Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Using a Nikon digital camera for a scanner

Using a Nikon digital camera for a scanner
jjmahoney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 10:28 AM

I just got Delicious Monster and totally love it! I'm barely through entering all my CDs (500+), books (260+) and DVDs (80+), and I figured I'd try to hook up my Nikon Coolpix L11 to use as a scanner to make it go faster. I emailed DM support a few days ago but haven't heard back and just found this forum. Does the camera need to be connected to my iBook via a firewire cable? USB doesn't seem to work. iPhoto opens as soon as I connect the camera, but even if I close iPhoto, or unmount the camera then close it, DM still doesn't see the camera. Any ideas?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2007, 12:39 PM

Sorry about support being slow this past week. I'm out of town on a secret mission this week, so support is being left to the documentation intern.

Anyway, to answer your question, Delicious Library requires a video feed come through QuickTime. If you camera has a live DV mode, such that you can use it with iChat*, it should work. Camcorders typically do; still cameras typically don't.

* the advantage of this is you can go to the Apple Store and get a Genius to help you get your DV camera working with iChat, which should, as a side-effect, also get it working for Delicious Library.

jjmahoney  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Delicious Monster View Post
Sorry about support being slow this past week. I'm out of town on a secret mission this week, so support is being left to the documentation intern.

Anyway, to answer your question, Delicious Library requires a video feed come through QuickTime. If you camera has a live DV mode, such that you can use it with iChat*, it should work. Camcorders typically do; still cameras typically don't.

* the advantage of this is you can go to the Apple Store and get a Genius to help you get your DV camera working with iChat, which should, as a side-effect, also get it working for Delicious Library.
No problem. I figured with the holidays response time was slower.

My digital camera does have a video mode to record video to Quicktime. I'll need to try that. Thanks!

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2007, 03:54 PM

Depending on how the marketing speak translates to implementation. If they mean they produce a DV stream that is available to the QuickTime system it should work. If they mean they will record a video that will live on the camera as a QuickTime file, it will not.

Stream of data == good
File == bad

jjmahoney  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2007, 09:05 AM

Yeah, it doesn't look like it does what I need it to. That's fine. I nearly finished entering all my stuff manually over the weekend. I only have about 50 books left (out of the 210 I already entered). But entering 450 CDs manually was tough. :-) But I love the program so it was fun.

Forum Links
Forum Rules