Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How long until you passed your driving test.

How long until you passed your driving test.
Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2006, 08:41 PM

Boys and girls i am depressed and feel pathetic.I just failed it for the third time over an hour ago.The first 2 times i got under 90 for my score.You need plus 90 to pass.No i got in the 70s.I practiced for ages to make it perfect beforehand and failed.I am not sure if i am being blacklisted or what(i am paranoid as well) after emailing the head inspecting supervisor and told her of the attitude and temperment of the first inspector.Her response was "ohh well".I felt abandoned by my instructor who i had booked with to use his car but another client had then booked for the same time and didnt want to trade placed becuase he to has failed 3 times.I had to resort to asking a neighbour for his car which is a similar make and he was nice enough to go.He's adamant that i will get it but i am running out of patience.

Share you stories if you like to cheer me up please.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2006, 08:47 PM

It sounds like Australian driving standards are really tough.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 10:12 PM

I don't remember having a problem with the test. My problem are was parallel parking.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2006, 10:18 PM

Never had a problem with licensing, got mine right on my 16th birthday. The US will give a license to pretty much anyone. :shrug:

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2006, 10:21 PM

I passed at 15 on my first try. Of course, American driving regs are so stupidly simple to pass that you could probably run over a pedestrian during the test and still get by. I was run off the road 7 times in the first 2 years I had my license, and have been hit by other drivers twice while I was STOPPED. Be grateful your standards are a bit higher.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2006, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.I guess my problems is the reverse parking or what you call parallel parking.I mean one instructor says this another says that.My neighbour showed me the method i was first told buy a family friend but then was told to abandon it buy my instructor.I dont think Australia's "tough laws" are necessarily a deterent.I mean we have just as many lunatics as the states.I see kids younger than me who got the license driving like maniacs while the police couldnt give a damn.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 7, 2006, 10:50 PM

Parallel parking requires some mental readjustment; you need to have a grasp of where the off rear corner of the car is while you're driving. Use that side mirror! Some people like to put a high visibility flag on the corner fo that bumper so they KNOW where it is-if it helps you practice and get used to the place in space you're taking up.

The key for me was knowing how far forward to go before backing into the space. I had troubles for years until my son told us about his lesson-just pull up until your rear wheels are about at the rear of the car you're parking behind. WOW! A brilliant light shone on me and angels sang a lovely hymn. Really, it was that critical to my understanding! The next time I had a chance I nailed the spot perfectly; centered between the front and rear cars and just inches from the curb.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2006, 10:50 PM

Americans have more trouble using ATMs than getting their liscense.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 7, 2006, 11:00 PM

Passed both written and driving test 1st time out.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Parallel parking requires some mental readjustment; you need to have a grasp of where the off rear corner of the car is while you're driving. Use that side mirror! Some people like to put a high visibility flag on the corner fo that bumper so they KNOW where it is-if it helps you practice and get used to the place in space you're taking up.

The key for me was knowing how far forward to go before backing into the space. I had troubles for years until my son told us about his lesson-just pull up until your rear wheels are about at the rear of the car you're parking behind. WOW! A brilliant light shone on me and angels sang a lovely hymn. Really, it was that critical to my understanding! The next time I had a chance I nailed the spot perfectly; centered between the front and rear cars and just inches from the curb.

Yeah i was first told this method you are refering to.But then was told to do antoher method by instructor.ahh this is a nightmare

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Passed both written and driving test 1st time out.
A written one to get a provisinal licesnse u mean.They do that on computers here.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 11:03 PM

Got my permit with very high score. During the driving test to get my license 7 months later, I almost failed completely because the instructor told me to turn left at a road that I didn't even see. I kept on going straight and he got madder! When I asked what the problem was, he said why didn't I take the immediate next left after the one I missed, and I just said I was waiting for him to tell me again, I assume nothing on a road I don't know at all.

It all came out well, though, because I aced everything else. Took out a cute girl for a date that weekend
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Mar 7, 2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
I don't remember having a problem with the test. My problem are was parallel parking.
not to mention spelling.
It took me 3 tries to pass. The frist time I almost hit a guy when I pulled out of the parking lot. The second time I drove on the wrong side of the road (I excused it by saying I had just gotten back from a month in japan 2 days earlier, which was true).
My friend told me his brother's friend took his test in the middle of a snowfall so visibility was pretty low. A deer had jumped out onto the road, he hit the deer and failed the test because of it. Hardly fair I think.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Americans have more trouble using ATMs than getting their liscense.
And more watch American Idol than vote or watch the Olympics

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

rparke1
Banned
Mar 7, 2006, 11:19 PM

my first driver licsense test was a nightmare. the person that the lady failed before me got all in her face and she was really pissed off when she tested me, and a jerk decided to run a red light so i had to put on my brakes so i wouldnt run into the jerk, not hard or anything, and she failed me because someone behind me honked and she said that since that person honked it ment that i blocked traffic and thats an automatic failure.
second time i passed.
had to take the written a couple of times to pass. got like a 40 something the first time than an 81 the second time so i passed. thats my drivers liscence story.

good luck with getting it, youll do it though, and youll love the freedom it gives you.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 11:26 PM

I took a class in high school, like half an hour a day after school for like two weeks. Took the pen and paper test one day, and the driving test the next. No issues, passed without a crash.

macroy
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul
Of course, American driving regs are so stupidly simple to pass...
No Sh*t. At least some states test you on the road. Here in good o'l Maryland, you get to take a test on a "test course" where you are the only car present. To pass this test - you need to do a 3 point turn, parallel park, and be able to use your signals, stop, reverse, and turn. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

If I had my way, performance driving/emergency handling would be mandatory courses before you get your license. And you'd be tested every few years... But I'm sure AARP pays some lobbyists to make sure that doesn't happen.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 11:28 PM

My driving test was stupidly easy. They asked more questions about alcohol and drinking than they did about driving. Then again, the kids in my driver's Ed. class were possibly the dumbest bunch of people I've ever met. If the test was any harder and a large population wouldn't be driving.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 11:44 PM

it took me two times to get my drivers license - the first time i failed because of my parrallel parking and i didnt slow down in a school zone - opps i believe i passed my written test for my permit the first time

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 11:50 PM

passed at 16 on first try...however my older sis never got her's cause she failed 3 times, once scraping the side of the car on a short stone wall...eeks

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 11:53 PM

Passed the written test in about five minutes... failed my first driver's test (just utterly terrified) and passed a week later.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 12:02 AM

Does the US have graduated licensing?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2006, 12:03 AM

Passed it easily, first try, age 17.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 12:33 AM

My high school had eliminated driver's ed from the budget, but my parents had me take a private course. Unfortunately, I haven't had to parallel park in ages, so I'm not sure the method I was taught would actually come back to me.

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Does the US have graduated licensing?
In some states, yes, drivers under a certain age have some restrictions placed on their license (can't drive alone after a certain time of night or something).

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2006, 12:43 AM

Got my provisional the day I turned 17 (legal age here). Had a couple of months lessons then went for the test. Passed first time.

Thankfully, there was no parallel parking involved. I'm still completely useless at it (since I almost never park on the side of the road).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

volcano
Senior User
Mar 8, 2006, 02:45 AM

I took my Driver's Ed course a few months before I turned 16. As soon as I turned 16, I passed with flying colors.

My instructors were characters. My parallel parking lesson? He drove us (my then-girlfriend, who I met in that class) to downtown Austin, and told us that we had to park in every parallel spot that we could find for 60 minutes straight. To make matters worse, we had to park at every spot we found - no matter how inappropriate or small the space was. Needless to say, I can parallel park quite well now - but that was the hour from hell.

meelk
Baninated
Mar 8, 2006, 02:47 AM

I failed the first time. I was taken to a little paved off road, about a lane and a half wide, and was asked to do a 3 point turn. I happened to be driving one of the old Impala "land yachts". Needless to say, things didnt go well. I borrowed a much smaller car for try #2

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2006, 03:03 AM

My parallel park was awesome, but my 90° back-up was a nightmare. I had to inch my way in and out of that spot at least 3 times. I still passed on my first try though.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 03:32 AM

Yeah, I had to do a 3 point turn, parallel park, back up 50 feet, hand signals, and drive around the city.

The parallel parking was tough because it was in a Pathfinder. I had never paralleled it. I had only parallel parked the small drivers ed car in a non-busy road, not a busy city in an SUV.

The backing up thing was stupid. I had to pack up along the curb for 50 feet (or something like that) and I had to stay the same distance fron the curb the whole time.

They even make the start of the test annoying. You park in a very narrow parking lot at and angle. When you back out of the spot, they fail you if you don't turn around and look out the back or if you try to exit via the entrance which isn't even very obvious. Those happened to 2 of my friends and they let me know about it before I took mine.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Dr.Michael
Mar 8, 2006, 06:03 AM

In germany we have a hard test. Theoretical examination after 10 evenings of lectures to learn the rules and signs plus practical driving lessons. 10 hours are obligatory (night drive, highway etc.). The problem: You can only start with the obligatory hours after you know how to handle a car. So you have to take some hours to practise before.

The average 18 year old needs 28 driving hours (at 45 € each). If you are older the average goes up. Rule of thumb: your age = number of hours + the ten obligatory hours.

But: My teacher told me that one of his pupils scores at 100 hours (=4500 €) and has already failed the examination three times (after three failures you need to see a psychologist to find out if you are really mentally capable to drive a car - but remember - we have roads without speed limit: you are allowed to drive 150 mph if you want). And with this licence you are allowed to drive trucks up to 7.5 tons of weight (I did that once - not funny).

I personally got my licence with 32 and needed 14 hours, everything without problems.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2006, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
In germany we have a hard test. Theoretical examination after 10 evenings of lectures to learn the rules and signs plus practical driving lessons. 10 hours are obligatory (night drive, highway etc.). The problem: You can only start with the obligatory hours after you know how to handle a car. So you have to take some hours to practise before.

The average 18 year old needs 28 driving hours (at 45 € each). If you are older the average goes up. Rule of thumb: your age = number of hours + the ten obligatory hours.

But: My teacher told me that one of his pupils scores at 100 hours (=4500 €) and has already failed the examination three times (after three failures you need to see a psychologist to find out if you are really mentally capable to drive a car - but remember - we have roads without speed limit: you are allowed to drive 150 mph if you want). And with this licence you are allowed to drive trucks up to 7.5 tons of weight (I did that once - not funny).

I personally got my licence with 32 and needed 14 hours, everything without problems.

I have been told of the tough nature of german driving schools.And also about the psychological exams.Thats far out man.45 € do you know how much that might equate to in Australia dollar?.Since i payed $37 dollars a lesson but i have seen instructors charge up to $65 a lesson.For the tests do you drive a set course on the streets or do they take you any where.

Dr.Michael
Mar 8, 2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam
I have been told of the tough nature of german driving schools.And also about the psychological exams.Thats far out man.45 € do you know how much that might equate to in Australia dollar?.Since i payed $37 dollars a lesson but i have seen instructors charge up to $65 a lesson.For the tests do you drive a set course on the streets or do they take you any where.
45 Euros = 73 Australien $.
The price varies also here. You can get it for 35 and for 50.
The test and the training can be anywhere. Its completely up to the tester and trainer. Only your first lesson is in a secure area where you cannot hit someone.

storer
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 07:37 AM

Whats the average age you get your licence in the U.S?

We can get Learners permits at 16 (must drive with a fully licensed driver), probationary licences (can drive alone) at 18 (17 in some states, but there is a probationary licence 1+2, the 1 has more restrictions on what kind of car you can drive), and then full license three years after you got your probatnary.

I got my learners permit a month or two ago. I'm doing alright, no close calls. Yet.

macroy
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by storer

We can get Learners permits at 16 (must drive with a fully licensed driver), probationary licences (can drive alone) at 18 (17 in some states, but there is a probationary licence 1+2, the 1 has more restrictions on what kind of car you can drive), and then full license three years after you got your probatnary.

I got my learners permit a month or two ago. I'm doing alright, no close calls. Yet.
Last time I checked... In Maryland you can get your learners permit at 15 and 9 months - basically pass the written. This allows you to operate a vehicle as long as there's somone 21 years or older in the car.

At 16, you can go for your provisional by passing the practical. Provisional requires you to only drive between the hours of 5am to 12am or something like that (unless a fully licensed person is with you). Having your provisional for 12 months without a traffic violation gets you a normal license.

I remember some group was trying to raise the driving age to 18 here in MD after a string of accidents involving HS aged kids wrappng their cars around trees.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by storer

So you got your L's.How old are you if you dont mind me asking?Since your from oz from what you here is it a disadvantage not using an instructors car as opposed to a faimly or friends car.I have been told this before.When i walked up to counter and he asked some questions and asked driving school or family car and i answered he had this blank look on his face.

Dr.Michael
Mar 8, 2006, 09:14 AM

16 is way too young.

In germany it is 18, but thats also too young.
Insurance is incredibly high for the youngsters because their accident statistics is so bad.

With motorcycles you are only allowed to drive 27 hp (I guess) for the first years. This is needed also for cars.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2006, 09:36 AM

Insurance is incredibly high for the youngsters because their accident statistics is so bad.
Yes, and in the US insurance generally doesn't start going down until you're 25, which is too old to start learning.

18 isn't "too young." It's just that people think they're invincible when they're 18.

I didn't get my license until I was 22 (never needed to drive until then). My brother got his when he was 16.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2006, 11:10 AM

Rob, don't give up. Maybe you need to find something that helps you to get your level of stress under control. Some people fail tests not because they don't know, but because they are so stressed out that they are like the deer in the headlight.

-t

euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 12:18 PM

Sorry to hear about your story bro. My story is not great, but the guy giving me the test had hundreds of tumors in his left arm. It distracted me greatly as it looked like his arm was a dog chew toy. I just tried to ignore it and I did pass. I must have stared at his arm a lot though. I tried to look away but my look away skills were weak.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2006, 01:39 PM

My dad got some kind of relaxing medication after failing 3 times, he passed the fourth.

It took me 10 business days to get my license(from first lesson to exam), I was 23 at the time though, never needed it before that.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

storer
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 04:39 PM

So you got your L's.How old are you if you dont mind me asking?Since your from oz from what you here is it a disadvantage not using an instructors car as opposed to a faimly or friends car.I have been told this before.When i walked up to counter and he asked some questions and asked driving school or family car and i answered he had this blank look on his face.
I'm 16. I don't really think there's an advantage or disadvantage in using an instructors car or not. I know that I probably will have to use an instructors car, because our family cars are an '05 Fairlane and an '04 V8 Statesman, so I can't drive the Statesman (power-to-weight ratio is not right) and they're both automatic (and I want a manual licence when I go for the test).

My stepdad's idea is that I will have lessons a month or so before (my 18th birthday present) and up to the date, so that I'm 100% sure about it all, and then use the instructors car on the day. I think I should be able to pass first time, but hey, who knows what'll happen.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2006, 01:24 AM

Just a quick update. I passed my test today. I guess after my previous long rant i should be a little grateful things are more stringent here.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 02:25 AM

In Texas you can get a learner's permit at age 15, but you must have it for 6 months before you can get your license.

I did the "at home" driver training, which basically consisted of my parents signing a paper that said I had trained with them for 30 hours of driving. Passed test first time, and haven't gotten in an accident yet.

One thing I did do, however, was take my first car out for a rough joy ride. We had a nearby nerighborhood in development with just the roads laid down, and I tore it up out there. You learn a lot about driving (and your car in particular) when doing handbrake turns going 50. I still think this sort of training should be required to receive a driver's license, sort of as an "extreme scenario" test.

Dr.Michael
Apr 7, 2006, 02:59 AM

Just a quick update. I passed my test today. I guess after my previous long rant i should be a little grateful things are more stringent here.
Congratulations!
Now, drive carfully (for a couple of years)

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2006, 05:08 AM

Congratulations!
Now, drive carfully (for a couple of years)

I know thats what everyone has just reminded me off(including my dad).Once again everyone thanks for your kind words.

Dr.Michael
Apr 7, 2006, 05:44 AM

I know thats what everyone has just reminded me off(including my dad).Once again everyone thanks for your kind words.
Yes, thats important indeed.
The first weeks are ok, because you feel yourself that you don't really control the car. After the first weeks you will get the feeling to be very powerful. Don't give in. It is wrong.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 07:32 AM

Congrats, now see the car as a friend, it is not a race machine like some people would like to tell you. Care about everyone at the streets even when some drivers are going to annoy you and are going to be not that polite, you don't need to care about such facts.

Just remember, safety first.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 09:20 AM

Aced the written part, got a few marks on the driven. Passed the first time.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 09:21 AM

There is a reason for that... if you can make thru the first 4-5 years, you should be OK until you are 60+ (statically speaking).

Forum Links
Forum Rules