Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Rick Santorum

Rick Santorum (Page 2)
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
God, as creator of time, is outside of time. Since therefore He has no beginning in time, He has always existed, so doesn't need a cause. ( the uncaused cause, the unmoved mover, etc)
so god was always there

older than millions of years...older than billions...or trillions of years...always was there

so why did he wait so long to create the earth? (6,000 years ago)

and why would an infinite being care about time?

time is limiting

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 11:54 PM

What did S/He do before the Big Bang 14 billion years ago?

Why did S/He even bother?

You never can tell with gods.

5663/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2012, 12:40 AM

What else was (s)he gonna do?

The Universe is complicated. I suspect there was a lot of planning. The maybe some revising.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
You don't see an obvious tension between the search for objective truth and faith?

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Aristotle is the worst thing to ever happen to Christianity.
wikipedia summed up Blessed John Paul the Great's encyclical Fides et Ratio (Faith and Reason) this way

The Pope posits that faith and reason are not only compatible, but essential together. Faith without reason, he argues, leads to superstition. Reason without faith, he argues, leads to nihilism and relativism.
45/47

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
What else was (s)he gonna do?
The Universe is complicated. I suspect there was a lot of planning. The maybe some revising.
but wait...christians think of god as male....

so my question is what does a god need a penis for?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 07:13 PM

For banging.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2012, 11:41 AM

For banging.
big banging?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 11:47 AM

The biggest.

You think Obama has a big stick...

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2012, 09:46 AM

More Jesuit science.
Magis Center for Reason and Faith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw2XchNNRVE&hd=1

Al 12 modules are available on YouTube as well
( Last edited by Chongo; Apr 20, 2015 at 09:14 AM. )
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2012, 09:49 AM

Does it have a dick joke? I won't watch if there's no dick joke.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2012, 09:56 AM

Does it have a dick joke? I won't watch if there's no dick joke.
Sorry, Dawkins does not make an appearance.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2012, 11:04 AM

God's wang deserves a better closer.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2012, 11:20 AM

Reason without faith, he argues, leads to nihilism and relativism.
And he'd be wrong.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2012, 02:56 PM

Please, enlighten us.
45/47

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2012, 06:37 PM

reason without faith is like breathing air

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2012, 08:21 PM

Guys, it's either more dick jokes or forty years in the desert.

God knows the next act is a chorus line of naked Israelite hotties. All seeing, remember?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
reason without faith is like breathing air
Unless you're aquatic
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2012, 09:59 PM

Not sure the "unless you're trapped underwater" analogy helps your argument.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 07:50 AM

The Soviet Union wasn't nihilistic or relativistic? China's one child policy ( and accompanying forced abortions) is good example, as are the "Killing Fields" of Kampuchea.
45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 10:49 AM

The Soviet Union wasn't nihilistic or relativistic? China's one child policy ( and accompanying forced abortions) is good example, as are the "Killing Fields" of Kampuchea.
Perhaps you should stop confusing Marxism with atheism. Can you name any mass murders caused by atheism alone? Of course not.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 11:15 AM

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people".

Karl Marx
Stalin:atheist
Mao:atheist
Pol Pot....
45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 11:59 AM

Stalin:atheist
Mao:atheist
Pol Pot....
Mussolini: Christian
Richard Nixon: Christian
Franco: Christian
Rodrigo Borgia: Christian. And a murderer, torturer, adulterer, simonizer, dictator. Oh, and the Pope. He had a lot in common with other Popes.

Einstein: atheist
Ernest Hemingway: atheist
Bruce Lee: atheist
George Orwell: atheist
Stanley Kubrick: atheist
Thomas Edison: atheist
Clarence Darrow: atheist

I can do this all day.

Can we get back to the fact that Marxism is a dangerous ideology and atheism is not?

Or that all dictatorships are murderous regimes, whether atheist or Christian?

Or the fact a person would have to be a goddamn idiot to really, actually think atheism turns people into mass murderers. And that the Vatican doesn't say that anyway, and you are shoving your own words into the mouth of the Pope himself?

I mean, the Pope said something about nihilism and relativism, and you turned it into atheist=murdering tyrant.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 12:36 PM

Mussolini: Christian Atheist
Richard Nixon: Christian
Franco: Christian
Rodrigo Borgia: Christian. And a murderer, torturer, adulterer, simonizer, dictator. Oh, and the Pope. He had a lot in common with other Popes.
Einstein: atheist
Ernest Hemingway: atheist
Bruce Lee: atheist
George Orwell: atheist
Stanley Kubrick: atheist
Thomas Edison: atheist
Clarence Darrow: atheist
I can do this all day.
Can we get back to the fact that Marxism is a dangerous ideology and atheism is not?
Or that all dictatorships are murderous regimes, whether atheist or Christian?
Or the fact a person would have to be a goddamn idiot to really, actually think atheism turns people into mass murderers. And that the Vatican doesn't say that anyway, and you are shoving your own words into the mouth of the Pope himself?
I mean, the Pope said something about nihilism and relativism, and you turned it into atheist=murdering tyrant.

Reason without faith, he argues, leads to nihilism and relativism.
You mentioned mass murder.

Can you divorce Marxism from atheism? Did Mao and Stalin value human life?

BTW, You forgot the Crusades and the Inquisition.
45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 12:57 PM

You mentioned mass murder.
No, I asked for you to name any mass murders caused by atheism alone, and you could not provide any.
Can you divorce Marxism from atheism?
No. (Or maybe, if you consider Liberation Theology, which was a mostly Catholic movement.) But you can divorce atheism from Marxism; it's a poodles-to-dogs kind of thing. Marxism is a dead ideology, but atheism is the fastest growing perspective in the West.
Did Mao and Stalin value human life?
No. Did their lack of regard for life come from their lust for power, or their atheism? If you were honest, you would admit that atheism was not the cause.
BTW, You forgot the Crusades and the Inquisition.
No one forgets them. Everyone knows what happens when any religion becomes a political power, and any society lacks freedom of religion.

EDIT: after a little Googling, I can see why I thought Mussollini was a genuine Catholic: he pretended to be Catholic a lot, and spent a lot of time sucking up to the Vatican. And he had his children baptized and he was given a Catholic funeral.

In this matter, I suspect Mussolini and Paul Ryan have a lot in common. One day, Ryan will come out of the atheism closet.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 08:20 PM

No, I asked for you to name any mass murders caused by atheism alone, and you could not provide any.
The Cristero war that resulted from President Calles of Mexico's attempt to eliminate the Catholic church in the 1920's

"¡Viva Cristo Rey!
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2012, 10:17 PM

Calles was a Marxist.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 10:49 PM

It was his atheism that led him to persecute the Church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3TXpKfqeho

( Last edited by Chongo; Apr 20, 2015 at 09:18 AM. )
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2012, 11:13 PM

And it was his Marxism which led him to believe brutal purges were acceptable.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2012, 12:56 AM

Some religious murderers commit murders which have nothing to do with their religion. Some of them kill because of their religion. Some atheists commit murders which have nothing to do with their atheism. Thats about it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2012, 06:40 AM

Some religious murderers commit murders which have nothing to do with their religion. Some of them kill because of their religion. Some atheists commit murders which have nothing to do with their atheism. Thats about it.
In the Cristero War, Calles atheism did.
45/47

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2012, 07:22 AM

Atheism ≠ Hating theism.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2012, 09:08 AM

It was his atheism that led him to persecute the Church.
That's a laughable, moronic assertion, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Christians and atheists who don't believe in freedom of religion are dangerous ideologues who must be shunned and shamed. Without freedom of religion, we are all in danger.

Calles was a tyrant and a murderer because he didn't believe in freedom of religion, not because he was an atheist. Only a moron would think otherwise.

I don't think the many murderous, tyrannical Christian depots in world history were murderous, tyrannical depots because they were Christian, but because they didn't believe in freedom of religion.

Pull your head out of your ass. Your hysterical hatred of atheists is immature and morally obscene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3TXpKfqeho[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3TXpKfqeho[/VIDEO]
Please don't link to 11+ minute videos of Mexican history when only 30 secs is relevant to your point. Or rather, irrelevant to your point, since it doesn't prove your point anyway.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2012, 09:12 AM

In Calles case it did, Catholicism in particular.
45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2012, 09:22 AM

In Calles case it did, Catholicism in particular.
Wrong, that's objectively, demonstratively false.

Simple question: If atheism can cause someone like Calles to murder, did Christianity cause anyone to murder? Do you have any examples?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2012, 10:30 AM

Wrong, that's objectively, demonstratively false.
Simple question: If atheism can cause someone like Calles to murder, did Christianity cause anyone to murder? Do you have any examples?
Tell that to Padre Vera. His crime: celebrating Mass

45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2012, 10:41 AM

Keep ducking my question. Here it is again:

If atheism can cause someone like Calles to murder, did Christianity cause anyone to murder? Do you have any examples?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2012, 11:46 AM

It sounds like you do.

BTW, You never enlightened us as to why reason without faith, does not leads to nihilism and relativism.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2012, 11:53 AM

When interviewing Dawkins recently, Bill O'Reilly gave these as reason why it allowed Calles and Stalin to order the murder of their own people.

lack of recognition of an ultimate judge of moral actions and a judge who sets injustice aright in a last judgement, and thus do not recognize the immorality of murder.
lack of seeing the importance of human beings as images of God and so easily discarding them as merely material things, products of mere chance.
lack of acknowledging an external standard of moral perfection, thus ending up with self-created standards which can include killing for political survival.
absence of guidance by divine revelation of the moral law, such as "Thou shalt not kill".
45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2012, 12:17 PM

It sounds like you do.
BTW, You never enlightened us as to why reason without faith, does not leads to nihilism and relativism.
Why should I do that? You're the one making the positive claim. How about you enlighten us about how it does?

When interviewing Dawkins recently, Bill O'Reilly gave these as reason why it was "no biggie" for Calles and Stalin to order the murder of their own people.

lack of recognition of an ultimate judge of moral actions and a judge who sets injustice aright in a last judgement, and thus do not recognize the immorality of murder.
lack of seeing the importance of human beings as images of God and so easily discarding them as merely material things, products of mere chance.
lack of acknowledging an external standard of moral perfection, thus ending up with self-created standards which can include killing for political survival.
absence of guidance by divine revelation of the moral law, such as "Thou shalt not kill".
Do you happen to recall what Dawkins said in response, or do you only remember the stuff said by people you agree with?

Anyways, here's what I think...

False. You do not need God as the ultimate moral arbiter for morality to exist. Good doesn't need God to be real.

False. I do not need to see humans as images of God to see them as having value. I see them as humans, not "merely material things, products of mere chance." These are false alternatives. I value humans as humans, my cats as cats, my friends as friends, etc. No one needs God to see value in things as they really are. In fact, seeing humans as "images of God" is seeing humans as something they really aren't.

There are at least four problems with this perspective.

One, the God of the Bible cannot be seen as "an external standard of moral perfection" because he is a moral monster who kills innocents for frivolous reasons. If there really is a God, I sure as hell hope the Bible isn't an accurate depiction of him.

Two, we don't need God as a standard of moral principles for the same reason we don't need God as a standard for scientific principles or political principles. We base these things on observation and rationality.

Three, all standards, including moral, scientific, and political are self-created and self-discovered. That's not bad, that's good!

Four, even if religion was an acceptable source of morality, it's clearly an inadequate one, given how morally debased many religions and their followers have behaved. It's pretty clear given Church history that they 1) didn't know right from wrong on issues like torture, freedom of expression, forced conversion, and 2) even if they did know, they didn't bother doing the right thing anyways, like in child molestation and the slavery of women in Magdalene laundries.

This is just restating the same thing as statement three. Besides, that's a faulty translation; the correct translation is "Do not murder." And killing is not always wrong, it is sometimes morally right, such as killing in a a just war, or killing in self-defence.

This is especially problematic since the Bible demands killing for ridiculous reasons like adultery, apostasy, and dishonoring your parents. If that's "divine revelation of the moral law," I want no fncking part of it!!

Every single one of O'Reilly's assertions is a laughable argument.

You know, there are many credible, thoughtful Catholics out there. Perhaps you should stop looking to a self-aggrandizing twerp like O'Reilly for a good Catholic example.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2012, 12:40 PM

That first one could have come right out of the 10th century.

O'Reilly just got medieval on our asses.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2012, 02:15 AM

Not killing people because of divine mandate isn't morality, its just obedience. That obedience is really just because you want something at the end of it so then it simply becomes bargaining.

Humans can be a product of chance and still have value, these things are not mutually exclusive. In fact, those who appreciate the scale of that chance will add value for that reason alone.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2012, 06:37 AM

Not killing people because of divine mandate isn't morality, its just obedience. That obedience is really just because you want something at the end of it so then it simply becomes bargaining.
I'm obedient to family member requests because I love them, they unconditionally give me love and I want nothing from them.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I'm obedient to family member requests because I love them, they unconditionally give me love and I want nothing from them.
Sure you do: want their presence, their support, their guidance, and so on. Love is a mutual relationship. Even why the beloved can seem to give very little (babies, dying relatives), we still want and get much from them.

And given the context of the conversation, were you making some sort of analogy to our relationship with God? If so, I can't see it. God's love for us seems pretty damn conditional, if the Bible is anything to go by.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2012, 10:11 AM

Sure you do: want their presence, their support, their guidance, and so on. Love is a mutual relationship. Even why the beloved can seem to give very little (babies, dying relatives), we still want and get much from them.
You can speak for yourself, but that's not how I feel.

And given the context of the conversation, were you making some sort of analogy to our relationship with God? If so, I can't see it. God's love for us seems pretty damn conditional, if the Bible is anything to go by.
I haven't talked with God before, so I have no reference for that. Some do feel like they have an unconditional love for, and with, God. That's completely up to them, though. In the ultimate sense of what God means to me, "I Am" is unknowable.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2012, 10:27 AM

I never meant to claim that all obedience is observed only for reward, but this certainly seems to be the case when it comes to god(s).

One can usually look upon obedience this way if one tries as IPM has done but in obeying your loved ones there are some layers of complexity to it. They ask; you give; they get happy; that makes you happy. Its easy to show it as self-serving but the god -> believer dynamic is mostly just Follow rules, get eternal paradise; don't follow rules, get eternal damnation. Its much simpler economics.

Forum Links
Forum Rules