Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Suspicious apparition in system folder...

Suspicious apparition in system folder...
chomi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2001, 11:04 PM

there is an invisible file in my preferences folder called "__??!!Hello!!??__" and i really wonder what it might be, does anyone have any idea?

i discovered the same file in my old mac running 8.5, and quickly trashed it, then i got a new mac and after a few days... aargh! the return of the damned invisible file. my anti-virus says everything's allright, and the file has no resource fork - it is just very strange. thanks for any help!

H�rnchen
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2001, 03:49 AM

Probably an application you installed makes this. Have you tried to look for folders/files that have the same creation/modification date as your "Hello"?
Or do you remember what you installed that day?
Murphy's Second Corollary:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Cipher13
Aug 27, 2001, 07:22 AM

What is the type and creator of this file?

If you don't mind sending it to me, could you?

If you feel it may contain private info, then don't.

I'd just like to see if its a running process, what it is, etc...
Run it through a few hoops...

<chomi>
Aug 27, 2001, 11:27 AM

hello,
your help is very appreciated!

says H�rnchen : Have you tried to look for folders/files that have the same creation/modification date as your "Hello"?

this is a very good idea - i will verify this when i get home, it may very well be something i installed (i did installed a few things that day, in my search for the perfect sims skin

Cipher13 : creator/type are "????", and the file size is 0kb, no resource fork. thanks for your kind offer - if i can't figure out which application created it using h�rnchen's tip, i will send it to you.

nathalie

Forum Links
Forum Rules