Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Campus iBook ads

Campus iBook ads
atunnell
Aug 28, 2001, 10:08 AM

My campus news paper here at Virginia Tech is running ads for apples new iBook, its the digital hub ad. Just thought everyone should knowthat apple is reall trying to get us college kids in the game. I just worked on the staff getting all the dorm kids connected to the network and we had a masssive increase in laptops this year to almost 50% "Virginia Tech requires ecery student to have a computer" unfortunately I only saw one mac, a older imac. I just sold my lder Ibook to get a new laptop, but Apple lost my sale since they cant seem to get a new Powerbook out the door, and the new Ibook while very nice does not meet my needs. So its back to Wintel for my portable needs it looks like... oh well.

graphics84
Senior User
Aug 28, 2001, 11:10 AM

ibook doesn't meet your needs? what are you doing?

I use my ibook for PhotoShop rendering on the road... it does the job superbly

I think you need to have a better reason than that if your in this forum...

what is it?

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2001, 01:17 PM

i wanna know too. my ibook does everything but crash. it's an all terrain computer
WWF rules

Scott Gerenser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2001, 06:52 PM

Yeah, what exactly do you need that the iBook doesn't offer? The only thing I can think of is good 3D video, esp. for game playing. If that was a requirement, PC is really the way to go (but I guess they always are for pure gaming). My friend (who incidentally just started at VT) got a Toshiba 900MHz laptop wtih 14.1" screen and GeForce2Go for about $1500. Apple needs to be a bit more price competitive, methinks.

He did tell me, though, that he went to a math class in a huge building (math emporium or something like that?) and they had row after row of G4s, all with really nice chairs and desks... they had a couple PCs, but the instructors even said "please don't use the PCs, they don't work very well."

atunnell  (op)
Aug 28, 2001, 10:51 PM

Well I need a bigger screen and faster 3D, the new rev if the TiBook is what I want, but I need something now, and by the time Apple releases and ramps up production and ship we are talking end of Oct and thats no good for me, so WinXP is no OSX, but its still nice enough to live with. I think I will get one of the new Imacs down the road when they change that to the new form factor. Yes VT has a building called the Math Emporium, its a converted old Kmart and has 500 G4 boxen, its a marval just to look at the sea of computers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules