Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Repair, Replacement, or Full Refund?

Repair, Replacement, or Full Refund?
ProLyfic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 03:33 AM

I wanted to start a thread to see what people would like to see Apple do with the troublesome 15 AL. Please post your answer to the topic question.

Note: Assuming that there is a fix that WORKS for the troubles, which would you like to happen? Meaning no more sending it back more than once.

Zatt
Nov 1, 2003, 07:09 AM

I'd personally like to see the 15" PB fixed so that it can stay in the PB lineup. I just bought the 15", despite all of the problems that it seems to have. I have faith that Apple will fix the problem within the year and that if mine develops problems, it will be fixed. The 17" PB, as cool as that thing is, is too large for me and the 12" PB didn't have all of the features that I wanted.

Apple will fix the problem. They don't want to loose their loyal fans.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 09:06 AM

Look, I�m sure that there are far more 15 inchers that work perfectly that it seems by looking in this forum. This is a troubleshooting forum so there are bound to be many here with probs, but don�t abandon the 15 so quickly. Mine works like a charm!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

machem
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
Look, I�m sure that there are far more 15 inchers that work perfectly that it seems by looking in this forum. This is a troubleshooting forum so there are bound to be many here with probs, but don�t abandon the 15 so quickly. Mine works like a charm!
Countering that, we have the 'unenlightened masses' who don't know about or use these (or any other) forums, and so don't know or don't know what to do about it. Unless Apple publishes numbers (hahahahahah HA HA HA!) we will never know. I'm glad that yours is fine.

Replacement.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

sjake2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 01:54 PM

I think the white spot issue is far more widespread than you might think. I got em.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 02:17 PM

Oh, I have white spots. One or two that come and go, I�m just saying...

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 1, 2003, 02:22 PM

"The squeaky wheel gets the oil."

What percentage of buyers of these machines actually have problems? Those of us whose new PowerBooks are perfect don't generally start (multiple) threads about it, so a forum is a very, very biased source of info.

Mine's perfect, so I need neither repair, replacement nor refund.

tooki

Waveman
Nov 1, 2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by ProLyfic:
I wanted to start a thread to see what people would like to see Apple do with the troublesome 15 AL. Please post your answer to the topic question.

Note: Assuming that there is a fix that WORKS for the troubles, which would you like to happen? Meaning no more sending it back more than once.
Here's what I'd like to see Apple do:

1. Issue a statement on their Web site saying that they're either still investigating the white spot problem and will make an announcement when it is found or that they already have a definitive fix. (The same applies to other problems.)

2. Promise to repair affected PowerBooks within a reasonable time (say, less than 3 days).

The sooner Apple does this, the sooner they'll regain credibility. IMO, this rivals the problem with PowerBook 5300's catching on fire, which was certainly more serious but far less prevalent. The 5300 never recovered from that mess and was tainted for the remainder of its life.

If Apple doesn't act quickly, the 15" Aluminum PB will forever be known as the model with the white spots.

ProLyfic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 09:24 PM

I did not mention what I wanted Apple to do in the first post. I would to see Apple offer Ful Refunds or an Exchange Program for those that bought the 15 AL Powerbooks from a certain date to a certain date. Such as the date when the Powerbooks were available until whenever Apple stopped producing the probmatic 15 AL. This would be open to all customers in this time frame with a valid receipt. So those that want their money back can do so, those that want to make an exchange for like a 12 or 17 could. Man this would save this whole mess. Since Apple and other people on this board and other boards feel that it is such a small portion of the 15s, then Apple is actually saving money this way. Please Mr. Steve Jobs, consider this solution.

Forum Links
Forum Rules