Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > where to get replacement superdrive in my dual 2.7 g5?

where to get replacement superdrive in my dual 2.7 g5?
nycdunz
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 01:19 AM

I'm not sure if its my burner, but it seems to be acting up lately when I burn. I've been using the same media for a long time now. Verbatim DVD+R 16x... and have no problems until recently. Randomly at the end of the burning process where it starts writing the lead out, it seems to go on forever and gets stuck, I abort it, but it can't even attempt to stop it, So my only choice is to force quit toast and restart my machine. Sigh, I would say maybe 2 out of every 5 burns I get this. Anyone else with similar issues that maybe can tell me exactly what the problem is. But as of now, I'm really thinking its the superdrive itself, and if so where can I get an exact replacement?

pantie sniffer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2007, 05:52 AM

I have the same powermac(G5 2.7 Dual) and had the same problem as you a couple of months back, it definetly sounds as though your superdrive is f*cked! Just get yourself a pioneer DVR-112D drive, very easy to get hold of and they are only about £25 or so, if your in the U.S then probably even cheaper than that. Do a google and ye shall find!
North London's premier Windowlicker!

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 12:34 PM

will that model work perfectly with my mac though? and also is there a specific one that i need to get for my g5? because i notice that the driev tray is black, and the ones i've seen online are like beige... please let me know. I really need to get this problem fixed ASAP. thanks!

pantie sniffer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2007, 01:47 PM

the drive will run fine. Once installed just download and run this bit of software called patchburn Patchburn Homepage and everything will be fine. As for the colour just specify you want it in black there are plenty of places that do it in that colour.Here is one link for you Pioneer DVR-112D-BK [Black Bezel] 'SuperDr... (DVR-112D-BK) at OWC

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 02:28 PM

whats the patch thing for? is it necessary? and thanks so much for those links... very helpful

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 02:43 PM

No, it's not necessary for that drive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 02:53 PM

so that drive will still function fine with itunes, idvd, imovie, dvd studio pro, etc w/o the patch correct?

what i want to know what is that patch really for if i don't need it then? sorta confused.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 03:29 PM

Patch Burn is only necessary for really new drives that don't have Apple drivers yet. I just got the 112-D in my DP 2.0 G5 and it's a great drive. The only difference between it and my original drive is that it's substantially faster. That's the drive to get, trust me.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

pantie sniffer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2007, 03:31 PM

all i know is i bought the drive, installed it, ran patchburn and everything works.Thats all i can tell you dude

pantie sniffer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2007, 03:36 PM

yep, it is really fast and reliable....defo the one to get!

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 24, 2007, 01:43 AM

ok i need help, how on earth do you remove the faceplate off the dvd drive? im afraid i might break something, is there instructions on how to do this?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2007, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by nycdunz View Post
ok i need help, how on earth do you remove the faceplate off the dvd drive? im afraid i might break something, is there instructions on how to do this?
Usually, you pop the draw out, turn the drive upside down, look at where the faceplate goes, there are usually some clips holding it on. Pull the faceplate out at the top (you have the drive upside down, so the side closest to you which I'm calling the top) and then slide it off downwards.

Dawgs2010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 09:31 PM

PB2K
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2007, 06:41 AM

Is a drive for the G5 ATA or SATA ? I have a NEC duallayer from a G4 which i want to give to a friend with G5
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2007, 12:30 PM

It's ATA

Forum Links
Forum Rules