Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What's the deal with Pope Francis?

What's the deal with Pope Francis? (Page 16)
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2015, 01:04 PM

On the off chance me mentioning the pizza is what prompted this, what I found cool about it is Francis is basically putting himself at great risk of bodily harm so he can be closer to his flock.

I think his sacrifice is awesome, and seeing how much joy it's bringing is awesome as well.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2015, 01:25 PM

I realize attempts have been made on previous ope's lives, but you'd have to be a psycho to do it generally, let alone to this pope.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2015, 01:29 PM

45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2015, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I realize attempts have been made on previous ope's lives, but you'd have to be a psycho to do it generally, let alone to this pope.
You down with O.P.E.?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2015, 10:26 AM

Best Pope going liberal again
The accord got a boost as the Vatican, just ahead of Pope Francis' visit to Washington next week, welcomed the agreement. Archbishop Paul Gallagher, the Holy See's secretary for relations with states, said in Vienna on Monday that the Vatican backs the agreement because it thinks the best way to resolve disputes is through dialogue and negotiation.

Gallagher said the Vatican hopes full implementation of the accord "will ensure the peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear program" and "will be a definitive step toward greater stability and security in the region."

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2015, 10:45 AM

He's on my sh*t list because when he comes to DC the traffic will be intercoursed bigtime. I will have to get into DC before 5:30am. They say the GW parkway will have 2 hour delays! I NEVER want the Olympic's in DC. The traffic would suck for weeks.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2015, 11:17 AM

I feel like the way right-leaning media like Fox News have been treating the Pope is pretty indicative that the way liberals have been interpreting him isn't too far off base.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2015, 11:21 AM

45/47

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2015, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
St. John Paul II repeated the teaching in one of his Theology of the Body lectures: “The mutual gift of self of the spouses to one another, while total, is contradicted if it is overlaid with the language of contraception, or if one of the spouses eats the other like a wasp spider.”
!!!

Who talks like this?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
!!!

Who talks like this?
God?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2015, 12:01 PM

English as a 5th language.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2015, 02:43 PM

His English isn't that great, marginal at best.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2015, 02:48 PM

So, the Reddit hive mind has concluded Benedict was the classic "interim CEO". Take the heat generated by an immensely popular forerunner, soak it, get disposed of, be replaced by someone who will be immensely popular.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Just another reason for conservatives to dislike him
joke

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2015, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Just another reason for conservatives to dislike him
joke
Another reason for liberals to misquote him.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2015, 07:16 AM

45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2015, 07:19 AM

45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2015, 01:22 PM

Okay... taking it a little too far.

Pope Francis to Release Pop-Rock Album 'Wake Up!' | Rolling Stone

Check the date. It's not April.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2015, 02:18 PM

I wonder if it will be similar to the musical stylings of Pat Boone? Can't wait to hear his rendition of Holy Diver!
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 30, 2015, 11:43 AM

Pope Francis with the sick burn on libs meeting with Kim Davis.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2015, 07:43 AM

Let's just say the folks at MSNBC were not happy.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2015, 09:49 AM

Let's just say the folks at MSNBC were not happy.
Yeah, neither are the people at another forum I frequent. People seem to have taken it a little too personally, probably because its one of the topics du jour.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 1, 2015, 08:20 PM

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2015, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
G
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2015, 11:56 PM

Ellen's team is good.

The effect didn't trip my bullshit sensors, it was how quickly it cut to the reaction.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 2, 2015, 09:14 AM

G
There's a reason he didn't post that – its gigantic

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 2, 2015, 10:17 AM

Chongo, you feelin' alright? The Vatican released one of it's patented clarifications and you didn't post it in here
Statement regarding a meeting of Pope Francis and Mrs. Kim Davis at the Nunciature in Washington, DC (Fr F. Lombardi, Director of the Press Office of the Holy See)
The brief meeting between Mrs. Kim Davis and Pope Francis at the Apostolic Nunciature in Washington, DC has continued to provoke comments and discussion. In order to contribute to an objective understanding of what transpired I am able to clarify the following points:

Pope Francis met with several dozen persons who had been invited by the Nunciature to greet him as he prepared to leave Washington for New York City. Such brief greetings occur on all papal visits and are due to the Pope’s characteristic kindness and availability. The only real audience granted by the Pope at the Nunciature was with one of his former students and his family.

The Pope did not enter into the details of the situation of Mrs. Davis and his meeting with her should not be considered a form of support of her position in all of its particular and complex aspects.
I guess they did not like the coverage they were getting

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2015, 11:10 AM

That could be. This did not involve something Pope Francis said. This is what Pope Fancis said on the flight back to Rome.

Pope Francis: "I’m not a star, but the servant of servants of God”

Terry Moran, ABC News:

Holy Father, thank you, thank you very much and thank you to the Vatican staff as well. Holy Father, you visited the Little Sisters of the Poor and we were told that you wanted to show your support for them and their case in the courts. And, Holy Father, do you also support those individuals, including government officials, who say they cannot in good conscience, their own personal conscience, abide by some laws or discharge their duties as government officials, for example in issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples. Do you support those kinds of claims of religious liberty?

Pope Francis:

I can’t have in mind all cases that can exist about conscience objection. But, yes, I can say the conscientious objection is a right that is a part of every human right. It is a right. And if a person does not allow others to be a conscientious objector, he denies a right. Conscientious objection must enter into every juridical structure because it is a right, a human right. Otherwise we would end up in a situation where we select what is a right, saying “this right that has merit, this one does not.” It (conscientious objection) is a human right. It always moved me when I read, and I read it many times, when I read the “Chanson de Roland” when the people were all in line and before them was the baptismal font and they had to choose between the baptismal font or the sword. They had to choose. They weren’t permitted conscientious objection. It is a right and if we want to make peace we have to respect all rights.

Terry Moran, ABC News:

Would that include government officials as well?

Pope Francis:

It is a human right and if a government official is a human person, he has that right. It is a human right.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 2, 2015, 11:45 AM

lol, now you're just reposting stuff

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 2, 2015, 01:02 PM

Libs gonna go bipolar
CNN Exclusive: Pope met privately with gay couple - CNN.com
The day before Pope Francis met anti-gay county clerk Kim Davis in Washington last week, he held a private meeting with a longtime friend from Argentina who has been in a same-sex relationship for 19 years.
More damage control or liberal media spin?
idon'treallycare

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2015, 04:21 PM

lol, now you're just reposting stuff
Would cross posting be a better desciption?
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2015, 04:35 PM

Libs gonna go bipolar
CNN Exclusive: Pope met privately with gay couple - CNN.com

More damage control or liberal media spin?
idon'treallycare
More of the left and right trying to put the Pope in their camp. The more important meeting was with the Little Sister of the Poor.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 2, 2015, 04:38 PM

More of the left and right trying to put the Pope in their camp.
Which you totally weren't trying to do earlier.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2015, 02:16 PM

More clarification from the Vatican.
Holy See Press Office issues statement on Pope's meeting with Yayo Grassi Vatican Radio

(Vatican Radio) Father Federico Lombardi, SJ, the head of the Holy See Press Office has released a statement on Pope Francis' meeting with Mr. Yayo Grassi during his visit to Washington, DC.
Please find the full statement below:
Statement of Fr. Federico Lombardi, SJ, Director of Holy See Press Office
Regarding the Meeting of Pope Francis with Mr. Yayo Grassi in Washington, DC
Mr. Yayo Grassi, a former Argentine student of Pope Francis, who had already met other times in the past with the Pope, asked to present his mother and several friends to the Pope during the Pope’s stay in Washington, DC. As noted in the past, the Pope, as pastor, has maintained many personal relationships with people in a spirit of kindness, welcome and dialogue.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2015, 02:19 PM

45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2015, 02:53 PM

Last time I was in Rome, our Colesseum tour guide tried to pimp their Vatican tour.

She had to note, since JPII was sick, they couldn't offer an audience with him, which was part of their standard Vatican package.

I'd say a papal audience is pretty meaningless.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2015, 04:46 PM

When in Rome, I saw 15 pretty decent chapels, but that sixteenth one... look out.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2015, 05:17 PM

45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2015, 09:58 AM

Well, this got soap opera-ish
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/wo...avis.html?_r=0
The archbishop, who was exiled to the United States in 2011 after losing a high-altitude Vatican power struggle that became public in an infamous leaks scandal, now finds himself at the center of another papal controversy. This time, the Vatican is suggesting that Archbishop Viganò is responsible for giving papal face time to Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk whose refusal to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples has made her a heroine to social conservatives.
But the Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, said on Friday that the office of Archbishop Viganò had extended the invitation to Ms. Davis and that the pope was probably not briefed about her case. And the Rev. Federico Lombardi, the chief Vatican spokesman, depicted the meeting as one meet-and-greet among many.
Mr. Staver said his client’s meeting with the pope was indeed private and that “if there was a line or other people, they would not have been able to keep this quiet as long as they have.” He then detailed the choreography involved in setting up the meeting.

He said Archbishop Viganò personally contacted Ms. Davis late in the day on Sept. 14 suggesting a private meeting with Pope Francis on Sept. 24. On the eve of the meeting, he said Ms. Davis received a voice mail message on her cellphone confirming the meeting and instructing her to keep her noticeably long hair up.
The question now is did Archbishop Viganò, left to linger in the United States as a new administration has taken power in Rome, keep Pope Francis in the dark or simply underestimate the off-message media storm that a meeting with Ms. Davis would provoke. Or, after executing orders from Rome, has he once again found himself being hung out to dry at the end of his career.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2015, 12:42 PM

This is at odds with Pope Fancis saying that family and marriage were the reason for his visit since he was here to attend to the World Meeting of Families.
The encounter struck a dissonant note in a papal visit that seemed designed to avoid the battlefields of the culture wars. News of the meeting has proved to be manna for conservatives frustrated by Francis’ de-emphasis of social issues and hungry for more of a papal focus on religious liberty and doctrinal opposition to same-sex marriage.
Father Z's empahsis

I will end my visit to your country in Philadelphia, where I will take part in the World Meeting of Families. It is my wish that throughout my visit the family should be a recurrent theme. How essential the family has been to the building of this country! And how worthy it remains of our support and encouragement! Yet I cannot hide my concern for the family, which is threatened, perhaps as never before, from within and without. Fundamental relationships are being called into question, as is the very basis of marriage and the family. [Pretty clear what he means, no?] I can only reiterate the importance and, above all, the richness and the beauty of family life.
It looks like the author ignored Pope Franis' speech at Independance Mall on Religious Liberty

In case ya'll did not know, the Papal Nuncio is the Papal Amassador and personal representitve of the Pope. He has a role in selecting who is elevated to Bishop in the country he is Nuncio.
45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2015, 07:46 PM

I heard Rob Flynn from Machine Head was kicked out of the Sistine Chapel.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2016, 12:19 PM

Feel the Bern!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2016, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Feel the Burn! in hell
fixed
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 8, 2016, 04:28 PM

I can't believe the Pope would associate with a known communist.

andi*pandi
Apr 8, 2016, 04:41 PM

How many other candidates has the pope met with or does he usually? I hope it's not one of those 5 min fly bys where he shakes your hand and is done (anti-gay marriage clerk).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I can't believe the Pope would associate with a known communist.
Supposedly Bernie invited himself and has no audience with the Pope.

andi*pandi
Apr 8, 2016, 05:57 PM

He was invited to speak at a conference, not to the pope directly.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...o-the-vatican/

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2016, 11:09 PM

45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2016, 07:33 AM

What would happen if this pope (or any pope) just suddenly announced that homosexuality and contraception were cool now. Would the RCC fracture?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2016, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
What would happen if this pope (or any pope) just suddenly announced that homosexuality and contraception were cool now. Would the RCC fracture?
Funny you should mention that. Pope Francis just issued his Apostolic Exhortation Amoris Laetitiae (Latin, “the joy of love”))
3) What does the document say about homosexuality?

It says very little. It notes that same-sex unions “may not simply be equated with marriage” (AL 52). It also says:
During the Synod, we discussed the situation of families whose members include persons who experience same-sex attraction, a situation not easy either for parents or for children.

We would like before all else to reaffirm that every person, regardless of sexual orientation, ought to be respected in his or her dignity and treated with consideration, while ‘every sign of unjust discrimination’ is to be carefully avoided, particularly any form of aggression and violence.

Such families should be given respectful pastoral guidance, so that those who manifest a homosexual orientation can receive the assistance they need to understand and fully carry out God’s will in their lives.

In discussing the dignity and mission of the family, the Synod Fathers observed that, “as for proposals to place unions between homosexual persons on the same level as marriage, there are absolutely no grounds for considering homosexual unions to be in any way similar or even remotely analogous to God’s plan for marriage and family.”

It is unacceptable “that local Churches should be subjected to pressure in this matter and that international bodies should make financial aid to poor countries dependent on the introduction of laws to establish ‘marriage’ between persons of the same sex” (AL 250-251).
And that’s it. Contrary to the hopes of some, the document did not attempt to reframe the Church’s teaching on same-sex activity or same-sex unions.

Read more: The Pope’s New Document on Marriage: 12 Things to Know and Share |Blogs | NCRegister.com
Bernie may have to decline his invite. He might damage his street cred with the Prog's
Make sure you read these passages from Amoris Laetitia, too | Catholic World Report - Global Church news and views
On reproductive technology:

56. On the other hand, “the techno­logical revolution in the field of human procrea­tion has introduced the ability to manipulate the reproductive act, making it independent of the sexual relationship between a man and a wom­an. In this way, human life and parenthood have become modular and separable realities, subject mainly to the wishes of individuals or couples”. It is one thing to be understanding of human weakness and the complexities of life, and an­other to accept ideologies that attempt to sun­der what are inseparable aspects of reality. Let us not fall into the sin of trying to replace the Creator. We are creatures, and not omnipotent. Creation is prior to us and must be received as a gift.
( Last edited by Chongo; Apr 9, 2016 at 12:00 PM. )
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules