Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What do you think about the Canon s400 & A80?

What do you think about the Canon s400 & A80?
betoranaldi
Nov 2, 2003, 07:25 PM

Looking to buy a digital camera and was wonder if anyone has any suggestions from experience on these two cameras, which on do you think is better and why.

I dont see too much of a difference from the canon website.

Thanks
Brian

ulmer
Nov 2, 2003, 09:20 PM

They both get great reviews. I've used the s400 and it's size is great and it does a wonderful job with picture quality.

The A80 should give similar results with the advantage of more manual controls. If you want to manually set shutter speed, etc you'll have to go with the A80.

The A80 takes AA's and the s400 takes a special rechargable. Some like the rechargeable which has decent battery life. Others like the flexability of being able to use standard AA's in a pinch.

In the end, they're both great. If you don't need manual controls, I'd say go for the s400!

-Brian

MikeD
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 11:20 PM

I have an s400 and LOVE IT! You can't beat that pocketable power it has! Sony has a new cool little camera too that's 5mp and pocketable. you might want to check it out..

It's the Cybershot dsc-t1

But I'm VERY happy with my s400 (and cheaper compact flash cards!)

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

betoranaldi  (op)
Nov 2, 2003, 11:40 PM

Thanks for all of the replys, glad you love them

thanks again
Brian

Zim
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 02:26 PM

One odd quirk is that I think the S230 actaully has more movie ability than advertized on the S400.

Over the years, personally I've gone from Elph(APS film) -> S100 -> S230 and couldn't be happier. (but the S400 has more megapixels, and I think 1x more optical zoom)

Great cameras. Oh and while few ppl would need it, the underwater case for the S230 is absolutely top-notch.. I'm a design engineer and it still impresses me every time I use it.

Cheers,
Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules