Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > hacking leopard to have video backdrops effects for PPC+Older macs

hacking leopard to have video backdrops effects for PPC+Older macs
nycdunz
Senior User
Oct 28, 2007, 11:00 PM

i'm pretty sure there is a way to do this, if anyone knows or have any idea on how to do this please feel free to share them here.

I would love to try those video backdrops out. I'm sure my dual 2.7 g5 can handle them just fine...

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 03:36 PM

What are you talking about by "backdrop effects"?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 03:47 PM

I think he means the video backdrops you can have in iChat.
They don't show up on my G4

Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 04:49 PM

You need an Intel processor. I don't think it's because G5s aren't fast enough, just because there is some component in the Intel chips that the backdrops are designed for (sorry, I know that was really vague.)

ray_uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 06:12 PM

It is not the case that G4 or G5 CPU's are insufficient, several users on the macrumors forums have managed to get some of the older developer builds to work with the retail release of Leopard / 10.5 on G4 and G5 cpu's, a user on that forum had shared it on the torrent network and was going to upload it to rapidshare however he was told not to by the administrators, regretably the torrent gets stuck at 12%.

It really sucks being deprived of features that we payed for, this is one of those situations where apple is trying to get people to upgrade to gain features they should rightfully have the ability to use on their current hardware, regardless if it runs slow or not they should have given us the choice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules