Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > I can't believe some members of government..

I can't believe some members of government..
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2011, 06:49 AM

A dude from India is working here on a temporary work visa and is crying about immigration not allowing his adult daughter in the country because of a medical condition she has. Under the immigration laws a person is inadmissible if there is reasonably be expected to cause excessive demand on health and social services. Now you have the media and some MLA's saying this is a racist and discriminatory policy. Its not racist and while it might be a bit discriminatory I don't see why we the tax payer should be footing the bill for medical conditions that cost 500 000 a year to treat for foreigners.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

ghporter
Administrator
May 13, 2011, 07:09 AM

I'm 100% in agreement with you. The limitation targets people who have problems that could put a strain on the national health care infrastructure, not people from a specific place or of a specific ethnicity or nationality.

The U.S. years ago banned people with tuberculosis for public health reasons. It didn't matter where they were from, what their language or race were, just that they had TB. Which was manageable, even back then, though it was expensive and time consuming. Same issue, different time. The only real difference is that today people feel entitled to do what they want, without considering how that might affect the rest of the world, and they consider themselves victimized if they don't get their way.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2011, 07:23 AM

When I was watching the story tonight the first thought that raced through my head was if you don't like it pack up and go home. I was outraged at the very notion that some one on a temporary visa would feel so much entitlement as to cry about it in public and disrespect the system that allowed him to come here in the first place. The reporters first words in the story, should Canada change its immigration policies to be less exclusive and less discriminating. I guess what sells, sells. I really have no problems with banning people with costly medical problems or infectious diseases.

ghporter
Administrator
May 13, 2011, 07:31 AM

Nowadays, the idea of "news" and "reporting" are very different from the definitions of those words. Media aren't providing fair reporting of real issues, they're providing filler between commercials-filler that aims at a base level of tabloid consumers. I do not watch local news at all except for weather and disaster news (flooding, regionally odd weather, etc.) and I am very careful about national news reporting as well. If I wanted to read "The Enquirer," I would buy it. So I don't appreciate when local TV and national, network news shows provide something other than real reporting.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2011, 07:37 AM

I've been watching less and less news. I find ignorance can be a blessing. Keeping up on the world issues is depressing and its always the same. I think the turning point was the Nuclear issues in Japan. Media was over hyping it so much I found myself feeling hostile to it. Radioactive material is making its way ashore oh no.. And of course the only reason these trace amounts are detectable because of really powerful systems designed to detect nuclear weapons across the ocean. And of course leaving out the important details like how the trace amounts in the rain is one one thousands of the level of regular back ground radiation. But hey they need to sell something. Since then Ive just stop paying attention to a lot of it.

ghporter
Administrator
May 13, 2011, 07:42 AM

Yep, the media not only use the public's ignorance to sell their stuff, they reinforce it. And today, so-called reporters actually know less than a lot of the public, so they actively reduce the overall knowledge level of the public. The reactor disaster in Japan is an excellent example. Te media know neither jack nor schite about nuclear power, so any problem is "Armageddon" and that's wht they report. And the public buys it. It is sad.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
May 13, 2011, 10:07 AM

Wow, so Canada denies admission/coverage for pre-existing conditions. Interesting. Discuss.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
May 13, 2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Wow, so Canada denies admission/coverage for pre-existing conditions. Interesting. Discuss.
canada's health care system cant handle any more burden even though it is superior...

tell this person to just come to the US we allow anyone in.

sorry i couldnt help myself

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Wouldn't be an issue if the UN provided universal health care

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2011, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
canada's health care system cant handle any more burden even though it is superior...

tell this person to just come to the US we allow anyone in.

sorry i couldnt help myself
US immigration policy is the same. You can't legally immigrate to the US if you have a medical condition that is very costly to treat. Even HIV blocks immigration.

Railroader
Banned
May 14, 2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Wouldn't be an issue if the UN provided universal health care
... Or if the Federation of Planets would join the 21st century and adopt UHC.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
... Or if the Federation of Planets would join the 21st century and adopt UHC.
There's a hypospray for that.
45/47

Railroader
Banned
May 17, 2011, 01:40 PM

Well played, sir.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2011, 02:57 PM

nice to see you posting again. Did you take time off or just avoided PoL

Railroader
Banned
May 18, 2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
nice to see you posting again. Did you take time off or just avoided PoL
I swing by once a week or so. Your posting along with besson's have turned me off to the place and I can barely stand to read the drivel that's posted lately. Used to be a fun place. Now, it's insane government ranting and poop jokes.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2011, 07:04 PM

Political Lounge = Government Ranting they kinda go together....

I think your just getting old and losing your taste for online arguments.
( Last edited by Athens; May 18, 2011 at 07:13 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
May 19, 2011, 05:21 PM

I didn't say "ranting". I said "drivel". Completely different things. [/itookthebait]

Forum Links
Forum Rules