Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2.5ghz MBP vs 2.6ghz, worth the $250 upgrade?

2.5ghz MBP vs 2.6ghz, worth the $250 upgrade?
nycdunz
Senior User
Jun 15, 2008, 05:18 PM

Was wondering if i should drop the $250 to upgrade to the 2.6ghz model of the MBP. Will I notice a difference in speed and performance? What do you guys think?

I will mainly be using this computer for work. Adobe Creative suite and Aperture is what I will be mainly be using this computer for.

Cold Warrior
Jun 15, 2008, 05:22 PM

A 100 MHz difference won't matter. RAM and hard drive speed matter more than 100 MHz. If you use external drives, USB 2.0 and FW800 will also show a difference.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2008, 03:06 AM

If your work is clearly CPU-limited it might be worth it. OTOH if it were, you'd know it.

If you're just wondering about everyday perceived speed, you will be disappointed. In things like Safari, Mail, or Office you won't notice the difference. It would make more sense to spend that money on more RAM (don't get les than 4GB) and/or a faster disk. If you use external disks make sure to go with FW800 (built in) or eSATA (requires an Express/34 card).

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 03:34 AM

Absolutely not worth it. I generally advise people to get the lowest end CPU they can and max out everything else. Processors these days are so powerful that even the "slow" ones are crazy fast, and you're unlikely to run into a situation where an extra 10 or 20% on the CPU will actually help.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 07:10 AM

I go with the most cpu, that my budget can support. After all, applications will not be getting faster in the future.
The 2.6Ghz has more ram, more vram, larger hard drive, and a faster CPU

Only you can decide if its worth the $$ but since the MBP's hard drive is not considered user replaceable, and you cannot add on vram or bump up the cpu after you buy it. I think for a mere 250, you get a lot of bang for your buck. Especially when you consider how cpu bound the CS3 apps are. Aperture is more GPU constrained and if your running two monitors then the extra vram will certainly help

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
The 2.6Ghz has more ram, more vram, larger hard drive, and a faster CPU
No it doesn't. Those things come with the 2.5 vs. 2.4, but the 2.6 GHz CPU is a simple BTO upgrade of the 2.5 GHz model. The $250 buys you nothing more than 100 MHz.

Forum Links
Forum Rules