Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Interesting note from Griffin about 3G iPod iTrip

Interesting note from Griffin about 3G iPod iTrip
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 01:06 AM

So I e-mailed Griffin about the iTrip for the 3G iPod because I am debating different car stereo setups (this is not a thread about FM Transmitters and if they suck or not). Anywho, I e-mailed them with a simple "Can you give me an estimated ship date..." blah blah blah, and Jack wrote back the following:

"Hello,

It was scheduled for release on July 21 but we have had to delay that for a
few more weeks. We look to release early October. We're sorry for the delay
- but it WILL be worth it

Jack C

Tech Support
Griffin Technology "

Now, this got me to thinking.

1. Maybe this is just a hype letter to keep people interested in the product and the company.

2. Maybe, after hearing some of the complaints about the First generation iTrip they have done something to make it somehow miraculously better?

3. Maybe the delay was because they have teamed up with Apple (remember the rumors about the iPod peripherals?) and Apple helped with the software on the iPod or something?

4. Maybe this is vaporware (sorry I'm still kinda jaded about that RealPC thing)

5. Lending credence to the "this is a stock letter" theory, Jack says "It was scheduled for release on July 21 but we have had to delay that for a few more weeks.". That doesn't sound like something you would say when October is 24 hours away. You would say something like "We're planning on releasing it early this coming month" or "Within the next two weeks." Why would you even mention the July 21st date?

Your thoughts? Have you guys gotten this letter when inquiring about it (Is it stock?)?

On a separate note, I'm trying to decide how to do my car stereo setup.

Setup A- Secure the dock below my stereo console, in the "coin tray" and run the Aux Out to the Aux in in the back of the stereo. Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth unit embedded in the stereo as well.

Setup B- Get the iTrip, and get a piece of foam and neatly carve the depth and exact image of the iPod with the iTrip attached into it and put it into my armrest console. Also do the Bluetooth thing with the Parrot CK3000 as well.

Setup A would be the best quality solution, Setup B would be the less clutter solution. It's honestly hard to decide between the two of them because I'm not an audiophile or anything, I just need the tunes to pass the drive from Thousand Oaks to Torrance in the morning.
( Last edited by iDriveX; Sep 30, 2003 at 01:14 AM. )

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 09:17 AM

It's a shame that they haven't released it yet
I was going to buy 2 of them. I have been waiting
for them to release the itrip since I bought my 3G ipod.

Now they can go f$uck themselves I'm not buying anything them!

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
On a separate note, I'm trying to decide how to do my car stereo setup.

Setup A- Secure the dock below my stereo console, in the "coin tray" and run the Aux Out to the Aux in in the back of the stereo. Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth unit embedded in the stereo as well.

Setup B- Get the iTrip, and get a piece of foam and neatly carve the depth and exact image of the iPod with the iTrip attached into it and put it into my armrest console. Also do the Bluetooth thing with the Parrot CK3000 as well.

Setup A would be the best quality solution, Setup B would be the less clutter solution. It's honestly hard to decide between the two of them because I'm not an audiophile or anything, I just need the tunes to pass the drive from Thousand Oaks to Torrance in the morning.
i am so right there with you for apple to get off their a$$ and start doing something with all the peripheral opportunities they should be leveraging! so many opportunities for these things, from itunes music hub to the ipod in the car to a lot more. what's the deal?!?!?! don't even get me started on why they haven't moved their a$$ into the corp world with os x!

ok, i am done with that

on to your next issue. i am putting an ipod in my car using the aux in and an autotoys adapter. i was hoping to get it done soon, but the adapter and a bunch of other stuff is on order for my car and i won't be able to do it for another month or two. the big reason for this is a) it's pretty easy to do; and b) it will sound waaaaaaaaay better.

damn, that's a long drive.

biscool
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 01:30 PM

Go with the aux input. The quality will be a lot better.

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2003, 01:39 PM

I have to, also, say go with the AUX in adapter. I used a 1G iTrip and was very unhappy with the quality I got with it. There was this constant high-pitched whine whenever it was in use coming thru the speakers.

Once I found out how to pull my stereo out, it was a breeze to install the AUX in adapter. So now I have a mini plug coming out of my dash and I just plug that into my ipod. Sounds great and is super convenient. So much better than carrying around a ton of cds!

-b

ollio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by aapljack:

Once I found out how to pull my stereo out, it was a breeze to install the AUX in adapter. So now I have a mini plug coming out of my dash and I just plug that into my ipod. Sounds great and is super convenient. So much better than carrying around a ton of cds!

-b
Where did you get the AUX in adapter?
Does it work on any car stereo?
Did you had to make a whole in your dashboard to get the mini plug from the back of you stereo to the front?

Thx

Forum Links
Forum Rules