Applications or settings that you wish to keep. The more Preferences you regenerate from scratch, the better off you will probably be.
What's the deal with Star Wars severed limbs?

huggs2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2001, 04:19 PM

had similar problems when i went up to 9.1 i noticed it was relatively
slow, untill i zapped the pram and now it flys also very fast start up.
hope this helps.

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2001, 06:10 PM

Yes, I do agree that PS 9.1 was a bit slower. I hear that OS 9.1 uses less memory than previous versions. I did a clean install and all, but I think I just have alot of extensions as my finder consumes between 78 to 95mb's of ram with 6 high end apps open, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Anyway, I bought 256mb's of excellent ram from crucial technology for $110.00!!!! I am buying another 256 mb's in a minute! Now it is much faster and I Do think that the memery issues are abou the same as 9.0.4...

[This message has been edited by zoopsia215 (edited 02-01-2001).]

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2001, 08:41 PM

I did a few (actually 3) quick benchmarks using System Info (comes with Norton Utilities).

The scores can be seen by clicking on this URL: http://www.makki.is/newsmyndir/konnun.gif

Conclusion: Mac OS 9.0.4 was faster in CPU and FPU, but 9.1 was way waster in Video. I tried to eliminate all variables by having the exact same extension sets (only versions differ) and all settings the same.

I had to switch back to 9.0.4 due to incompatibility with certain programs.

Heimir.

-Updated Fixed link -oscar

[This message has been edited by oscar (edited 02-01-2001).]

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2001, 08:45 PM

Also, booting up took approximately 10 seconds longer in 9.1 than it did in 9.0.4 - on a 400 MHz Pismo A.

Sorry for this double-post.

Heimir.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2001, 12:51 AM

try disabling your memory check on boot, hold command-option when opening the memory control panel. Also, make sure that Mount PC disks in File Exchange is turn off. That will save you at least 10 seconds on boot.

iBookmaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2001, 10:04 AM

I would say try doing a clean install from your Mac OS 9 CD and updating it to 9.1. One thing I have noticed with 9.1 is virtual memory finallly seems to run about as fast as with VM off. I am using 9.1 on 5 different Macs all with VM on and working extemely well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules