Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Mouse Question????HELP

iBook Mouse Question????HELP
Macintosh
Banned
Jul 31, 2001, 12:07 PM

Can the Apple optical mouse be used with the iBook? Is there a connection on the right side for a mouse? Or do you have to go around the side with the cord? Just wanted to know if the Apple Pro Mouse will have enough length? And if not are there any Optical mouses for the ibook with a long enough cord?
THANKS.

n1ce
Jul 31, 2001, 12:22 PM

there is no usb port on the right of the new ibooks (i assume you are refering to this model) - all ports are down the left hand side. Apparently the apple pro mouse will not stretch all the way round the book and still be comfortable to use, and so a usb extension cable would probably be needed.

I have heard that the microsoft intellimouse explorer (think thats what its called?) is very good as it has several buttons and a scroll wheel.

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2001, 02:10 PM

I just ordered the iOptiJr mini optical mouse by Macally:
http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/inpu...e/ioptijr.html

It hasn't arrived yet, but it has a 3 foot cord and I hear it works well. It was only $28 at Outpost.com:
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/68778

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2001, 05:09 PM

I have the MacAlley optijr as well and it's kinda cool actually. There are 2-3 other optical mice out there, the Apple one is just tooooo big to use with the iBook I think.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2001, 05:14 PM

I just bought me a Logitech Optical Trackman Wheel and it's great! 2 buttons and a scroll wheel plus you don't have to worry about having enough room to mouse on your desk wherever you may be. It runs about $39 @ CompUSA and they even give you a $4 warranty that will replace the unit should ANYTHING happen to it... even if you caused it.

NEVER BUY MICRO$OFT. They're EVIL

Mac Guru

GreenMnM
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2001, 05:31 PM

How about an optical mouse with no cord?

I just got a Logitech Cordless MouseMan Optical. The device you plug-in to the USB port is almost the size of a mouse, but then you have an optical mouse with no cord! It'll even work five or so feet away. It's a little bulky to carry around (since you have both the receiver part and the mouse) but so far it seems to do what I wanted. It works right out of the box with OS X (there is no software for OS X yet, but the left button is normal, the right button does a "control" click and the wheel does page up and page down in applications that support that function - like Explorer & Mail). Sorry, haven't tried it yet in OS 9...

-Doug

Opus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2001, 01:21 AM

go with the iopti, jr. got it today and it rocks!!!!

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2001, 03:37 AM

I have a Microsoft Intellimouse. And even though I'm not a big Microsoft fan, I have to give them a thumbs up on this mouse. It has a long cord too so it works beautifully with the new ibook.
WWF rules

gerdelaney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2001, 05:21 PM

I bought a Kensington Optical Mouse in a box (optical) and so far it works great. Cord is long enough to reach the right side. Only problem seems to be on a bright white countertop. On any other surface it works fine

Forum Links
Forum Rules