Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPhoto out---13.4 mb download

iPhoto out---13.4 mb download
tr
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 03:09 PM

here's the url
http://www.apple.com/iphoto/download

i'm installing it right now (actually, it's optimizing system performance at the moment)

here's some of the readme:

About iPhoto

iPhoto is a powerful application you can use to manage your photo collection. You can seamlessly transfer your photos into iPhoto from a digital camera or other source, then use iPhoto's easy-to-use interface to view, organize, and share your photos in different ways.

Requirements
iPhoto requires a Macintosh with built-in USB ports, running Mac OS X version 10.1.2. or later, 400MHz G3 processor or better and 256 MB recommended for optimum performance.

Make sure you have the latest version of Mac OS X. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu, then click Software Update. Click Update Now to retrieve updates for your system. After you install an update, it's a good idea to click Update Now again to make sure you've gotten all the updates that are available.

For a list of printers and digital cameras that work with iPhoto, see the iPhoto Web site at www.apple.com/iphoto

Ordering services are available in U.S. and Canada only and require the English-language version of iPhoto.

Installing iPhoto
If you receive a message that you do not have sufficient privileges to install this software, click the lock icon in the installer and enter an administrator�s name and password. The administrator�s name is shown in the Users pane of System Preferences. For more information, see Mac Help available in the Help menu.

For more information
For help using iPhoto, open the application and then choose iPhoto Help from the Help menu.

Visit the iPhoto Web site at www.apple.com/iphoto

gonna try it out right now!

tr

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 03:29 PM

already downloaded it but want to have a look at that mpkg first. why can't they just give an an app i put into /Applications like omniweb?

i don't get it.

tr  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 03:37 PM

couple notes for iPhoto:

-all imported pictures are placed in Home-->Pictures-->iPhoto Library by default, don't think you can change it

-it can import photoshop files!!! i've only tried a couple, i'll have to try some multi-layered ones to see how it handles them

tr

andi*pandi
Jan 7, 2002, 04:25 PM

I wish it were OS9 compatible. I'd use this way more than iMovie, iTunes or iDVD... not sure if it's enough to make me upgrade to X though.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 04:29 PM

Just importing 3600 images at the moment :-)

Once imported from their original locations, it seems you now have 2 copies.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

wjdennen
Jan 7, 2002, 06:16 PM

I think it's a good thing that you get two copies of the photos, because in iPhoto, you can convert to black and white, or crop, etc. But, there is no graceful way to revert back. (You can always use Undo in the same session.)

I think i found a bug, though.

When exporting to a web page, I can't control how big the thumbnails are. I'd like to make them fit within 400x400, so I set the thumbnail size to 400x400. (I know, that's a pretty big thumbnail.)

But, everytime I export, they end up being smaller than that.

Specifically, the thumbnails seem to revert to 240x180.

Is this working for anyone?

wjdennen
Jan 7, 2002, 06:21 PM

It looks like iPhoto not only copies your imported photos, but it makes backups of them if you edit them within iPhoto.

Buried in the iPhoto Library folder, there should be an "Originals" folders with copies of files you've edited.

Looks like iPhoto could grow and be a disk hog.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: wjdennen ]

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 06:48 PM

Yes, and it could also completely choke every time I try to import my image archive containing ~11k pics. Oh well, iGuess its back to the old, 'creative labeling of subfolders' method...

Nick

fobside
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 12:51 PM

so where does it keep originals when you edit in iphoto? i couldnt seem to publish to a web page either. it just stayed on "uploading picture 1 of 13" the whole time for half an hour or so. i just gave up after a while. any other tips/tricks for iphoto?

Forum Links
Forum Rules