Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > To buy a Ti or an i......

To buy a Ti or an i......
mplswayde
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2001, 10:06 AM

(note: i have posted this in the powerbook forum also, for best response)
that is the question. I am starting grad school this fall and really was focusing on the DVD iBook (for price - 1499 - 256MB free ram at macconnection)..... then Apple lowered the ed price on the TiBook to 2000$ which leads me to this question. Now that the Ti is lower in price does it make "sense" to shell out the extra 500$ and not have the extra ram? The two biggest pros are the bigger screen (but I've read a ton about how awesome the iBook screen is) and the G4 (which might not be that big of a deal for me as I do not do any graphic intensive work). I really like the look of both of them. It will probably sit on my desk at home a lot and travel to the University and coffee shop with me. How fragile is the Ti? Also, I have been reading up alot on the iBook and just starting on the Ti.... what do you all have to say? (Pros AND cons please) Another advantage - I would be getting a free cd-rw where I would have to buy one eventually with the iBook (what is the speed on this particular free drive?)
I appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2001, 10:53 AM

I agree that the price cut made the TiBooks more attractive and it seems like the new model won't be coming out at least until November so I guess Ti is a good choice. However, it would really depend what you're trying to do with the notebook.

For those who hesitate between Ti and iBook, I usually recommend a Pismo and I will do the same again. Go for Pismo and you won't regret it.

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2001, 04:18 PM

It really does depend on what you use it for. but...........the iBook has many of the features that the TiBook has in a much smaller cheaper package. And the TiBook will probably get updated before the iBook so the iBook you buy now will probably be new a little longer. although the TiBook is a very very nice machine. I still can't get over the features and the overall swankness of the iBook. What a machine for the price.

PS. I have the DVD iBook and I got a 256 RAM chip for less than $50 from Other World Computing. So if you use the educational discount on the iBook it's $1449. So basically it's like getting a free RAM chip once you pay full retail price.

I would also reccommend upgrading the hard drive to 20 gigs. That's what I did and I don't regret it a bit. 10 gigs is a little on the slim side these days.

Both machines are more than enough machine for most tasks. Good luck.!
WWF rules

<ladjshkdbv>
Aug 23, 2001, 10:41 PM

The iBook is a highly overrated toy.

Kestral
Senior User
Aug 23, 2001, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by &lt;ladjshkdbv&gt;:
<STRONG>The iBook is a highly overrated toy.</STRONG>
Even though the TiBook better fits my profile, for those looking for a well-powered subnotebook with an incredibly bright and sharp LCD screen, whether for school, for word processing, or even as a replacement for a consumer-level home computer, the iBook is a great machine. And considering that I've been told those first person shoot'emup cames which need high powered graphics cards don't run very well on the iBook, that would mean that as a toy it actually isn't as apt as you would think.

<si_flippant>
Aug 24, 2001, 08:07 AM

the ibook is a highly overated toy = PC user trawling these Mac boards and spouting out 1 line constructive criticism... what a game eh? You only have to look at CNET's site for "user reviews" of the new ibook to see the crap they type when attacking the ibook... 1 line ansa's cos they have nothing constructive to say or face the facts... wow, i was a PC user once (many years ago)... Just glad my sould didn't get contaminated in the same way

FD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2001, 12:29 PM

I would highly recommend the TiBook over the iceBook. The TiBook is very rugged despite some of the comments you may have read. Mine has seen much abuse(not on purpose, of course) and has not had one single problem. I bought an iceBook about 3 months ago(I needed another portable at the time)and now the only use it gets is web surfing and some email(and then only because my Ti is charging). The Ti's screen is far superior to the iBook and it is much faster. With OS X soon becoming the default os the advantages of the Ti will only increase. You can run OS X on an iBook but it is painfully slow. If this is a computer that you are going to keep for a while I think you would regret buying the iBook.

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: FD ]

Eric Lundgren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2001, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by mplswayde:
<STRONG>what is the speed on this particular free drive?
</STRONG>
The drive in question has a 8x write speed, which isn't shabby for a freebie. Bad news though, if you read the top story this afternoon at macnn.com, the free drive offer ends today, which means you have to buy the TiBook by today (Friday) for you to be able to get the free cd burner. I believe that you can still send in the required forms later as long as you bought the TiBook by today. (at least i hope so )

~eric

-Q-
Aug 25, 2001, 09:27 AM

The screen size of the Ti is very nice, although I completely disagree that the Ti's screen is that much superior. My iBook's screen is the best laptop screen I have ever seen, period. It's a bit on the small side, but that's never been a problem at all. And the sharpness of the image is amazing. Even better than the Ti, IMNSHO.

As for OS X, I think the difference between the G3 and G4 is negligible at this point. I'm running 10.1 on my iBook and OS X is very responsive. I can only see a slight difference between X and 9.

My opinion would be to get an iBook with DVD and buy an external firewire CD-RW for it. The combo drives are slow (relatively speaking) and how often are you going to be need to burn a CD at the coffee shop?

Either way you go, you won't regret the purchase. Both are great machines. I just think the iBook make the best sense economically and feature-wise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules