Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do You Think Its Good?

Do You Think Its Good?
live18
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 06:59 PM

Do you think this Ram is good for my Macbook. Link

Staren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 08:01 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't touch that if they paid 'me'. They don't say anything about what brand of memory it is, what voltage it runs at, or much of anything useful. And the only assurance you have is their word. I'd just get two of these and be done with it. Cheaper, a trusted brand, and a reseller that has a long standing rep.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM Notebook Memory - Retail

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 11, 2007, 08:25 PM

stay away from those generic ram. i would stick with newegg (where you can read reviews) or to buy from forum members.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 11, 2007, 10:57 PM

I wouldn't say "stay away from generic RAM," but I would say STAY AWAY FROM BUYING RAM ON eBAY!!! If you were to buy the same stuff from a reputable vendor online, you'd have some sort of recourse. Not with eBay though. It's rigged to keep eBay and by extension the vendors who sell on eBay out of trouble.

If it looks too good a deal to be true, it most likely is.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

socosurf4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 01:28 PM

Yeah, Ive never heard of that company. I would go with anything you see at your local computer store. I personally have two 1GB sticks in my Macbook from PNY.

Never had a single issue yet!

If you really wanna be safe and know you have quality ram, go with Corsair.
White Macbook 1.83ghz Core Duo 2GB Ram 160GB HD
MYspace

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2007, 09:52 PM

I've bought from 18004memory many times before, although never on Ebay.

But yeah, it's safe to buy from them, despite what other people have said.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

jough
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 09:21 AM

I wouldn't buy RAM on eBay just because memory has a tendency to be BAD and then you're stuck. Many eBay sellers won't take refunds on dead RAM, and you'll be out the money and will have to go to the store to buy new memory anyway.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by jough View Post
I wouldn't buy RAM on eBay just because memory has a tendency to be BAD and then you're stuck. Many eBay sellers won't take refunds on dead RAM, and you'll be out the money and will have to go to the store to buy new memory anyway.
This is a company that has a lifetime guarantee on their RAM that has set up an Ebay shop to complement their online store. This isn't buying from some random ebayer...

kastegir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 11:13 AM

Often you can find prices in online stores close to or the same as on eBay. After looking at 2GB of RAM for my Macbook on eBay in the $140 range, I ended up buying 2 1GB modules from newegg.com for $71 each. They dropped the price to $69.99 over the weekend. It's Transcend brand and has a lifetime warranty. They also have G.Skill at the same price.

Your best tools for getting a good deal on RAM are dealram.com and pricewatch.com. They'll both help you find the best deals available. If you're really brand-sensitive, you can always pay a little more for Crucial or Kingston. They have a great reputation, though a bunch of other brands have matched the lifetime warranty.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 09:58 PM

I've purchased from 800-4-memory before. They're fine and trustworthy, having been around for years.

Chris

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2007, 11:53 PM

I just matched 2 1g ram from a 1 & .5g & the speed difference is easily noticable especially in safari

jpdalamar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2007, 12:30 AM

Agree with most above. Most people are convinced they need sticks of Crucial. They just like to pay more. Most RAM is manufactured by 3 companies, and sold under different brand names. I wouldn't by offa e-bay, either. G-Skill seems to be hitting the sweet spot on prices for me lately. And newegg can't be beat.

dihatten
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2007, 02:20 AM

I've bought from 1-800-4-memory in the past and been quite satisfied. I just bought Transcend memory for my Intel iMac from newegg.com and also been happy with it. With Intel Macs, I don't think the fussiness that Apple had with memory is still valid. In those PPC years, the memory controller was Apple's design (I believe) whereas now it is mainstream Intel. Just make sure you buy from some place that will stand behind it if, for some reason, the memory fails. Things happen. Even to good quality memory.

damnyooneek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2007, 02:23 AM

I'm using the newegg g skill ram in my macbook right now and its working great. had it for a month now and no problems

csimon2
Feb 21, 2007, 02:49 AM

Yeah, 1800memory is great and I have always been satisfied (especially the time I ordered 3 256MB chips for my MDD and they shipped out 512MB sticks instead ). I have used them from my bondi blue rev a imac to my C2D MBP, which encompasses 7 different macs. Never a problem, and I have always ordered the generic variety.

rafalski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2007, 05:52 AM

I noticed that my Patriot 2GB set caused my macbook battery to drain quicker. I even had the battery replaced, when I sent my mb for random shutdown fix. The new battery was much better (3.5hrs instead of 2), but then I realized it was running on the 2x256 RAM I put in only for the time of repair. When reinserted the Patriot 2 gig, it went back to 2 hrs.
I have yet to do proper tests, but found one more person with the same problem with Patriot RAM. Anyone else could confirm?

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2007, 09:45 AM

Dumb ?, but would two of the same memory chips being purchased from the same manufacturer in the same size/specs, etc. be matched? Wondering because some on the dealram.com pages are saying matched and some are not (looking for a 2g kit for my BlackBook). Any insight appreciated, esp. in the realm of pricing and place to buy. I'm leaning towards the gskill I suppose, but still can't tell if it would be what I want (matched and has to work w/the MacBook) since the site says "warning this is not tested w/your system but it is the same memory as used in another kit" or something like that, to paraphrase a quote

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by bobolicious View Post
I just matched 2 1g ram from a 1 & .5g & the speed difference is easily noticable especially in safari
That's more than likely a placebo effect. The difference is marginal at best, especially under normal computing conditions.

Originally Posted by Stingrey View Post
Dumb ?, but would two of the same memory chips being purchased from the same manufacturer in the same size/specs, etc. be matched? Wondering because some on the dealram.com pages are saying matched and some are not (looking for a 2g kit for my BlackBook). Any insight appreciated, esp. in the realm of pricing and place to buy. I'm leaning towards the gskill I suppose, but still can't tell if it would be what I want (matched and has to work w/the MacBook) since the site says "warning this is not tested w/your system but it is the same memory as used in another kit" or something like that, to paraphrase a quote
You don't need to buy the from the same manufacturer to get a matched pair. Matched means it's the same size (and obviously the same type of RAM). Any 1gb sticks of PC5300 ram will be matched (which 18004memory has for $65/ea right now).

Ramseeker is a great place to check RAM prices for Macs.

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2007, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the insight My 2g kit is on the way!

danviento
Feb 21, 2007, 02:23 PM

I see that there is a single 2GB stick of RAM for the Macbook. Is there 2GB sticks for the 1.67 GHz Powerbooks? Currently, I have 2 1GB sticks, and apps like photoshop and especially Pages are begging for more. I know, I know - Pages? The word processor? Well yes, in the case of putting together a 60+ page portfolio of architectural design, it was so easy to just drop in large resolution PSD's and TIFF's, but now it takes a year and a day just to add and edit a text layer on a page. Any suggestions here?

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2007, 02:43 PM

Are you sure you aren't just seeing 2g kits? I thought that the MacBook only supported up to 2gigs max? The 2g that I see are offered as kits (2x1g).

danviento
Feb 21, 2007, 04:41 PM

Ah, I see that now. Oh well. I guess you can only fit so many SO-DIMMs in the tiny memory niche of a Powerbook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules