Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I LOVE my SUV!

I LOVE my SUV! (Page 2)
Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by festeringwounds
Fat chance. SUVs are still just as stupid as they were a month ago. And yeah, sure... a cherokee getting the same MPG as a prelude. And pigs fly too. Your complete and utter inability to have a rational thought never fails.
Drive a Prelude hard, and a cherokee nice, its about the same and guess what now that I drive a SUV, its really the drivers that kill not the SUV. Treat a SUV likes a sports ya it will roll and kill people. I think it has more to do to do with Stupid drivers.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
$5 on Athens, in a 5-3 bid, win determined either by popular consensus or by threadlock default.

Gentlemen, the flag is down.
only $5.00 Im insulted it!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
only $5.00 Im insulted it!
Your a great guy Athens. I enjoy having a chat with you, hope that I can continue to be helpful.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2006, 07:08 PM

Drive a Prelude hard, and a cherokee nice, its about the same and guess what now that I drive a SUV, its really the drivers that kill not the SUV. Treat a SUV likes a sports ya it will roll and kill people. I think it has more to do to do with Stupid drivers.
Stick some OME shocks and 235/75 Pirellis on that Cherokee and you'll be able to throw it around like a BMW.

And my Cherokee still gets more mpg than Rob's SVX.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I'd hate to be as predictable as Rob.

But you are. You even followed Rob to another forum, just so you could bait him there.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2006, 07:40 PM

This thread is pure Ca$hturbation.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
This thread is pure Ca$hturbation.

Don't we all love to play with our Ca$hticles

-t

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 20, 2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
Yep, there's fag boy, just as I thought. And that paper delivery just put another 2000 in the account. For one week.
Fag boy? Do you have a problem with gay people? Oh wait! You're insecure about your own sexuality, hence the SUV, tinkerbell.

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 20, 2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Stick some OME shocks and 235/75 Pirellis on that Cherokee and you'll be able to throw it around like a BMW.

And my Cherokee still gets more mpg than Rob's SVX.
Your cherokee is STILL not sold in the united states.

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 20, 2006, 08:54 PM

Dude. You've obviously never paid attention to my posts. In emergency situations, the poor braking and handling of an SUV puts you at much much greater risk. If you are in an accident, even a minor one can hurt you badly as the rigid frame transmits a lot of energy into the passenger compartment, and the high CG means that you can roll it, crushing the roof, and killing you. SUVs are a stupid idea for people who drive ON THE ROAD. But then again, the shoe fits Athens. All you need now is a PC running windows and you can be 100% retarded.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 08:54 PM

Hi Cody.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Hi Cody.
lol, is this the new "+1"?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 08:59 PM

Yes

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 11:11 PM

Dude. You've obviously never paid attention to my posts. In emergency situations, the poor braking and handling of an SUV puts you at much much greater risk. If you are in an accident, even a minor one can hurt you badly as the rigid frame transmits a lot of energy into the passenger compartment, and the high CG means that you can roll it, crushing the roof, and killing you. SUVs are a stupid idea for people who drive ON THE ROAD. But then again, the shoe fits Athens. All you need now is a PC running windows and you can be 100% retarded.
I have been in a couple emergency situations with it already and guess what, didn't roll it over. As I said its how you drive. If you tailgate the guy in front of u ya you going to roll her. If you always leave space in front of you and beside you, drive at speeds that allow you to get out of emergency situations your not going to have any issues. Its all about the driver not the car.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 20, 2006, 11:17 PM

Hi Athens

Railroader
Banned
Jan 20, 2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
But you are. You even followed Rob to another forum, just so you could bait him there.
Someone from here suggested I check it out. I did. I found out that forum was not a match for me after spending some time there.

Uh... no. I never directed a single post towards Rob there.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 20, 2006, 11:56 PM

<even dumber post>
Originally Posted by itistoday
<dumb question>

</dumb question>
<even dumber post>

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Hey Rob why do you continue to post here even though you have been banned?
For some, negative attention is better than no attention at all.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 12:05 AM

just forget about Rob, the guy is a loser. He might not realize it yet, but one day it will hit him.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 21, 2006, 12:20 AM

just forget about Rob, the guy is a loser. He might not realize it yet, but one day it will hit him off the top of a water tower.

Fixed.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 01:28 AM

Why don't you just say I love $3.00/gallon for gas at 12 miles/gallon. Wait a minute, that's $3.00/12 miles or $1.00/4 miles.

No thanks

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 09:05 AM

It's really not that much money. $.25 a mile?

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 10:35 AM

3 bucks a gallon? Is that in California? it's only 2.20 here.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 21, 2006, 10:38 AM

2.19 here

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 05:41 PM

just forget about Rob, the guy is a loser. He might not realize it yet, but one day it will hit him.
Hey Athens, how's your education coming? Or your skilled trade? You must be doing well in life to afford such wonderful products such as a rusty accord and jeep SUV.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 05:49 PM

That's quite rude

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 06:14 PM

Hey Athens, how's your education coming? Or your skilled trade? You must be doing well in life to afford such wonderful products such as a rusty accord and jeep SUV.
HAHA better then yours since you cant even get the car right, but hey **** off and die already.

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
That's quite rude
So's claiming that the driver makes all the difference and that somehow athens will be safe. BS.

Athens, read this for your own good:

http://www.zen10381.zen.co.uk/rob/suvcounterpoint.html

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 06:47 PM

HAHA better then yours since you cant even get the car right, but hey **** off and die already.
Whatever. I don't wish you death, but unfortunately you might die young because of your poor vehicle choice. You're 3x more likely to die when riding or driving an SUV vs a car because of how poorly they fare in accidents.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 06:55 PM

Whatever. I don't wish you death, but unfortunately you might die young because of your poor vehicle choice. You're 3x more likely to die when riding or driving an SUV vs a car because of how poorly they fare in accidents.
buddy stupid drivers die. Im not a stupid driver. My chances are no more higher being in a SUV then in a car. Idiots that drive there cars beyond the capability of the car are the ones that crash and die.

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 07:24 PM

buddy stupid drivers die. Im not a stupid driver. My chances are no more higher being in a SUV then in a car. Idiots that drive there cars beyond the capability of the car are the ones that crash and die.
Buddy, intelligence has nothing to do SUV statistics. You obviously didn't read the link I pasted. My ex boss, who has never been in a car accident, was rear ended while in his SUv a few years back. He still has neck problems. He was in a traffic jam and a lady drove into the back of him. The heavy duty frame of the SUV gave him severe whiplash.

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 07:25 PM

The following is from the report from the INSURANCE INSTITUTE FOR HIGHWAY SAFETY:

"For example, the rate in cars weighing 3,501 to 4,000 pounds was about half of the rates in pickups or SUVs of similar weight. "

"In large four-wheel-drive SUVs, for example, the death rate was almost three times as high in single-vehicle crashes as it was in collisions involving two or more vehicles (14 deaths per million compared with 40)."

In 1998, there were 130 million passenger cars registered in the USA, and 16 million SUVs. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were 119,000 car rollovers and 36,000 SUV rollovers that year. That means that for every 100,000 vehicles, 91 cars rolled over -- and 225 SUVs, a figure almost three times as high. When it comes to deaths, the disparity is even greater; for every 100,000 vehicles there are 3.4 deaths in car rollovers, but 10.1 in SUV rollovers (a figure over three times as high). As to the rarity of rollover accidents, once again we must look at NHTSA figures. For the 130 million cars, there were 29,000 fatal accidents in 1998 -- a death rate of 22 per 100,000 vehicles. For the 16 million SUVs, there were 4,500 fatalities, which means a death rate of 28 per 100,000. " Link- http://www.stats.org/record.jsp?type=oped&ID=43

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2006, 07:25 PM

Well then he should've bought a Humvee instead of a pussy Suburban.

Just messing around, obviously...
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 07:32 PM

The following is from the report from the INSURANCE INSTITUTE FOR HIGHWAY SAFETY:

"For example, the rate in cars weighing 3,501 to 4,000 pounds was about half of the rates in pickups or SUVs of similar weight. "

"In large four-wheel-drive SUVs, for example, the death rate was almost three times as high in single-vehicle crashes as it was in collisions involving two or more vehicles (14 deaths per million compared with 40)."

In 1998, there were 130 million passenger cars registered in the USA, and 16 million SUVs. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were 119,000 car rollovers and 36,000 SUV rollovers that year. That means that for every 100,000 vehicles, 91 cars rolled over -- and 225 SUVs, a figure almost three times as high. When it comes to deaths, the disparity is even greater; for every 100,000 vehicles there are 3.4 deaths in car rollovers, but 10.1 in SUV rollovers (a figure over three times as high). As to the rarity of rollover accidents, once again we must look at NHTSA figures. For the 130 million cars, there were 29,000 fatal accidents in 1998 -- a death rate of 22 per 100,000 vehicles. For the 16 million SUVs, there were 4,500 fatalities, which means a death rate of 28 per 100,000. " Link- http://www.stats.org/record.jsp?type=oped&ID=43
Yes I saw the facts but what those facts don't show and what you seem to be to stupid to understand is the human equation, how did people drive those cars, how fast, did they tail gate, where they doing there hair and ****ing around with the CD Player. The key is not to get into accidents at all, your logic is well I rather crash a car then a SUV because I will have a better chance of living. My logic is not to get into a crash regardless of what vehicle I am driving which makes those facts useless. No accident, no death. Be it a SUV or 4 door sadden.

One thing I have learned is you have to drive a SUV differently from a car, as such the warning labels inside the SUV also say the same thing. In order for those facts to mean anything it needs to know how the SUVs where being driving. I see idiots on the road maneuvering SUV's like a sports car all the time, I've seen a couple come close to rolling over or losing control. Guess what its not the SUV, its the stupid driver behind the wheel of the SUV.

I know my Jeep could never swing around a car like my prelude could so I don't put myself in that position. Now read, process/analyze and think before your next rant about SUV's.

You should be asking the question why are there so many accidents period.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 07:36 PM

Buddy, intelligence has nothing to do SUV statistics. You obviously didn't read the link I pasted. My ex boss, who has never been in a car accident, was rear ended while in his SUv a few years back. He still has neck problems. He was in a traffic jam and a lady drove into the back of him. The heavy duty frame of the SUV gave him severe whiplash.
And I bet he didn't have his head rest adjusted correctly for his body type. Most people don't. I've been rear ended twice in my life, one the car was totaled, every one but me had any injuries. while I didn't take the time to adjust the head rest for me, it was already setup well for me, that is when I learned how important it was to have the seat, headrest set correct.

Second one was in my lude, I wasn't even hit hard, I had no damage but car behind me had a decent amount of cosmetic damage. I didn't have my head rest right (I got lazy) and even though it was a very light impact, my neck was sore for days. You are to black & white and not looking at all variables of the situations.

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 07:36 PM

The key is not to get into accidents at all
No ****ing **** sherlock. What do you think is going to be easier to avoid accidents in? A nimble car with great handling and brakes, or a heavy vehicle with awful handling, poor response, and shoddy brakes?

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 07:37 PM

And I bet he didn't have his head rest adjusted correctly for his body type. Most people don't. I've been rear ended twice in my life, one the car was totaled, every one but me had any injuries. while I didn't take the time to adjust the head rest for me, it was already setup well for me, that is when I learned how important it was to have the seat, headrest set correct.
It was set fine. He's very particular about everything driving related, he adjust everything in any car. The problem was it was an SUV. A lexus 470 something. The big ones.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 07:39 PM

No ****ing **** sherlock. What do you think is going to be easier to avoid accidents in? A nimble car with great handling and brakes, or a heavy vehicle with awful handling, poor response, and shoddy brakes?

A good driver paying attention and not exceeding the limits of the vehicle they are driving should be able to avoid accidents in any vehicle. Its all about the drivers, not the cars.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
<even dumber post>

<even dumber post>
Kevin, you forgot to close the tag. Now, the whole rest of the thread is twice as dumb!

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 07:40 PM

A good driver paying attention and not exceeding the limits of the vehicle they are driving should be able to avoid accidents in any vehicle. Its all about the drivers, not the cars.
Wrong. There are some situations where you just get totally screwed by other stupid drivers. Like when the lady in the impala hit my SVX. She was turning left from the wrong lane and drove into me as I passed her, because it was a 2 lane 1 way street and she didn't realize it.

http://members.aol.com/cash68/crash.swf

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 07:42 PM

It was set fine. He's very particular about everything driving related, he adjust everything in any car. The problem was it was an SUV. A lexus 470 something. The big ones.
and how do you know it was set fine, most people don't think to ask that question, is he beside you right now to tell you. I highly doubt you have any idea if it was set fine or not. your bias for SUVs is making you make up things such as this post. I know for a fact you have no idea how it was set, you are just assuming. Please be more honest.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 07:45 PM

Wrong. There are some situations where you just get totally screwed by other stupid drivers. Like when the lady in the impala hit my SVX. She was turning left from the wrong lane and drove into me as I passed her, because it was a 2 lane 1 way street and she didn't realize it.

http://members.aol.com/cash68/crash.swf
then you where either driving to fast, not looking far enough ahead or not anticipating what if's or a combination of them all. I've been in that position with some one turning left on a red into my lane. Anticipating stupid things like this I was already approaching the intersection slower which in the end allowed me to break in time not to hit the stupid ****. The guy in the lane beside me was not so lucky and t boned her. Admit it you are a bad driver.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 07:48 PM

just looked at the flash video, in that case why did you not watch your mirrors to see her stupid mistake as it was occurring, you could have floored it or moved to the left a tad, same time honking your horn to alert her of her soon to be ****up. You where not aware of your environment.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 07:52 PM

just looked at the flash video, in that case why did you not watch your mirrors to see her stupid mistake as it was occurring, you could have floored it or moved to the left a tad, same time honking your horn to alert her of her soon to be ****up. You where not aware of your environment.
OK, I'm the last person to stand up for Cash, but you've got to be kidding me. When someone unexpectedly points their car at you and accelerates, no one can be expected to instantaneously floor it and get out of there (assuming that was even possible in the situation.)

The broader point is that no matter how good a driver you are, the possibility of an accident is always there because so much of the environment is out of your control -- and therefore driving a dangerous vehicle isn't a good idea.

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 07:53 PM

and how do you know it was set fine, most people don't think to ask that question, is he beside you right now to tell you. I highly doubt you have any idea if it was set fine or not. your bias for SUVs is making you make up things such as this post. I know for a fact you have no idea how it was set, you are just assuming. Please be more honest.
Dude. He has a lexus with 50 billion options. He has set his headrest because he is asian and SHORT. When i drove it, I put it up. He bitched that I didn't put it back down, so sorry, I know for a FACT he sets his ****ing headrest. Way to make things up in order to pretend SUVs are safe though.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid
OK, I'm the last person to stand up for Cash, but you've got to be kidding me. When someone unexpectedly points their car at you and accelerates, no one can be expected to instantaneously floor it and get out of there (assuming that was even possible in the situation.)

The broader point is that no matter how good a driver you are, the possibility of an accident is always there because so much of the environment is out of your control -- and therefore driving a dangerous vehicle isn't a good idea.
if it was unavoidable, it wouldn't make a difference if it was a SUV or a car, Ca$h's argument that the braking, handling and maneuverability of a SUV sucks. In this unavoidable instance all those points are invalid because it was unavoidable unless Rob is saying a car could avoid it and a SUV can;t which in that case means it was avoidable in the first place which means it should have been avoidable regardless of the vehicle if you are doing your job as a driver.

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 07:56 PM

then you where either driving to fast, not looking far enough ahead or not anticipating what if's or a combination of them all. I've been in that position with some one turning left on a red into my lane. Anticipating stupid things like this I was already approaching the intersection slower which in the end allowed me to break in time not to hit the stupid ****. The guy in the lane beside me was not so lucky and t boned her. Admit it you are a bad driver.
Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. I was driving 25mph. it was 8am, on a 1 way street with two lanes. The car in the right lane slowly starts slowing down. I figure she's going to pull into a driveway or a parking space since she is going so slow. As I passed her, I heard a 'crunch' and my car shook. There was zero indication she was going to turn left. The fact that you are trying to tell me it was avoidable just shows how incredibly stupid you really are. But hey, you also have an SUV so at least you're being consistent with all the other moronic SUV drivers. You fit right in!

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2006, 07:57 PM

Dude. He has a lexus with 50 billion options. He has set his headrest because he is asian and SHORT. When i drove it, I put it up. He bitched that I didn't put it back down, so sorry, I know for a FACT he sets his ****ing headrest. Way to make things up in order to pretend SUVs are safe though.
set conformable doesn't mean set right to be safe. You have no clue if he was leaning forward, had his head turn or any of the details of it. People get serious whiplash in cars too.

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 07:59 PM

if it was unavoidable, it wouldn't make a difference if it was a SUV or a car, Ca$h's argument that the braking, handling and maneuverability of a SUV sucks. In this unavoidable instance all those points are invalid because it was unavoidable unless Rob is saying a car could avoid it and a SUV can;t which in that case means it was avoidable in the first place which means it should have been avoidable regardless of the vehicle if you are doing your job as a driver.
ATHENS! I realize you can't spell correctly, but this really isn't all that complicated. My point was this:

It is best to NEVER get into an accident. A car that handles well and has great brakes and great response will be easier to avoid an accident in than one that handles and brakes like ****. HOWEVER, some accidents are completely unavoidable, and in that case you want a vehicle that isn't going to transmit all the crashes energy straight into the occupants, so you do NOT want an ultra rigid framed vehicle.

Please, please please keep your suv! I beg you! Drive it as much as possible so hopefully you'll die before you have the chance to impregnate some poor stupid girl.

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid

Congrats. You are smarter than Athens (which isn't saying much).

Forum Links
Forum Rules