Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > freelance opportunity...am i getting screwed?

freelance opportunity...am i getting screwed?
D3SIGN3R
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 01:57 PM

i'm a freelance designer from columbus, ohio with 2 years experience in the field. i recently started working through a creative staffing agency and they offered me a project this week. i want to know if it is worth taking on! i was told i'd be 'revamping the store image...they are trying to upgrade their brand and in-store presentation,' but there will also be a lot of production work. this is for a larger retail chain that has stores located in 20+ states. they're only offering $20/hr because the 'company has been posting negative same store sales for quarter after quarter, the budgets get tight.' i'd be working from their office, using their machines. i've cut plenty of grass, if you know what i mean, in the last 2 years trying to find my way into a creative position. the opportunity to be creative and help pull this retailer out of the hole is appealing to me---however, $20/hr is very chintzy compared to what the going freelance rate is. if i pass on this opportunity, i know they'll find some dill-wipe to take my place. one would think this retailer would want to put more money and trust into their branding---they'll get what they pay for! so would i be getting screwed---is it worth it?

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 02:02 PM

If you look at it as something to boost your resume, then you should consider it.

If you have other opportunities and don't think it's worth your time or effort, then pass. It sounds as if they're trying to go on the cheap but that's all they may be able to pay.
The most important thing to ask yourself is how the job will help you in the long if the pay isn't great in the short run. And will it keep you from landing a better job while you work on it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Macola
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 10:23 PM

Do you expect to get more work from this client down the road? If so, it will be hard to justify raising your rates in the future. Once you underbid, you're likely to be stuck at that level for a while.

Unless you really, really need the work, I'd say it's not worth it.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

art_director
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 08:18 AM

Let's get this straight, they're paying more than $20 / hour. Your "creative" staffing agency is pocketing the difference. I hate staffing agencies and refuse to even talk to them. They're thieves.

This gig sounds like a big project and may well take you out of the consideration pool for an extended period of time. That's something else to consider. It will likely be a few months long which would be nice for the pocket but you'll miss the bandwagon for holiday season work with other clients -- that's right around the corner. On the other hand, this retailer may well ask you to stay on for their holiday efforts. It's a gamble from a time / work management perspective.

Finally, I would wonder, given your experience level, if you would learn from this place or if you'd be better off holding out for another gig. Only you can guage that decision.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2005, 11:34 AM

Hi D3SIGN3R,

The only way you get scewed is if they don't pay you. As "art_director" eluded, the staffing agency marks up your hourly rate. My guess your $20/hr is at least $40/hr to the client. Having 2 years in the field most likely categorizes you as a "junior graphic designer". Sorry, I don't mean it to sound offensive if it is, but that's the way it is. BTW, here in the metro NY/Phila corridor, staffing agencies offer senior art director and creative director stints at $40/hr. Indeed, they are thieves.

Determine if this stint will give you any worthwhile experience and exposure that you can parley into your next assignment. Good luck!

W2

D3SIGN3R  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 02:00 PM

i appreciate everyone's advice. i try to learn something new with every offer i take. i doubt i will learn anything new with this retailer, and i'm certain my creative capacity will be impeded by their so called 'creative director.' i'm looking to get further ahead in the field, and i can't see this opportunity doing this for me. i am at no obligation to stay on this project for any length of time; i'm there at will. leaving wouldn't be a problem, just a one week notice. i wonder if it's even worth trying it out for a week or two?

i'm not keen on staffing agencies either, but columbus is a tough market right now; a lot of designers are turning to these places for work. i guess i just needed to hear i'm not insane for passing up a paycheck. thank you again.

Originally Posted by art_director
Let's get this straight, they're paying more than $20 / hour. Your "creative" staffing agency is pocketing the difference. I hate staffing agencies and refuse to even talk to them. They're thieves.

This gig sounds like a big project and may well take you out of the consideration pool for an extended period of time. That's something else to consider. It will likely be a few months long which would be nice for the pocket but you'll miss the bandwagon for holiday season work with other clients -- that's right around the corner. On the other hand, this retailer may well ask you to stay on for their holiday efforts. It's a gamble from a time / work management perspective.

Finally, I would wonder, given your experience level, if you would learn from this place or if you'd be better off holding out for another gig. Only you can guage that decision.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
May 28, 2005, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by D3SIGN3R
i appreciate everyone's advice. i try to learn something new with every offer i take. i doubt i will learn anything new with this retailer, and i'm certain my creative capacity will be impeded by their so called 'creative director.' i'm looking to get further ahead in the field, and i can't see this opportunity doing this for me. i am at no obligation to stay on this project for any length of time; i'm there at will. leaving wouldn't be a problem, just a one week notice. i wonder if it's even worth trying it out for a week or two?

i'm not keen on staffing agencies either, but columbus is a tough market right now; a lot of designers are turning to these places for work. i guess i just needed to hear i'm not insane for passing up a paycheck. thank you again.
As inexperienced as you are I think you will be surprised by what you think you know. I thought I knew alot, 3 years out of college, but laugh at myself now. Take the job and learn. Believe me - you will learn. If you pass it up- you are just furthering yourself from becoming a great designer. Unless, you start as a creative director or owner, you will be "impeded" for quite a while. get over yourself and take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way- unless you WANT to keep mowing lawns....

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 29, 2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by D3SIGN3R

Take the gig and stick through it. This opportunity is more than a paycheck or portfolio piece. If you do well and the branding is successful, it can provide useful contacts, a good bullet point on your CV, and a professional reference.

As has been said, you can pass this and cut lawns, but cutting lawns doesn't look impressive on your CV, either.

In this economy, especially in the Midwest, now is not the time to be choosy.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

art_director
Professional Poster
May 29, 2005, 10:22 AM

A sober warning : Don't take a job for sake of taking a job and gaining experience. Hold out for the job that's right for you. If you want to be in the ad agency world it's more difficult to do from the client side. But, if you want to work for an in-house shop, then this might be the position you're looking for.

D3SIGN3R  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB
Take the gig and stick through it. This opportunity is more than a paycheck or portfolio piece. If you do well and the branding is successful, it can provide useful contacts, a good bullet point on your CV, and a professional reference.

As has been said, you can pass this and cut lawns, but cutting lawns doesn't look impressive on your CV, either.

In this economy, especially in the Midwest, now is not the time to be choosy.

i wouldn't be passing this up to 'cut lawns'....there is a lot of production work involved in the project, that's why i said i wouldn't be learning anything. anyway, i turned them down last week. good thing too, i received a better offer today!

Forum Links
Forum Rules