Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is a headset necessary for iChat/Skype ?

Is a headset necessary for iChat/Skype ?
hab
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2008, 02:59 PM

My wife is going to Portugal for 6 weeks and I am setting her up with iChat and Skype so she can stay in touch with the children and me. We will keep the iMac at home and she will travel with the MacBook. Do folks have an any experience with or an opinion about whether buying a headset for her is advisable for the audio connection. Thanks much.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2008, 03:02 PM

You don't need a headset. It works fine with the notebook's built-in mic and speakers. However, if both sides use this method, I always get ugly feedback and background noise that seems to get louder as the conversation continues. One party having just earbuds or headphones helps a lot.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 04:23 PM

Headphones and the internal mic works well for me.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2008, 11:22 PM

Never need headphones with iChat... video chat all the time with no problem.

Skype, however, is a different story. Tremendous feedback without headphones. Built-in mic is fine... just need headphones so that the sound doesn't get picked up by the mic.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

Cold Warrior
Feb 22, 2008, 11:44 PM

Yes. I should have added that I use Skype.

hab  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2008, 12:47 PM

Many thanks for the practical tips, all. We will see how the connection works across the "pond".

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by hab View Post
Many thanks for the practical tips, all. We will see how the connection works across the "pond".
As long as the pond is within the range of your wireless network you should be fine.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2008, 08:46 AM

I find that with our iMac we don't need headphones with Skype, the connection is crystal clear without. With the MBP I normally use a bluetooth headset which works extremely well.

hab  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2008, 04:28 PM

Sorry but the reference to the "pond" is old east coast vernacular for the Atlantic Ocean. My wife is in Lisbon and the Skype connection is great between my iMac C2D at home and her MacBook in Lisbon - almost as good as when we were testing from upstairs to downstairs within our house. We are not using headsets or earphones and there is no apparent quality issue. We were surprised to find that there is no apparent delay in the voice communication - unlike US phone to Europe phone conversations I have had in the past though phone conversations have improved in the past few years. The miracle of modern communications ...

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 08:23 AM

Hab, I was joking.

Fyi if you both have macs you will get a much better result with iChat and AIM accounts.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Hab, I was joking.

Fyi if you both have macs you will get a much better result with iChat and AIM accounts.
In my experience Skype sound quality is far superior to iChat. Having said that, I haven't used iChat for about a year and maybe it has improved recently.

Forum Links
Forum Rules