Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I bet the whore is kicking herself

I bet the whore is kicking herself (Page 2)
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2004, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Should have people condemned me ...
"Condemn", meaning to death?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 10:30 PM

"Condemn" meaning to death. (What he stopped from happening. One of the main reasons I am not for the DP)

He however did call her a sinner, and told her to sin no more.
Look up condemn in the dictionary - the primary definition is "to disapprove." Thus the passage could be construed to mean "condemn the sin, not the sinner."

My point is not that you're wrong, but that the Bible, like any text, is largely what people make of it. This is a good example. We might both be right, according to our respective interpretations. This is why I laugh when people try to tell me that they know exactly what the Bible says and means.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2004, 10:35 PM

This thread is now about religion... oh wait...

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jul 29, 2004, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
You claimed I was condemning said women. If that is the case, I too was being condemned. Right? Right.

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
This thread is now about religion... oh wait...
Yeah funny how it works that way.

Like I said, some people have no restraint.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 10:50 PM

Yeah - looks like he was using my definition of the word while arguing a different one.

But I'd be the last to want someone to feel guilty because of a Bible passage. If Zimphire wants to use the word whore, it's OK with me. In fact, if he asked me, I'd buy him one.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jul 29, 2004, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Yeah - looks like he was using my definition of the word while arguing a different one.
That was MY def too. But I don't think it was the original one he used to condemn me with.

ohwell.wav

I apologize to anyone I offended by calling this lady of low virtue a whore.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 11:02 PM

I apologize to anyone I offended by calling this lady of low virtue a whore.
I wouldn't worry about it too much - I think people were just surprised to see you being . . . naughty. But I approve.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2004, 11:38 PM

You claimed I was condemning said women.
Are you sure that's what I said? I believe I said

I'm sorry, but how do you know the shoe fits? You only have one side of the story. Perhaps he was cheating as well? Perhaps he was wasting so much time and money on lottery tickets that he was no longer paying attention to her anymore? Perhaps he was abusive, either physically or mentally? Furthermore, even if he was a model husband, her having an affair does not necessarily make her a "whore"; "whore" or "slut" implies that she was having multiple affairs simultaneously.

Finally, "whore" isn't the sort of word I expect to come out of the mouth of someone who claims to have the religious convictions you claim to have. It even isn't a word I would ever choose to label someone with, and I don't claim to have half the moral convictions you would (by virtue of the religious beliefs you claim to subscribe to)
In short, what I was saying is that you are labelling this fictitious woman a whore while only knowing a small part of the fictitious story.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2004, 11:44 PM

Again, would it have been ok if the topic would have said

"I bet the sinner is kicking herself?"
I think an acceptable title would have been "I bet the cheating wife is kicking herself"

OH-N'omac
Jul 29, 2004, 11:50 PM

I think an acceptable title would have been "I bet the cheating wife is kicking herself"
Whore is more vivid and just as descriptive. It is a good word. Short, direct, falls right out of the mouth. W-H-O-R-E. This is as stupid as the "goddamnit" police who were here last week. Whore is a good word, a dependable word, it's practically timeless. Shakespeare used it. It's entirely acceptable.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jul 30, 2004, 12:42 AM

In short, what I was saying is that you are labelling this fictitious woman a whore while only knowing a small part of the fictitious story.
And I said that anyone who cheats on their spouse has very low morals.

No matter WHAT reason.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 12:56 AM

This thread is now about...

Never mind, tooki doesn't have a sense of humor.

Continue arguing over a made up story about infidelity and the lottery.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 02:42 AM

well, whether this story is made up or not, if something like this ever happened to me (luckily it hasn't), - "whore" would be one of the nicer things i'd call that lady of "low morals". i can think of a couple of other words, especially one that starts with a "c"...

cheating (and this is actually what the whole story is about), is for the weak minded. it happens a lot with people who are too chicken$hit to break off a relationship (because that would mean you might be without a partner for a while) and then start fu<kin' around hoping it will change things (which it never does). the only thing it accomplishes is to seriously f*-up the ones that wind up on the wrong end of the deal.

and "whore". meh. that term is just a bit out-dated.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 03:01 AM

He however did call her a sinner, and told her to sin no more.
Huh? Yeah, he told her to sin no more, but where in that passage does he start calling her names?

And anyway, "whore" is a much more offensive and insulting word than "sinner", even if he had said that. According to Christian theology, we're all sinners, right?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jul 30, 2004, 12:42 PM

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 12:48 PM

Pff.

"A woman of questionable integrity" would be more appropriate.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
and "whore". meh. that term is just a bit out-dated.
Exactly

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jul 30, 2004, 01:41 PM

OH-N'omac
Jul 30, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
...and "whore". meh. that term is just a bit out-dated.
Er, why? Because a few posters say it is?

I still hear it in use regularly. Seriously, how has this word passed its expiration date?

Does every word have to be replaced with a poly-syllabic-politically-correct substitute?

What's next? Does "thief" have to be replaced with "one with poor respect for ownership rights"?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by OH-N'omac:

I still hear it in use regularly. Seriously, how has this word passed its expiration date?

Does every word have to be replaced with a poly-syllabic-politically-correct substitute?

What's next? Does "thief" have to be replaced with "one with poor respect for ownership rights"?
I think the cultural definition of "whore" is changing from what the dictionary definition. The dictionary definition does indeed match Zimp's use of the word, however I think many associate "whore" with prostitution not infidelity.

OH-N'omac
Jul 30, 2004, 03:21 PM

I think the cultural definition of "whore" is changing from what the dictionary definition. The dictionary definition does indeed match Zimp's use of the word, however I think many associate "whore" with prostitution not infidelity.
Why should people who know what the word means stop using it for the benefit of those who are ignorant of its meaning?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 03:28 PM

Why should people who know what the word means stop using it for the benefit of those who are ignorant of its meaning?
Of course, the evolution of language will be regional.

OH-N'omac
Jul 30, 2004, 03:39 PM

Of course, the evolution of language will be regional.
You didn't answer my question. Besides, the internet is above regional territory. Maybe you could be more tolerant of people who use words correctly?

Mr. Bob
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2004, 03:53 PM

Ok, there seems to be a tad bit of contention of how to rate a woman who cheats on her husband. Trust me its simple. Lets take our promiscuous friend Sally. I will also use the word ho instead of whore.

If you cheat on your husband, you are a ho.
Sally cheated on her husband.
� Sally is a ho.

You see, when two people decide to get married, they create a contract (one that is moral) between each other. One part of said contract is, no outside nookie. Both people agree to refrain from such nookie for the entire duration of the marriage (which is until one or the other, or both dies). Failing to do so means that you really deserve the term, ho.

Now, you say �ho� is too harsh? I say it is not harsh enough. Personally I think if a woman cheats on her husband, there should be a red letter �A� tattooed onto her forehead. Also, the insidious woman deserves nothing. Not a penny, and should be cast out into the world wearing only what is on her back. Then people can throw rotten cabbages and such at her while she shamefully crawls through the street, on the way to the garbage heap to live out her last days as the ho she decided to be.

Now what about dudes getting there cheat-on? I guess the �A� thing could work. What do you all think?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 04:03 PM

You didn't answer my question. Besides, the internet is above regional territory. Maybe you could be more tolerant of people who use words correctly?
Definitions of words change over time as culture evolves. Yes, perhaps I could be a little more tolerant of people who use words the old way ... but perhaps those people could be a little more aware of the evolution of language and that their definition may no long be appropriate to others. Tolerance is, of course, a two way street.

The problem with the word "whore" is that through it's evolution it has come to be used as an insult. As a result, it's dictionary appropriate use is no longer culturally appropriate to some. It is difficult to tell when one is using it as an insult or in it's appropriate dictionary meaning.

Mr. Bob
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2004, 04:17 PM

Definitions of words change over time as culture evolves. Yes, perhaps I could be a little more tolerant of people who use words the old way ... but perhaps those people could be a little more aware of the evolution of language and that their definition may no long be appropriate to others. Tolerance is, of course, a two way street.

The problem with the word "whore" is that through it's evolution it has come to be used as an insult. As a result, it's dictionary appropriate use is no longer culturally appropriate to some. It is difficult to tell when one is using it as an insult or in it's appropriate dictionary meaning.
Um, if you cheat on your husband, you deserve to be called an insult. Insults are supposed to "insult" people as punishment. That�s how the system works.

Example.

Rick and nefarious Bill are playing Monopoly. The nefarious Bill gets caught taking an extra $1 bill from the till. Rick now calls the nefarious bill a cheater. Nefarious Bill deserves this insulting comment, because, well, he cheated.

Flash Forward to today�s debate.

John, and promiscuous Betty are married. John catches promiscuous Betty getting banged in the shower while coming home from work early. Promiscuous Betty has been caught doing something bad, and now must be punished. For this, she now is given the completely socially acceptable title of whore.

The reason for this is because a wife that does not cheat should not be given the same respect as one who does cheat. So something must be don�t to lower the respect of the cheating woman. So faithful Jessica can just be called Jessica. As most women should be faithful, calling all wife�s faithful [insert name here] would be extremely redundant.

However, promiscuous Betty needs to be treated differently. And saying promiscuous Betty would get overly annoying as it is quite a mouthful. So promiscuous Betty can just be known as. Whore. Makes everything easier.

Also, the word whore was always an insult. Such as not changed. For some reason you dislike that word, but the English language is created from standards. Anything outside of the dictionary is slang, and should be treated as such. Agreeing to anything else is not tolerance, it is ignorance.
Hope that now makes sense for you.

OH-N'omac
Jul 30, 2004, 04:21 PM

I'll meet you half-way:The word can have either meaning. It's up to the reader to decipher it. "Trees" is a slang word in my region for something that is not a tree. The old meaning still works well though, and I wouldn't expect someone from 100's of miles away to keep up with the 'evolved' meaning.

Sorry if I beat this into the ground, nothing personal towards you or anyone else. Censorship of the language hits a sore spot of mine, especially when the words in question are perfectly good ones.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 04:58 PM

I'll meet you half-way
Half-way is fine by me.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Bob:
Um, if you cheat on your husband, you deserve to be called an insult. Insults are supposed to "insult" people as punishment. That�s how the system works.
The only person who has the right to "punish" a cheating spouse is the spouse being cheated on.

Mr. Bob
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2004, 05:08 PM

The only person who has the right to "punish" a cheating spouse is the spouse being cheated on.
Rightfully so, and husbands should punish their cheating wives by giving them the title of whore. And, I know if I were said husband, part of such punishment is allowing the entire world to refer to the woman as her newly received title, one which she deserves.

Glad we agree.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2004, 05:27 PM

I think there's a literal meaning, as in "prostitute," and a more figurative meaning, as in "slut." I agree that it's probably a bit harsh to apply to any woman who commits adultery, I just thought it was funny that Zimphire used it. I still say we should all chip in and buy him one.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 05:34 PM

Why is everyone taking the word "whore" so literally? To me, it can be used as an insult, whether or not it's used to the extent of how it's defined. This thread should have died already. +1

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jul 30, 2004, 05:44 PM

Of course, Political Correctness has made liars of us all.

I don't think really it's the word itself. It's who said it. Had someone else said it, I am sure nothing would have been said, or less of a deal would have been made out of it.

The fact that this thread has lasted this long, and it's about bitching over the usage of the word whore is quite silly.

Some people need to get chips off their shoulders, and stop knee-jerking about every petty thing that passes their way.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2004, 10:38 PM

I wouldn't call her a whore. I've got much more respect for "working girls" than I do for a cheating slut. Calling her a whore is an insult to decent whores everywhere.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 09:35 AM

Of course, Political Correctness has made liars of us all.
actually, using language has made liars of us all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules