Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > nano the refuses to reset, help?

nano the refuses to reset, help?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2009, 10:22 AM

Hi All,

I've got a Nano here that won't reset, and I could use some help (not sure which generation: it's got a white plastic front, and a squared off shiny metal back, 2GB).

It was acting odd (wouldn't take a charge and menus were "being strange", or so I was told by the main user), so I tried to reset it: "hold" switch on, then off, then hold down "select" and "menu" for 8 seconds until the Apple logo appears. I got that sequence from here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1320

No luck, it's stuck with a huge battery logo on screen with a "charging" lighting bolt inside, the word "charging" at the top of the screen, and the lock icon in the top left. The reset sequence isn't working, and even plugging it in to a Mac doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions? (no, I'd rather not stomp on it until it's a random mess of components scattered around the room... though I've seriously thought about it).

Many thanks in advance,

Chas
( Last edited by chasg; Feb 4, 2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: fixed some typos :-/)

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2009, 12:35 PM

Chas--Have you tried leaving it on until the battery is out of juice? Not sure if it will help in your case but I've gotten iPods back in working order by running the batteries down all the way.

Another perspective:
I've had a similar problem crop every so often in the last month on my original iPhone. I can't shut it off or reset it and sometimes it won't charge or be recognized by iTunes. I finally took it in to the Genius Bar. They wound up examining the connector pins with a tool that reminded me of what a doctor uses to look in your ears. The genius determined that the connectors had gotten wet and had developed some corrosion. He left it at "replace it or live with the electrical gremlins."

The iPhone did get damp once. About 5 months ago, I had to work outside for a couple of hours one Saturday when we had torrential downpours (literally, remnants of two hurricanes). I forgot that the iPhone was in the pocket of my shorts. The iPhone got damp and, unfortunately, it was sitting the pocket connector-side up.

Not sure how close you are to any of the Apple Stores in London, but it may be worth a visit.

QS

Forum Links
Forum Rules