Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The new iPad

The new iPad (Page 3)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Pic examples from the camera: Hình chụp bởi iPad 2012

Full light pix are decent: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7057/6...26dc9197_o.jpg

Low light is acceptable for a tablet camera: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7208/6...ea1bd8d3_o.jpg

This is what the iPad 2 should have had.
True. I wonder how that would have affected Apple's margins at the time.

Also, giving the iPad 2 crappy cameras allowed them to pull two great marketing coups:

1.) HEY, we added cameras to the iPad! FACETIME, BABY! You know you want this.

2.) Hey, we fixed the cameras in the iPad! They're now acceptable, even with the new retina display. You know you want this.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2012, 02:50 PM

Haha... 3 pages. In your face Dakar!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
True. I wonder how that would have affected Apple's margins at the time.

Also, giving the iPad 2 crappy cameras allowed them to pull two great marketing coups:

1.) HEY, we added cameras to the iPad! FACETIME, BABY! You know you want this.

2.) Hey, we fixed the cameras in the iPad! They're now acceptable, even with the new retina display. You know you want this.
Well, that's normal for Apple. They often sandbag for marketing purposes.

Mind you, in truth, I don't actually use the iPad cameras. Our iPad 2 is for home use, so we always have access to a better camera anyway. And even if I did take the iPad 2 on the road, the iPad rear camera is somewhat superfluous since I already have an iPhone 4.

The bigger upgrade for me is the retina display. I wasn't convinced I'd want a retina display, but after using the iPad 2 it became clear quickly that the retina display would be a great addition.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The bigger upgrade for me is the retina display. I wasn't convinced I'd want a retina display, but after using the iPad 2 it became clear quickly that the retina display would be a great addition.
Agreed. IMO the new display will present visibly obvious difference from lesser displays and competitors will have a very, very difficult time achieving price/battery/display parity. Big win for Apple.

-Allen

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2012, 10:26 PM

MacWorld reviews the iPad 3

Review: The third-generation iPad Review | Macworld

much better graphics engine, otherwise no faster

no clock app, no weather app (pretty disappointing?)

tested the ATT LTE network, but not the VZ iPad (totally disappointing!)

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2012, 10:54 AM

The reviews are piling up:

David Pogue calls it "the iPad That Shall Not Be Numbered"--further evidence that Lord Voldemort is interfering with Apple's nomenclature. Pogue suggests asking for it by name when you get to the Store: "The iPad."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/te...tter.html?_r=1

"My Verizon test unit got download speeds ranging from 6 to 29 megabits a second in San Francisco, Boston and New York — in many cases, faster than home cable-modem service. According to tests by PC Magazine and others, AT&T’s 4G network is smaller, but often faster. No doubt about it: life begins at 4G. "

Then there's Walt Mossberg's review:

The New iPad Review: Faster, Sharper and Thicker | Walt Mossberg - WSJ.com

"On Verizon's network in Washington and Austin, Texas, I averaged LTE download speeds of over 17 megabits per second, faster than most home wired networks. A colleague using a new iPad on AT&T's LTE network averaged over 12 mbps. My iPad 2 running Verizon's 3G network averaged just over 1 mbps.

And some more VZ data speeds over at the Verge:

iPad review (2012) | The Verge

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2012, 11:23 AM

I'm German, what do you expect?

Hard to type and concentrate when your wall is covered in David Hasselhof posters?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2012, 01:07 PM

Sad thing this is the first iPad that comes effectively carrier-locked from the drawing board, for not making a single SKU with a 704-787MHz antenna, while the baseband chip is good for either AT&T and Verizon LTE.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2012, 04:42 PM

I need some advice here. I live in Portland, Oregon and we have Verizon LTE but no AT&T LTE. I pre-ordered an AT&T iPad because I didn't check beforehand (my bad) and I have a grandfathered in unlimited iPad data deal from the original iPad.

My dilemma is, do I swap the AT&T for the Verizon iPad (whenever I can, I doubt I'll be able to on day 1) or do I just keep AT&T and deal with no LTE. As far as I can tell, AT&T doesn't plan on brining LTE to Portland ever. Or at least they have no public plans as of yet.

I feel that if I'm going to pay for LTE on my iPad, I want to use LTE and not 3G. Then again I have "true" unlimited data on AT&T for my iPad. I guess that's kinda nice.

Cold Warrior
Mar 15, 2012, 05:12 PM

at&t already throttles unlimited plans after 3 GB, so it's probably only a matter of time before they do it to iPad unlimited plans, if they're not doing it already.

Verizon iPad offers LTE, good data plan rates, excellent 3G coverage (better than at&t, although slower), and you can use the verizon iPad as a hotspot, free. at&t doesn't offer that.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2012, 07:14 PM

Good points. I do expect AT&T to take away the original unlimited plans from those of use who got in on them. I also am wondering if it would be grandfathered in to LTE, or if thats a different ballgame.

I do like Verizon's packages, and the hotspot thing is pretty nice. RIght now I'm leaning towards switching to Verizon. I just hope that Apple will have some in stock before my 15 days are up.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2012, 07:37 PM

Got one!

Black 64Gb wifi

heavier than I expected

the screen is superb!
this sig intentionally left blank

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I do expect AT&T to take away the original unlimited plans from those of use who got in on them.
Why would At&T want to take away the unlimited data plans? So far they have just taken our money for years and will throttle us if we actually use more data. Sounds like a perfect world for scumbag AT&T: take our money and never, ever deliver.

The AT&T execs should be personally financially responsible to reimburse all of us who they have cheated and continue to cheat.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by simonjames View Post
Got one!

Black 64Gb wifi

heavier than I expected

the screen is superb!
Amazing, did it ship a day early?!

I can't wait for mine to arrive tomorrow!!
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Hard to type and concentrate when your wall is covered in David Hasselhof posters?
That's a new one

-t

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2012, 11:34 AM

Öfter mal was neues--oder nicht!

Here's a question: Does Dictation work with noise-reduction bluetooth headsets?

PS: iFixit has already torn down the iPad That Shall Not Be Numbered in Australia. Lots of battery for that hungry LTE chip and the screen--except that the Australian iPad has a note that says the iPad (whatever number) is NOT compatible with Australian LTE (it falls back to 3G...)

So, in Australia, and everywhere else except the US and Canada and Mexico (?) LTE will NOT work. You'll be buying the newest toy only for the screen, pretty much

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2012, 11:50 AM

That screen is a pretty huge upgrade, but it's disappointing the CPU performance won't be any better. The iPad 2 definitely needed a CPU boost, but the new iPad isn't going to be the machine that provides it.

While I'm not a huge fan of the iPad 2's screen and think I'd greatly appreciate the new iPad's screen, I think I'd appreciate a CPU performance boost even more. That said, one wonders if having twice the RAM will partially compensate for the lack of a CPU boost.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2012, 02:40 PM

Die size is up to 163 mm^2, so likely still 45nm process for A5X. Double the size (= double the cost) of the quad core Tegra 3 (which is on a 40nm process), but better graphics performance with the 543MP4.

edit: Indeed, the GPUs are huge:
( Last edited by mduell; Mar 16, 2012 at 04:25 PM. )

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
So, in Australia, and everywhere else except the US and Canada and Mexico (?) LTE will NOT work. You'll be buying the newest toy only for the screen, pretty much
And this is why LTE iPad sales will tank worldwide, lest the non-northamerican early adopters who find out they can't return their LTE-less iPads back to the fruit store.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
And this is why LTE iPad sales will tank worldwide, lest the non-northamerican early adopters who find out they can't return their LTE-less iPads back to the fruit store.
Are you being sarcastic?

The exclusivity to the North American market is one of the reasons I think LTE is a boneheaded move, but considering that it's not really being mentioned in advertising material (you have to scroll down on the "features" page on the German iPad site to even find it), it's hardly going to slow sales.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2012, 05:03 PM

Douche nozzle from FedEx refused to leave it with the cleaners next door.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2012, 05:07 PM

You think.

LTE is the killer feature, while Retina is the meh accessory.

I give it 6 months before Android tablets are sold more in your country because of the faster intertubes.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2012, 06:32 PM

Mexico´s Telcel LTE 4G net will launch until April. Let´s see if the new iPad will work at true 4G speeds.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2012, 06:37 PM

You think.

LTE is the killer feature, while Retina is the meh accessory.

I give it 6 months before Android tablets are sold more in your country because of the faster intertubes.
We get 42 Mbit HSPA. LTE is in experimental deployment.

Honestly, I believe the only reason it's in the iPad is because 3G (er, sorry, 4G) coverage in the US is so atrocious.

And does it really matter if you're getting anything more than 10 MBit/sec on an iPad?

Cold Warrior
Mar 16, 2012, 06:42 PM

Media are reporting that the vzw iPad will take an AT&T micro sim no problem. If you have an unlimited plan, maybe it'll take that sim for unlimited.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by polendo View Post
Mexico´s Telcel LTE 4G net will launch until April. Let´s see if the new iPad will work at true 4G speeds.
Pero que promete Apple sobre el iPad en México? Que harás si te desilusiona al no cumplir una promesa que no ha escrito?

Should I get the AT&T or Verizon iPad to enjoy the 5GB for 449 pesos (35 us dollars) in puerto penasco?
( Last edited by The Godfather; Mar 16, 2012 at 07:35 PM. )

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Media are reporting that the vzw iPad will take an AT&T micro sim no problem. If you have an unlimited plan, maybe it'll take that sim for unlimited.
But it would be 400% better if you get an "AT&T iPad" and stick your unlimited plan SIM. That way you can Netflix in HD from breakfast to dinner.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Die size is up to 163 mm^2, so likely still 45nm process for A5X. Double the size (= double the cost) of the quad core Tegra 3 (which is on a 40nm process), but better graphics performance with the 543MP4.[/IMG][/URL]
Looking forward to the 28/32 nm A6.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2012, 05:20 AM

Did anyone else get a new iPad with a yellowish tint to their screen? The ipad on the left is my iPad 2, the one on the right is my new iPad. Will I be able to replace it if I take it back to an Apple store?

Cold Warrior
Mar 17, 2012, 08:40 AM

with the iPhone 4 and iPad 2, I remember reports of yellow ting being linked to the bonding agent Apple used, and that it would clear up in a few days. They were being shipped from factory to customer so quickly the agent hadn't dissipated.

P
Mar 17, 2012, 08:55 AM

Honestly, I believe the only reason it's in the iPad is because 3G (er, sorry, 4G) coverage in the US is so atrocious.
I think it's at least partially because of network congestion. Moving the iPad to LTE clears up space in the 3G bands.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2012, 12:58 PM

After using it for a day, I have to say this is an easily recommendation for anyone still with the iPad 1. I could understand the disappointment from iPad 2 owners who are upgrading though as I don't feel the camera or the 4G outside of where it is supported really makes a difference to the average consumer. Inside, the camera produces grainy shots and the front facing camera still has poor quality.

These minor issues continue with Dictation which doesn't work well with people from the UK.

Overall though, the benefits of iPad 2 + the new iPad = A very happy upgrader from the iPad 1.

The screen is incredibly crisp and it really does have that 'wow' factor that you come to expect from Apple.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
with the iPhone 4 and iPad 2, I remember reports of yellow ting being linked to the bonding agent Apple used, and that it would clear up in a few days. They were being shipped from factory to customer so quickly the agent hadn't dissipated.
That does seem plausible but according to this website my iPad was made back in January (week 3).

Klantenservice: Serienummers

I will still take your advice and wait a few days to see if it clears up.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
That does seem plausible but according to this website my iPad was made back in January (week 3).

Klantenservice: Serienummers

I will still take your advice and wait a few days to see if it clears up.
But no longer than 14 days, when Apple takes away your right of return.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2012, 06:12 PM

14 days is for return without cause. If the display remains flawed it is under 12 month warranty.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2012, 07:07 PM

A warmer K display is hardly a reason to return an iPad
Maybe you didn't read the specification before you bought it

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2012, 07:28 PM

The beauty of Apple's policy is that you do not need a reason.

Performance among displays will vary.

It is easy. If the color temp presentation of the display does not suit you after 10-12 days take it back and compare it visually against other new iPads in the store.

Note that only you can decide what suits you.

-Allen

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2012, 11:13 PM

Here's my pair. The 2 is on the right.

The pic makes it look the opposite, but in reality the 2 has slightly more yellow in it. Obviously not like Stogieman's.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2012, 01:48 AM

Loving my iPad, I held off on the 2 since I was poor when it launched and now I've got cash to burn so I bought one for me and one for my rents. Incidentally my mom is still shocked.

I'd say the big thing for me is the Retina display. I probably would have bought a 2 if the display hadn't looked like crap compared to my iPhone 4. But now both my iOS devices look very handsome

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2012, 01:38 PM

Pero que promete Apple sobre el iPad en México? Que harás si te desilusiona al no cumplir una promesa que no ha escrito?

Should I get the AT&T or Verizon iPad to enjoy the 5GB for 449 pesos (35 us dollars) in puerto penasco?
Apple hasn´t released the new iPad yet, so that is still unknown. On the 23rd they are supposed to release it oficially.

From what I read, 100 cities will get 4G LTE coverage (Telcel).. BUT I do not know if Puerto Peñasco is among them. If logic prevails, I´m afraid main cities will go first.

freudling
Banned
Mar 18, 2012, 03:09 PM

Well, after some discussions with mods, I decided to come back to MacNN. My first real post back. I'm not going to post much anymore, but once in a while I'll drop in.

To me the iPad 3 is one step forward, two steps back. One step forward with the nice Retina Display, two steps back with the increased weight and girth. It's actually almost too heavy. There were a lot of complaints about the iPad 1 being too heavy. Apple worked hard to get the weight down on the iPad 2 to 1.32 lbs. but now this new one has shot up to 1.44 lbs. (Wifi) and 9.4 mm thick compared to 8.8 (iPad 2).

People will say how the battery had to increase in size, etc. But in the end it's about overcoming engineering challenges to do the impossible, something people have come to expect from Apple. I can't help but think that without Jobs, Apple is beginning to slip. Imagine Jobs in a board room saying how there's no way they were going to release the iPad 3 in a state where it was heavier and thicker than the previous model. He'd be right: it's hard to market that.

I don't know about where you live, but in Vancouver the line up on Friday morning downtown Apple Store was thin, and every store I went to had stock later in the day.

And the big iPad 3 ad with the flower on Apple's homepage: the picture looks out of place. The big pink flower and green leaves in the background with the white framed iPad. I think Jobs would have said it looks like a landscaping advertisement and pushed for a better, more universal picture to show off the screen. And the marketing page for the iPad 3 seems convoluted. When I read Walt's book... it appears as though Jobs had a major hand in all of Apple's advertising, pushing their copy in a way to make it sharp and simple, with a clear message.

Adding to the increased weight and thickness, is the increased battery charge times, alongside the now $100 cheaper iPad 2. I'm very interested to see how the iPad 3 sales pan out over the next three months.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2012, 03:32 PM

Welcome back!

You're completely and totally wrong.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2012, 03:59 PM

Another step back: by not making a single SKU that supports both ATT and Verizon LTE frequencies, they are selling effectively carrier-locked iPads, without the subsidy!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I'm very interested to see how the iPad 3 sales pan out over the next three months.
They'll be off the charts.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2012, 06:29 PM

And the stock price will continue climbing and climbing.

The one thing Dell and other folk haven't said yet is how Apple is going to be dead soonish because of the failure of the new iPad.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2012, 07:35 PM

I'm loving my new iPad, as is my Mom, who ironically said when she didn't know she was getting one, that she couldn't wait to see that pretty flower on that screen.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2012, 07:35 PM

Everytime I read about something being 0.20 lbs heavier (and that being a disadvantage) I can't help remember how heavy were 1990s laptops compared to nowaday's. I don´t think they will object to that extra weight if they were getting a Philly Sandwhich or a NY slice of pizza. 0.20 lbs is nothing! In all fairness I prefer a solid/heavy feeling on my devices to lighter ones.. it gives me a sense of something well built.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2012, 08:28 PM

Does that hunk of GHG producing iPad come with a 20W charger or do you need to charge it over overnight (an Alaskan night)?

freudling
Banned
Mar 18, 2012, 09:10 PM

Does that hunk of GHG producing iPad come with a 20W charger or do you need to charge it over overnight (an Alaskan night)?
Comes with the same AC adapter as the iPad 2. Takes a lot longer to charge. I've found that while in use, the battery charges about 5% per hour. Thus, it would take 20 hours to charge the battery while the machine is in use. When turned off and plugged in, it seems to take quite a bit longer to charge than the iPad 2.

freudling
Banned
Mar 18, 2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by polendo View Post
Everytime I read about something being 0.20 lbs heavier (and that being a disadvantage) I can't help remember how heavy were 1990s laptops compared to nowaday's. I don´t think they will object to that extra weight if they were getting a Philly Sandwhich or a NY slice of pizza. 0.20 lbs is nothing! In all fairness I prefer a solid/heavy feeling on my devices to lighter ones.. it gives me a sense of something well built.
Actually, the physics of force on fulcrums... small weight differences on these hand held devices can add up to big differences in force on the biceps when reading, for instance. In this case, the iPad 3, with its extra weight, increases the force on the biceps by about 7% over the iPad 2. It may not sound like much, but since these devices are held for long periods of time in particular usage scenarios, unlike laptops that sit on a desk, fatigue comes even faster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules