Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > getting a powerbook soon

getting a powerbook soon
wasd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 08:49 AM

hi all

I am planning on getting a powerbook soon but one thing is making me wait is this thing i read recently...

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fastf...066257,00.html

Has anyone heard about this or it this just a random rumors from fortune.

Ken

f1000
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by wasd
I think a more appropriate question to ask is who hasn't heard about this rumor? The entire stock market moved on this news, or at least that's what the analysts claimed.

In any case, good luck trying to figure out Jobs' next move. Anybody who does know isn't going to risk being sued or axed in order to sate your curiosity.

symphonicreverb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by wasd
hi all

I am planning on getting a powerbook soon but one thing is making me wait is this thing i read recently...

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fastf...066257,00.html

Ken
I don't think that is true at all, but I've heard alot about it. If you are still looking for a PB, I'm selling mine, check out the marketplace.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2005, 03:13 PM

I don't see intel being put in macs other than for usb and communications, for the time being. Intel may be looking at making ppc since all the game consoles are going to be using a ppc product. This was a big blow to intel and they are going to loose a lot of money by that decision unless they start making a ppc. Just don't count on seeing an intel inside sticker on a mac anytime soon. If intel started making ppc it would probably take at least 2 years for anything to come to the market from them.

zed57
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 11:32 PM

2 years now and still no G5 in the Power Books, I think Apple ought to consider putting Centrino chips in their laptops. Up the processing power while giving better battery life all in one fell swoop.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 01:32 AM

PB G5 will come this year...i would wait.

Dinan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2005, 03:24 AM

are you sure about the G5 pb? i think they have many heat issues to deal with...

im also about to purchase a powerbook but people saying it will be upgraded soon is making me hesitant..

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dinan
are you sure about the G5 pb? i think they have many heat issues to deal with...

im also about to purchase a powerbook but people saying it will be upgraded soon is making me hesitant..
the delay it 2 many times and with apple in the news so much they can't risk it. also the powerbook sales are down which make apple make that extra effort.

osxisfun
May 28, 2005, 11:27 AM

actually, powerbook sales are up.

(although i do agree with you, a PB G5 in late sept. is my gut feeling although i have no proof.)

Dinan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2005, 12:30 PM

how much faster is this g5 supposed to be?

osxisfun
May 28, 2005, 12:37 PM

yah now. i just went from a dual 2.0 G5 to a PB 1.67 and for most things* lt is a prerrty much 1:1 speed thing.

meaning my 1.67 is about as fast as a 1.67 G5.

BUT i get portablity. And i have it hooked up to a 20"lcd and my new PB is super quiet. sometimes life is about tradeoffs so i gave up a little speed for portablity. once the pb g5 is out i think it could easiely replace desktops for most people* just like the current pb 1.67 does.

YMV and a better bus on a g5 will help but i am talking about everyday things.

*things that are not hard core like 3 rendering or video / final cut processing

Forum Links
Forum Rules