Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Adding Airport Extreme to Router...?

Adding Airport Extreme to Router...?
Bigfoot
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2009, 09:17 PM

I have three Macs connected to a cable modem using a four port linksys router. I just bought one of the new 13" Macbook Pros.

How do I hook up the laptop wirelessly... do I plug an Airport Extreme into the extra bay on the router?

Thanks for any help.
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 8, 2009, 09:58 PM

Assuming your Linksys router is all wired (like a BEFSR41), then you could do a number of things to get wireless networking going. My strongest suggestion would be to buy a wireless router, whether it's an AirPort Extreme or another brand. Remember, it doesn't require Apple networking hardware to wirelessly connect your Mac.

I'd go with a Linksys wireless router. Yes, you already have a router, but having a wireless one as well gives you a lot of flexibility, including a BUNCH of extra wired ports. The setup is pretty much identical, no matter who's hardware you go with. It is almost as simple as your "plug an AirPort Extreme into the extra bay on the router," with some configuration stuff added. And with any combination wireless/wired router (like the Extreme or any Linksys wireless router), I'd do it the other way around: use the wireless router as the "main" device, and add the wired router to it as a switch.

Decide which way you want to go and we can talk through the rest of the process.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Bigfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2009, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the response.

I ordered an Airport Extreme today. I didn't realize it has three ethernet outs on it... I should be able to supplant the router and just use the airport.

I should have everything in a few days. If I run into any snags I'll be back.
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2009, 05:21 PM

Cool. Tell us how smoothly the setup goes. The ONLY things I have against the Extreme are its price (higher than other brands that offer more wired ports), and its lack of a browser-based configuration system (you need to use the AirPort Utility, which is "non-optimal" in a number of ways). But it should be a cinch to plug in and set up, so you're on your way to wireless luxury!

Bigfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2009, 10:41 PM

Just got around to hooking up the Airport this morning...

Unboxed Airport, unplugged the Linksys router from the cable modem and three macs, put Airport in its place and plug everything in. Popped in the Airport disc, typed in passwords that I had to make up in a few places for network, guest network users etc., hit configure... DONE! Couldn't have been any easier. I seem to remember jumping thru hoops and ultimately calling Linksys support to get it up and running... back when.

I have yet to receive my Macbook Pro but the free ipod touch showed up as well so I did get to use it with the airport. Works great in every room of the house and out on the deck. At this point I have to say... worth every penny.

Thanks for the help.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2009, 10:09 AM

One thing Linksys falls short on is the setup help they provide. They give way too much to Windows users (like they're all complete idiots), and pretty much none to Mac users. When it comes down to it, the process of setting up a Linksys router is almost identical to what you did for your Extreme, except that you'd just plug an Ethernet cable into the box and fire up your browser. Apple's hand holding with AirPort setup is more subtle and flexible, and it works quite well, don't you think?

Glad you're up and running.

Forum Links
Forum Rules