Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari is asking for flash

Safari is asking for flash
jeff k
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2014, 02:15 AM

This is real odd because Safari was opening flash websites fine before. I just did the new OS upgrade, yet that did not solve it so I'm stumped. Software updates says everything is current. and I did the flash update too. thanks.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
thanks.
Welcome.
And your question is?

I guess now that flash isn't working anymore after you updated the OS to 10.6.8 like your signature is saying, or to OS 10.?.? ...and you updated flash to version ?
Does this website work with Firefox or Chrome/Chromium (they have build in flash and don't need the plugin)?
Do you maybe have any Safari plugin installed that might prevent flash from working - like "clicktoflash"?

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2014, 12:32 PM

Thanks Badidea, to clarify. Flash is working fine. Firefox, Chrome, no problem.
Have no idea why Safari is asking for flash. I even installed it again. I've never heard of clicktoflash.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2014, 01:12 PM

Make sure you install the LATEST VERSION of Flash.

Safari will block any outdated version for security reasons.

akent35
Banned
Jul 8, 2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Make sure you install the LATEST VERSION of Flash.

Safari will block any outdated version for security reasons.
That's excellent advice! On a daily basis (at least 3 or 4 times a day), I visit Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps - Discover & Download : MacUpdate to see if there are any software updates for products I use. Yes, one can try and rely on programs to tell you that a newer version is available, but that's not always the case.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
On a daily basis (at least 3 or 4 times a day), I visit Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps - Discover & Download : MacUpdate to see if there are any software updates for products I use.
Three or for times A DAY? That's positively neurotic.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2014, 10:29 PM

S,
But I just downloaded from the link that came up to download flash provided!

Anyway update: is was not current. Now it is, but Safari says it's not current, — Firefox and Chrome say it is current.
( Last edited by jeff k; Jul 9, 2014 at 12:11 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2014, 02:55 AM

Please do not EVER download things directly from pop-up warnings in Safari. You really don't know what you're downloading, and faking other software to trick people into downloading and installing malware is a common attack vector that has been used on OS X in the past.

For Flash, go into system preferences and in the Flash panel, click "check for updates".

akent35
Banned
Jul 9, 2014, 07:55 AM

Three or for times A DAY? That's positively neurotic.
But, it's not an example of "Stupid is as stupid does". Such examples I leave for you.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2014, 08:05 AM

I honestly have no idea what it is with you, but you make me laugh.

Thanks.

akent35
Banned
Jul 9, 2014, 08:33 AM

I honestly have no idea what it is with you, but you make me laugh.

Thanks.
And, you make me smile everyday, with continuing to exhibit "Stupid is as stupid does". Since this is the 20th anniversary of that excellent movie "Forrest Gump", your timing is impeccable. Also, I have been seeking out examples of this behavior over the past 5 months or so. Thank you so, so much for providing numerous examples.

As Clint said: "Go ahead, make my day". Thanks for doing that for me everyday! :I know I can count on you to do this!

andi*pandi
Jul 9, 2014, 10:51 AM

ahem, not everything needs to be a p!ssing match.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2014, 12:55 PM

S, thanks, ok did the check in system prefs, it's up to date, FF and Chrome are ok. Yet Safari still says it needs flash. Stumped.

akent35
Banned
Jul 9, 2014, 01:22 PM

S, thanks, ok did the check in system prefs, it's up to date, FF and Chrome are ok. Yet Safari still says it needs flash. Stumped.
jeff, I "occasionally" using Safari 7.0.5, and I just visited a site, clicked on a video that uses flash, and it worked fine. (It did not play in Firefox, but that's another issue. On quite a few other sites, videos play fine in Firefox). In fact, that Safari test I did was with the prior version of Flash. I just installed the newest version (14.0.0.145) on my MacMini (did it last night via my Mac Book Air), just ran the test again, and it worked fine.

Maybe you should uninstall, and then re-install Safari (not sure what the latest version is for Snow Leopard). V7.0.x requires Mavericks, and 6.1.x is for Lion and Mountain Lion. V14.0.0.145 of Flash is compatible with OS 10.6 and later, and Safari V5.0 and later.
( Last edited by akent35; Jul 9, 2014 at 01:44 PM. )

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2014, 02:10 PM

Safari says 7.0.5

I think Flash is ok, other two browswers says it's up to date.

akent35
Banned
Jul 9, 2014, 02:57 PM

Safari says 7.0.5

Hmm, I thought you are using OS 10.6.8, the last version of Snow Leopard. If that's the case, surprised if Safari V7.0.5 works at all for you. Yet, the latest version of Firefox (30.0) and Chrome (35.0.1916.153) both work for OS 10.6 and later.

From doing a google search about this, this link (on apple's site) contains numerous "articles" about Safari V5.x:

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?pa...Safari%205.0.5

Hopefully, that will help you.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2014, 03:23 PM

Check in Safari's preferences whether the Flash plugin is blocked.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2014, 03:32 PM

thanks S, that solved it!
Allow plug ins (which I'd never noticed before, and never touched), was unchecked.

akent35
Banned
Jul 9, 2014, 03:33 PM

Check in Safari's preferences whether the Flash plugin is blocked.
Not sure that even doing that will help. How can V7.0.5 run successfully under Snow Leopard? Maybe something "spooky" is going on!

akent35
Banned
Jul 9, 2014, 03:34 PM

thanks S, that solved it!
Allow plug ins (which I'd never noticed before, and never touched), was unchecked.
Hmm, that's a surprise! Oh well, learn something new everyday.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2014, 03:37 PM

At least they default to off when they add a control for the potentially harmful thing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2014, 06:07 PM

Hmm, that's a surprise! Oh well, learn something new everyday.
It seems you should listen to the "stupid", there's a lot you can learn from them.

-t

akent35
Banned
Jul 9, 2014, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
It seems you should listen to the "stupid", there's a lot you can learn from them.

-t
Only when it makes sense to do so.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2014, 12:03 AM

Only when it makes sense to do so.
For you, it makes a LOT of sense.

-t

akent35
Banned
Jul 10, 2014, 01:42 AM

For you, it makes a LOT of sense.

-t
You don't make ANY sense at all. But, given who you are, why am I not surprised?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2014, 02:48 AM

When in a hole, stop digging.

akent35
Banned
Jul 10, 2014, 03:35 AM

When in a hole, stop digging.
I'm not in a hole. I'm WAY above it. It's others that are in a huge hole. And, looks like some more examples of "Stupid is as stupid does". Good, as they make me smile!
( Last edited by akent35; Jul 10, 2014 at 03:46 AM. )

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2014, 07:21 AM

Safari says 7.0.5

I think you need to update your signature? You're not on 10.6.8 anymore, right?

akent35 - your signature needs an update as well!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2014, 07:21 AM

The only reason to check for updates manually, let alone frequently, is when a mission critical system is giving you problems. If there is a security issue with an OS X app, Apple usually is the first to notice and publish it, along with (usually) a fix or workaround. I'm not saying that Zero Day events don't happen, but they are exceedingly rare, especially with OS X.

Updates by publishers are most often tweaks or minor bug fixes - to bugs most users are never aware of - with important ones like major new features or security fixes being very well publicized and not requiring users to check manually. And release-day updates are more likely to break other things than "create a new and exciting user experience!!!" because no publisher (Apple included) can possibly test any app against the nearly infinite possible variations in users' systems and installed software. Being too eager to install updates can (not always, but can) cause havoc and cost you a lot of time just figuring out what happened.

If one wants to spend time manually checking for updates, that's a personal preference. But from a security and software management perspective it's not a very efficient use of one's time.

Anyway it looks like the OP's question is answered, his problem is solved, and he's going to live happily ever after. Unless there is some other technical issue that is apropos Jeff's question, I think we're done here.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2014, 09:23 AM

I'm not in a hole. I'm WAY above it. It's others that are in a huge hole. And, looks like some more examples of "Stupid is as stupid does". Good, as they make me smile!
One of us fixed the original poster's problem.

The other checks for updates for all his software three times a day.

Your call.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2014, 11:29 AM

This has got to be another sock puppet. Unreal.

-t

akent35
Banned
Jul 10, 2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
akent35 - your signature needs an update as well!
Why? I do post maturely, and on topic. It's when others make inappropriate posts directed at me that requires action.

akent35
Banned
Jul 10, 2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
If there is a security issue with an OS X app, Apple usually is the first to notice and publish it, along with (usually) a fix or workaround.
For Apple apps, yes. But, for most 3rd party apps, that is not always the case.

Updates by publishers are most often tweaks or minor bug fixes - to bugs most users are never aware of - with important ones like major new features or security fixes being very well publicized and not requiring users to check manually. And release-day updates are more likely to break other things than "create a new and exciting user experience!!!" because no publisher (Apple included) can possibly test any app against the nearly infinite possible variations in users' systems and installed software. Being too eager to install updates can (not always, but can) cause havoc and cost you a lot of time just figuring out what happened.
For those apps that state the update should be installed as soon as possible (usually security updates), that is what I do. For OS updates from Apple, I definitely wait a day or two. For other apps, sometimes I install them right away, sometimes I wait. I have never had an issue.

If one wants to spend time manually checking for updates, that's a personal preference. But from a security and software management perspective it's not a very efficient use of one's time.
Wow, it takes all but one click to select the bookmark for Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps - Discover & Download : MacUpdate, and then look at it! All of that might take me 30 to 45 seconds. That seems like good management of my free time.

Anyway it looks like the OP's question is answered, his problem is solved, and he's going to live happily ever after. Unless there is some other technical issue that is apropos Jeff's question, I think we're done here.
True, and I am going to live happily ever after. Yes, we are done.

akent35
Banned
Jul 10, 2014, 11:46 AM

This has got to be another sock puppet. Unreal.

-t
Yeah, one of these is you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sock...w=1440&bih=722

I think it's this one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sock...2F%3B475%3B284

P
Jul 10, 2014, 12:17 PM

I think we're done.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules