Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Another motorcycle thread (Ninja 500R)

Another motorcycle thread (Ninja 500R)
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 21, 2007, 04:26 PM

Hi all. I decided the Lounge needed another motorcycle thread, so here it is:

Actually, I'm looking into buying my first motorcycle. After much consideration, I've decided to go with the aforementioned bike: the Ninja 500R. I was looking at the 250, but decided it was just too small for me, both in power and physical size (I'm almost exactly six feet tall). It'll be just me riding the bike, with no passengers for a while. Mostly surface streets, with the occasional freeway once I'm very comfortable. Oh, and I live in Tucson, AZ, if that's at all helpful.

So, thoughts? Reflections? Anyone here who's actually owned this bike? I've been told that it's a great starter sport bike that I won't grow out of; I just want to hear it a few more times before I drop $5K on it.

Oblig image:

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 21, 2007, 04:29 PM

We need an automotive sub forum.
Hi

Rumor
May 21, 2007, 04:41 PM

Just don't get it in yellow.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Just don't get it in yellow.
Well, my options are yellow and silver. Last I checked the dealer only had silver, so it's not actually a concern.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Rumor
May 21, 2007, 05:32 PM

Yellow always seemed so tacky.

Anyhow, it's a good bike. Not too big yet big enough for you. It'll be a good way to learn. I have friends that actually prefer 600cc bikes over 1000cc due to the weight factor.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 21, 2007, 05:32 PM

I own a 1995 Ninja 500. I got it when I was 16 and it's been a great bike. I've rode dirt bikes from an early age so my experience learning to ride a motorcycle wasn't typical.

It's been very reliable and overall a great bike. If you want a real sport bike, something that actually has some power, a 600cc bike has about double the oomph. With the 500 you need to rev it up to about 7000 rpm until you get any sort of power.

If you have any questions ask away.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 21, 2007, 07:50 PM

I'd step up from the 500 to a 600 myself. You'll ride to 500 for a while then start looking longingly at 600s anyways! 600 are fine bikes to learn on: lightweight etc etc. If this is to be a starter bike, buy used. If you happen to not put the stand down all the way and your bike ends up sideways or you tip the bike over for what ever reason, much better it is a used bike and not your brand new pride and joy. Don't disregard a naked bike (like a Triumph Speed 4 or a SV650), as a commuter they can be way more fun than a sport bike.
Remember to get insurance quotes before you buy the bike and shop around for insurance companies. Insurance can be idiotic expensive just because a bike has a fairing.
Everybody has an opinion on this stuff, but the most important thing is buy what makes you grin and makes you want to ride!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

realmeatychunks
May 22, 2007, 01:17 AM

Why buy new? Find a used 500 in good condition. You'll be able to ride it for a year or two then sell it almost for what you payed for it.

You're smart to start on a 500, starting on a 600 really isn't a good idea in general.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2007, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Hi all. I decided the Lounge needed another motorcycle thread, so here it is:

Actually, I'm looking into buying my first motorcycle. After much consideration, I've decided to go with the aforementioned bike: the Ninja 500R. I was looking at the 250, but decided it was just too small for me, both in power and physical size (I'm almost exactly six feet tall). It'll be just me riding the bike, with no passengers for a while. Mostly surface streets, with the occasional freeway once I'm very comfortable. Oh, and I live in Tucson, AZ, if that's at all helpful.

So, thoughts? Reflections? Anyone here who's actually owned this bike? I've been told that it's a great starter sport bike that I won't grow out of; I just want to hear it a few more times before I drop $5K on it.

Oblig image:
Excellent choice for a first motorcycle. Unsolicited advice: everything, yourself, included, is trying to kill you out on the street. Buy safety gear and wear it. Get your license through the MSF. It is a good training. then sign up for the MSF experienced class after you've got two to four weeks on the road. Out on the track, a lot of us are intentionally ride smaller bikes because we can use every ounce of power they offer and they are more fun to ride (counter intuitive it may well be) so you've done the right thing by going with the 500R.

BTW, a lot of my buddies love first timers on 600s. When they wreck the bike, a new race bike is born at 1/3 actual retail cost. 600s are a little too much to take in during the learning period—especially so right after the new motorcyclist learns how to do everything anf thinks they know what they are doing.

Then after you've learned the street, take it too a local practice track
( Last edited by EricTheRed; May 22, 2007 at 02:28 AM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 02:21 PM

Yellow always seemed so tacky.
Bright colors (green, yellow, red) are actually important because people in larger vehicles will notice you. Yellow just might save your life.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Yellow just might save your life.
I'm sure someone buying a crotch rocket has safety high up on their priority list.

nerd
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 02:59 PM

Anyhow, it's a good bike. Not too big yet big enough for you. It'll be a good way to learn. I have friends that actually prefer 600cc bikes over 1000cc due to the weight factor.
I have a CBR954 and doing it again I would opt for a 600. The bigger bikes are nice because of the extra torque for low RPM in town but I think it's overkill when to-from work is your main riding style.

A 600 can really get on it so I would do a 500 if I was just learning. Buy used so after a year of riding and your board you can upgrade to a 600 and not loose out on much money. Just keep in mind that they have a lot of power so respect it and you'll be fine.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2007, 06:29 PM

I was at a suzuki dealership the other day and the sales-stooge jumped down my neck for referring to the ninja as a crotch rocket. I had to double check that I knew what a "ninja" was when I got home. I'm still a little confused

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2007, 06:50 PM

Get a used Harley.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I was at a suzuki dealership the other day and the sales-stooge jumped down my neck for referring to the ninja as a crotch rocket. I had to double check that I knew what a "ninja" was when I got home. I'm still a little confused
Probably one of two things:
1) He has a problem with the term "crotch rocket"
2) He was implying that Ninjas don't deserve the title

Oh, or 3) He's a dumbass

As for yellow, I was actually leaning towards it for the aforementioned safety reasons. The fact that I'm buying a sport bike does not necessarily mean that I'm exhibiting suicidal tendencies.

I'm not emo! Or am I?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Get a used Harley.
Remember that Jesus rode a Harley, that's why he walked everywhere

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I'm sure someone buying a crotch rocket has safety high up on their priority list.
whadda dolt.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 09:15 PM

Your rollseyes burn me to the core.

alligator
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 08:38 AM

You will like a 500 size bike. I'd say go for it. You are getting leathers and a helmet, right? If not, save up and wait to get the bike.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 11:19 AM

I don't know about leather specifically, but I will definitely be getting protective gear (helmet, jacket, etc). I'm leaning towards a textile jacket/gloves, but definitely something. The last thing I want is extensive skin grafts to my back when I slide 30 meters down the road after a collision. Oh, or dying. That would suck too.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2007, 12:06 PM

My MSF class instructor showed us a cool graph where they tested how far certain materials withstood the road before failing. Denim was like 3.5', textiles, kevlar, everything but one was still under 5'. Leather lasted 81'. I'm going with only leather.

Did you get a bike yet?

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 12:49 PM

My MSF class instructor showed us a cool graph where they tested how far certain materials withstood the road before failing. Denim was like 3.5', textiles, kevlar, everything but one was still under 5'. Leather lasted 81'. I'm going with only leather.
Interesting... I'll have to research it a bit more before I make a decision.

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton
Did you get a bike yet?
Not yet, it'll probably be another week or two, at the very soonest.

The Mick
Senior User
May 24, 2007, 06:51 PM

Did you get a bike yet?
That sounds like total horsecrap. 500 Denier Cordura nylon is at least 6-10 times more abrasion resistant than denim. Many textile jackets have sections of 1000 Denier Cordura in high impact areas. Is leather better? Yes, undoubtedly. Is it also twice the cost and way more uncomfortable on a hot day? You bet. It's a tradeoff between price, comfort and protection, but to say Cordura nylon textile gear isn't safe is flat out wrong.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

The Mick
Senior User
May 24, 2007, 07:01 PM

Theo, I have a 2001 Ninja 500 that I bought used. They are great little bikes and very good to learn on. They are also easy to maintain and cheap to insure. Don't let anyone talk you into a 600cc or bigger sportbike like a CBR600 or ZX-6 or GSX-R600, as a new rider you're not ready for the dramatically higher level of performance those bikes are capable of.

Please go to Motorcycle Safety Foundation and sign up for the Basic Rider Course nearest to you, so you can learn the basics in a safe environment and not develop bad habits.

Go check out http://beginnerbikers.org to learn all you will need to know about starting out on a motorcycle. They will all say the same things:
1. ATGATT --> All the gear, all the time
2. Take the MSF Basic Rider Course
3. Start out on a small 250cc or 500cc bike. Remember, this is your first motorcycle, not your last.
4. Buy a used bike, you'll likely drop it once or twice, and the smaller beginner bikes are easy to find and resell well.

Good luck!

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Mick View Post
That sounds like total horsecrap. 500 Denier Cordura nylon is at least 6-10 times more abrasion resistant than denim. Many textile jackets have sections of 1000 Denier Cordura in high impact areas. Is leather better? Yes, undoubtedly. Is it also twice the cost and way more uncomfortable on a hot day? You bet. It's a tradeoff between price, comfort and protection, but to say Cordura nylon textile gear isn't safe is flat out wrong.
Any dealership worth their salt will give you massive discounts on any gear you buy at the time you purchase your bike (if buying a new bike). I bought my wife a nice Hein Gericke jacket with the last bike I bought. Often they will let you roll the accessories purchase into the loan, which is or isn't really that smart, but it gives you a way to spring for a nice jacket, gloves, and helmet with out coughing up a grandish out of pocket after buying a bike. Gear is crucial. My rule has been "Only leave the skin uncovered you can afford to lose". Yah it gets hot on summer days but it is better than being a donorcycle.
Try on helmets before you buy! They all fit differently and you need to find a lid that is comfy. I love Shoei lids, but they fit my noggin the best.

MM-o4
Senior User
May 24, 2007, 11:50 PM

looks good. but as someone who has been riding for just over 2 years I would say to get the cheapest bike you can get second hand for your first bike. YOU WILL DROP IT, bump into things etc... I almost cried when I dropped my bike the second day I had it. But lucky I got cheap and all the damage it did was break the front brake leaver. So I was lucky, also knock on wood haven't done it snice and now have a bigger bike (1000cc Honda VTR - love it!).

Wait for your second bike to go all out. Thats just my advice take it or leave but either way good luck and ride safe

Forum Links
Forum Rules