Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook 2 with external LCD Screen

iBook 2 with external LCD Screen
Lyra
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2001, 02:14 PM

Hi all!

I am buying an iBook 2 (Combo) and I have spotted a cool and quite cheap LCD screen. Now I have seen the quality isn't half bad and for the money it isn't too bad. It is a 15 inch screen as apposed to the 12 niche iBook carries.

Now my question is how stupid or good this idea is?

Can I force to shut the iBook screen off when I am working on the other?

Is there anyone out there who is doing the same? Having an external monitor attached??? And how has it worked out for you?

Also any cheap 512MB of ram to be found ???

Also I am buying an Airport, any tips and tricks would greatly be appreciated...

Thank you for your answers...
�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

New
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2001, 03:20 PM

Well... Since you won't be able to use any higher resolution, or dual displays (you'll only be able to mirror the ibook2 screen). You'll only be gaining a bigger picture/ better wiewing angle (if this screen you've found has that). You'll have no problem closing the lid while working with the external LCD. the built in screen will shut of automaticly.
Personally I think its a waste of money, as the ibook screen is in my opinon rally good. If you got money for an LCD and 512 MB RAM... I'd go for the 400 Powerbook G4... a cheap external CDRW and a 17" CRT... and 256 RAM. This will give you a pro-laptop (faster and more expandable), a real dual display solution and enough RAM at almost the same price... (or if you can hold out till september, the it might ship with an internalCDRW...)
Beeing an owner of a Pismo G3 and an ibook2, there are still jobs I have to turn to my old Pismo G3 to get done...
Having said that, I love the ibook2. And would recomend it to everybody...

New
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2001, 03:22 PM

trippel!!!???!!

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: New ]

New
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2001, 03:24 PM

how stupid is that?

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: New ]

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2001, 04:02 PM

the iBook's screen is awesome. i thought it would be a challenge to use a 12.1 inch screen. But honestly it seems bigger that most screens bigger than it. It's not a challenge at all to use. It's your call but to me (I even have poor eyesite) the iBook's screen is totally swank.
WWF rules

<marjamr>
Aug 25, 2001, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Lyra:
<STRONG>Hi all!

I am buying an iBook 2 (Combo) and I have spotted a cool and quite cheap LCD screen. Now I have seen the quality isn't half bad and for the money it isn't too bad. It is a 15 inch screen as apposed to the 12 niche iBook carries.

Now my question is how stupid or good this idea is?

Can I force to shut the iBook screen off when I am working on the other?

Is there anyone out there who is doing the same? Having an external monitor attached??? And how has it worked out for you?

Also any cheap 512MB of ram to be found ???

Also I am buying an Airport, any tips and tricks would greatly be appreciated...

Thank you for your answers... </STRONG>
:I have my iBook connected to a Sony 15' LCD display via the RGB dongle and I believe it is a big improvement. The Sony screen is even brighter than the iBook's and the larger size helps readability. The Sony has the same native resolution and refresh rate as the iBook. You can close the iBook in OS 9.1 and the screen shuts off but the external still works. In OS X or 9.2.1 the computer goes to sleep when you hut the lid even if an external display is connected. I hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules