Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Pole Talk

Pole Talk
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2012, 01:59 AM

Is silly innuendo a no go?

I'm telling the truth BTW. I have a flag pole holder outside my apartment I've never used, I got a nice big American flag (with sewn stars and stripes), was all excited to put it up, and find it's a 3/4" diameter socket, and I have a 1" diameter pole.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 4, 2012 at 04:02 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2012, 02:07 AM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2012, 11:07 AM

Question: is it ok to mount a US flag on a stripper pole ?

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2012, 11:13 AM

Sure, but you have to burn it afterwards

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2012, 11:15 AM

Fun flag fact:

In Japan, it's legal to desecrate the Japanese flag, but it's illegal to desecrate the flag of other countries.

At least, someone told me that, I don't know if it's a fake fact.

P
Jul 4, 2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Fun flag fact:

In Japan, it's legal to desecrate the Japanese flag, but it's illegal to desecrate the flag of other countries.

At least, someone told me that, I don't know if it's a fake fact.
In effect that is the case in many countries, including Sweden. Burning your own flag (or whatever you do with it) is a valid form of protest, freedom of expression and all that, and is only illegal if you're endangering someone by doing so (burning that flag at a gas station or something stupid like that). Burning the flag of someone else can be seen as "instigating (violence) against a group of people" as the Swedish legal term is, and may for that reason be illegal - if someone burns the flag of one state, that might be seen as instigating violence against people from that state. The only case I'm aware of was when some activists burned the Israeli flag at some event where there would be many israelis. The first time noone really bothered, but when they repeated this at a later date, it was found to be criminal harassment and the activists in question were fined a smaller amount.

Obviously this isn't something that comes up often, so I guess the case law isn't all that well defined. The one thing that is illegal to do is modifying the Swedish flag somehow by adding symbols or letters, and there are dozens of flags with slogans on them at every major sporting event where the national team plays. Noone ever cares.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 4, 2012, 09:28 PM

The thread was locked when it stopped being innuendo, that's all. I personally feel that if everyone sticks to the spirit of the silliness, then such threads can go on for as long as they can. However, it was obvious that the later posters were getting away from the silly and going to the sophomoric, and it just stopped being funny.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2012, 10:21 PM

In before Besson. :-/

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2012, 11:50 PM

Non-sophomoric silliness, roger that.

Does this qualify?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2012, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The thread was locked when it stopped being innuendo, that's all. I personally feel that if everyone sticks to the spirit of the silliness, then such threads can go on for as long as they can. However, it was obvious that the later posters were getting away from the silly and going to the sophomoric, and it just stopped being funny.
I'm completely with you, however, wouldn't a specific admonition to the user in question be more useful?

Just locking the thread:

1) Ruined everybody's fun because of one person.
2) Gave no indication to the people who were behaving that they handn't made a mistake
3) Gave no indication to the person who caused the problem that it was a problem (this is a biggie, assuming you want people to behave.)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2012, 01:13 AM

ghporter: Just tell me to cut it out next time, and I will.

I think I'm generally pretty obedient, although I don't do what Turtle777 tells me to do (sometimes he PMs me and tells me to send pictures of my pole). Was that sophomoric or silly? Maybe I'll just play it safe and avoid talking about my pole (penis) from here on out.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2012, 01:45 AM

The thing is, I'd say everybody in that thread is obedient, at least in this context.

There's probably more than 100,000 posts between everyone. These are people who have shown a desire to stick around, and one would presume realize flaunting moderator directives is not the way to do that.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2012, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
ghporter: Just tell me to cut it out next time, and I will.

I think I'm generally pretty obedient, although I don't do what Turtle777 tells me to do (sometimes he PMs me and tells me to send pictures of my pole). Was that sophomoric or silly? Maybe I'll just play it safe and avoid talking about my pole (penis) from here on out.
IANAM, but I think mentioning penis is on a different level that mentioning your penis is so big it won't fit comfortably up someone's ass.

Maybe that's just me though.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 5, 2012, 07:12 AM

besson, your silliness was not what I think of as the tipping point. You were not the one who posted explicitly, nor was your posting even a major contributor. I'd have let you know if I'd thought you were being a problem - haven't I done so in the past? Others, however, have been less cooperative about how they post, and at the same time have posted less appropriately. It wasn't you, and thank you for being as cooperative and (while silly and a bit off the wall) as appropriate as you have been, in particular in the thread in question.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

IANAM, but I think mentioning penis is on a different level that mentioning your penis is so big it won't fit comfortably up someone's ass.

Maybe that's just me though.
Yeah, even I don't get into shoving penises up asses.

I'm cool with discussion about shoving other things up there though, like blueberry pie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules