Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Checking Canon ink levels

Checking Canon ink levels
Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 06:21 AM

I have a Canon i865 printer that works great in panther. Recently I began to wonder how much ink I still had in the cartridges. The problem is I can't work out where to find this info. The manual speaks of the "BJ printer utility" but despite doing a reinstall I still cannot find this on my computer and nor is it obviously shown on the install CD.

Anyone any ideas?
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

OreoCookie
Jan 25, 2004, 08:03 AM

Canon printers know three different ink levels: full, almost empty, and empty.

But to see how much ink is left, just take them out. The cartridges are transparent
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jamerican
Jan 25, 2004, 10:17 AM

Go to the Canon site to see if they have it there. I have it for my i850 but don't recall if it came with the installation discs or if I got it from the web site.
2007 iMac 24" 2.4 Core2Duo (currently 1Gig Ram), 4 FW400 hd's, 1 FW 800 HD, Brother MFC420N,, Liteon DVD-RW, Epson R320.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Mike Pither:
I have a Canon i865 printer that works great in panther. Recently I began to wonder how much ink I still had in the cartridges. The problem is I can't work out where to find this info. The manual speaks of the "BJ printer utility" but despite doing a reinstall I still cannot find this on my computer and nor is it obviously shown on the install CD.

Anyone any ideas?
Launch print setup utility in your utilities folder click the printer name and hit utility.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Mike Pither  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 12:35 PM

"Launch print setup utility in your utilities folder click the printer name and hit utility."

I have already tried this but the icon is greyed out and doesn't respond. Strange!
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 12:46 PM

the icon is greyed out
Is the printer name highlighted? It must be or the Utility button will be grayed out. Also, you should have the printer connected to the Mac when you do this.

Chris

Mike Pither  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 01:08 PM

Yes I have the printer highlighted in the setup utility and the printer it's self also switched on. I am however printing via airport. Could this perhaps have something to do with it?

OreoCookie
Jan 25, 2004, 01:32 PM

Yes I have the printer highlighted in the setup utility and the printer it's self also switched on. I am however printing via airport. Could this perhaps have something to do with it?
Even if you do it electronically, it just offers the three options �full', �almost empty', and �empty'.

For the most time, it's full to the software. It's a payoff to the simple tank design. I usually check myself.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 25, 2004, 03:05 PM

You can only run the utility on a printer connected directly to the computer -- it will not function on networked printers.

tooki

Mike Pither  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 05:44 PM

Ok thanks tooki, I won't waste anymore time puzzling over why it doesn't work then.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jan 25, 2004, 08:17 PM

I have an i865 also . A shortcut to its utility would be: /Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Utilities/BJPrinterUtility .

But you would rarely need it, as OreoCookie already said, and I can confirm it with f.e. my 300D camera battery status, the world according to Canon is full, almost empty or empty.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules