Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > NTFS what is it?

NTFS what is it?
kevs
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2019, 07:44 PM

Seagate drives said this ntfs needed be updated after Mojave. I emailed Seagate on facebook and got incoherent answer about this. Do the drives needs this annoying software or is it some loony bin extra utility I don't need? Thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 12, 2019, 03:38 AM

macOS has long been able to read NTFS-formatted drives, but not able to write to them. It sounds like you're using a 3rd party NTFS driver to enable full write access. And it must be a 32-bit driver, hence the warning.

You should identify (or remember) what you installed for full NTFS access. See if that party has an update available. In the meantime, you can ignore that message in Mojave. It won't be until Catalina that 32-bit apps stop working.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2019, 06:06 PM

thanks Reader, I have no idea whats going on. I bought these Seagate 2 years ago.

Are the dependent on NTFS?

reader50
Administrator
Jul 12, 2019, 08:51 PM

You can reformat the drives to HFS+ or APFS. If you don't need to share them with a Windows install. The main reason to use NTFS is sharing a drive with Windows.

You'd have to copy all data off before formatting one, then copy back afterwards.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2019, 09:28 PM

thanks Reader. The verbose email from Seagate mentioned Windows a few times. Yet i have zero interest in Window. I'm just on Mac.

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2019, 09:56 PM

Yes, thanks for this as well - glad to see that MacNN is still a resource with great members!

"Psssst..."

timmerk
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2019, 01:36 AM

If you Get Info from the Finder on the Seagate drive, does it show it's formatted as NTFS, or HFS or APFS?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2019, 05:41 PM

thanks all are OS extended Journaled so I don't know why this software asserted itself as being needed. Should I delete it or is it useful?

Forum Links
Forum Rules