Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just recieved my 1.83ghz macbook pro

Just recieved my 1.83ghz macbook pro
Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2006, 06:23 PM

o.k i sent this laptop out because i was having the issues with the whine noise
hmmm i dont hink apple did anything to this computer..it says logic board replaced
but how come i recieved the laptop just like i how i left it?
my old wallpapers are still there my old settings is like nothing changed. I would think if a logic board was replaced i would have to start from scratch.

what do you think? yeah the whine issue is gone but i think apple says logic board replacement to sound extravagant but in reality they open it do some minor work and claim major repair on it to sound like if actually something was done.

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 14, 2006, 06:36 PM

What they do is make a image of the hdd and than copy it back to the hdd. But a logic bard change usually should only change the mac address nothing more

nate_02
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 06:37 PM

They replaced your logic board, not your hard drive. Your hard drive is a separate device that stores all your info.
-nate

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 06:38 PM

A logic board change would only change the MAC address. What components in your new logic would require different software/drivers than the components on your old logic board? All of the software on your hard drive has no clue the logic board has been changed, so there's no need to wipe the hard drive in this case.

Javizun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2006, 07:13 PM

i was wondering why everything felt the same
i mean i was able to log in to my wireless without entering my network password
if the mac address changed i would think this step of typing my password would be necessary.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 07:29 PM

It would only be necessary if you had limited your wireless network to certain MAC addresses (which is done in the router and not in the Mac hardware). Evidently you have not, so I recommend that you do so now to add that additional level of security to your network. You'll need to do it via your router software interface.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2006, 07:35 PM

Check your serial number. Compare the one that comes on the battery compartment and the one that is displayed on the Macintosh screen. Whenever a mobo is replaced the serial no. changes too. Nevertheless I do not see the Apple technician changing the sticker on the battery compartment.

regards

Forum Links
Forum Rules